Another Imperial Announcement

Skippy

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1288200171' post='2494333']
Then why did it require a public cancellation announcement?

Oh, right. The attention.
[/quote]

That's what we're all about. That's why we have this announcement, the SIRIUS announcement, and our ally TKTB's announcement about their one year. Looks like TIO and its allies all [i]love[/i] the spotlight.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1288053353' post='2493200']
[color="#0000FF"]Did you really sign a treaty because a member in each of your respective alliances liked each other? How stupid. Using that logic, should the GOONS sign a treaty with NSO because of Nippy's undying admiration for me?[/color]
[/quote]

Heavens to Betsy! :blink: Think of the children! :(

[quote name='James Wilson' timestamp='1288204930' post='2494368']
Good luck folks.

Tell me, what do you do when you cancel a treaty?
[/quote]
Well, I typically don't announce the cancellation of an Optional treaty unless the other partner wants it, and I especially wouldn't announce the cancellation of a treaty that the cancellers are falling all over themselves to convince everybody was a "joke treaty" to begin with.

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1288209728' post='2494392']
Well, I typically don't announce the cancellation of an Optional treaty unless the other partner wants it, and I especially wouldn't announce the cancellation of a treaty that the cancellers are falling all over themselves to convince everybody was a "joke treaty" to begin with.
[/quote]

It was a joke treaty, yes, but there were also valid OD and OA clauses in the treaty that [i]could[/i] be activated, as Skippy and I have mentioned before. <_<

Edited by Sentinal

[quote name='Sentinal' timestamp='1288210313' post='2494401']
It was a joke treaty, yes, but there were also valid OD and OA clauses in the treaty that [i]could[/i] be activated, as I've mentioned before. <_<
[/quote]
Which brings us back to the point that precious few people announce the cancellation of ODPs anymore. With the number of them that exist, and the low impact they have on the political sphere, it just really isn't worth it.

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1288053353' post='2493200']
[color="#0000FF"]Did you really sign a treaty because a member in each of your respective alliances liked each other? How stupid. Using that logic, should the GOONS sign a treaty with NSO because of Nippy's undying admiration for me?[/color]
[/quote]
Make a friend in the other Pandora's Box alliances and you too could join, and wear those sloth sigs unironically! :v

In all honestly, if it weren't a joke treaty the clause would be monumentally stupid.

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1288210372' post='2494403']
Which brings us back to the point that precious few people announce the cancellation of ODPs anymore. With the number of them that exist, and the low impact they have on the political sphere, it just really isn't worth it.
[/quote]
Well go bug VE then.

[quote name='Arrnea' timestamp='1288174480' post='2494157']
Actually, you completely missed the point of the treaty. The point was that Bern and Elrich [b]hated[/b] each other.
I was the one who wrote the treaty as a kind of joke based on this and the SOS Brigade is still very much stuck with me, thankyou very much. ;)
[/quote]
:blink: The other way made more sense. This is just stupid.

[quote name='Poyplemonkeys' timestamp='1288184895' post='2494227']
So you signed a treaty that stated it was only active when two members that hated each other were in the opposite alliances, and when that obstruction to your relationship was removed the treaty was automatically cancelled? It may just be the most retarded thing I've ever seen.
[/quote]
Yeah, it's definitely up there.

[quote name='Sentinal' timestamp='1288210313' post='2494401']
It was a joke treaty, yes, but there were also valid OD and OA clauses in the treaty that [i]could[/i] be activated, as Skippy and I have mentioned before. <_<
[/quote]
Allow me to review the definition of [url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke"]joke[/url] with you

[quote]Definition of JOKE
a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting : kidding <can't take a joke> c : practical joke d : laughingstock
: something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter <consider his skiing a joke — Harold Callender> —often used in negative constructions <it is no joke to be lost in the desert> [/quote]

Emphasis mine. I believe the second definition applies here. If it had valid OD and OA clauses, it was a real treaty, it wasn't a joke. It may have been worded in such a way to be humorous, but it wasn't a joke treaty. Joke treaties are traditionally treaties that you have no intention of of following, you've stated that that wasn't the case.

Do I care? Not really, but it is a bit annoying to see people in SOS and TIO tripping all over themselves to say that the treaty wasn't real and didn't mean anything and then have those same people backpedaling and saying that it was a real treaty and could be honored/acted on.

Edited by Duncan King

[quote name='Sentinal' timestamp='1288057824' post='2493247']
If you had read the treaty, it had OD and OA clauses in there.
[/quote]

[quote name='Skippy' timestamp='1288060227' post='2493266']
A treaty is a treaty. Just because it's not as strong as another treaty, doesn't take away the legitimacy of it <_<
[/quote]

[quote name='Arrnea' timestamp='1288188401' post='2494257']
The treaty was automatically [b]suspended[/b] when those two people left, not cancelled.

It has only just been [b]canceled[/b] now by TIO (to be honest, SOS would have gotten around to it sooner or later).

I'll say it again, [b]this was mostly a joke treaty[/b].
[/quote]

Now where did TIO and SOS ever "trip over itself" to say that the treaty wasn't valid and real?

Certainly aspects of it were humorous, fulfilling definition #1 from the lovely definition you provided, but TIO and SOS would take the time out to cancel it because there were [i]valid OD and OA clauses in there that could be activated[/i]

[quote name='Felix von Agnu' timestamp='1288212723' post='2494429']
Wait....what?
[/quote]
You recently announced the cancellation of your GATO ODP, correct? I was merely saying that if he doesn't like ODP cancellations being announced, he may as well !@#$%* in them all. :v:

Edited by Locke

To put it simply, the way I see this treaty is that it was basically a legitimate treaty, done in a way to make it somewhat unique from other Optional treaties. Yes there've been ONAP clauses before (iirc, that is..), but the way we made the whole treaty just had that personal touch to it. The joke of it, we all (except for Elrich :v:) found amusing. If you don't see the fun side of it, that's your problem. We can't please everyone.

[quote name='Sentinal' timestamp='1288212081' post='2494418']Certainly aspects of it were humorous, fulfilling definition #1 from the lovely definition you provided, but TIO and SOS would take the time out to cancel it because there were [i]valid OD and OA clauses in there that could be activated[/i]
[/quote]

Except it didn't contain anything that could be activated because it was suspended for the period of time that those two members were not in their alliances thanks to that ridiculous clause. So essentially you've announced the cancellation of a non-functioning optional treaty. This thread makes me think of Paris Hilton and I hate you for it.

[quote name='Poyplemonkeys' timestamp='1288255017' post='2495059']
This thread makes me think of Paris Hilton and I hate you for it.
[/quote]

To be fair, we drink more. Rather, I drink more and blame everyone else for it. But whatever works.