SoTW #14: Voting

SinOfNemesis

Which sig is the best?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Thissstupid' timestamp='1282507056' post='2426799']
I love it how Cheyenne has the most votes, clearly proves just how good of quality Cheyenne's work is.
Onward to victory Cheyenne!
[/quote]
It clearly states how CN feels about Graphics that have nothing to do with the specific alliance that they're residing in.

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1282349693' post='2425153']
[color="#0000ff"]I would like to know how Cheyenne's entry is "lulz." Considering that the rest of you have merely found an image online, applied some filters to it PhotoShop and then called it "art," I fail to see where you have room to comment. Cheyenne's work, though simple in its nature, attempts to make a commentary on mythology that reflects the artists view. In this case the artist clearly sees mythology, of cultures, as essentially tales prophesying the end of the world. Whether or not we care to agree is for another discussion, but it cannot be denied that a statement is at least being made. This whereas the other contestants have merely done child's work. While I am not saying your work is comparable to scribbles, as one uneducated in digital art I can safely say what you have made is something that even I could do. Searching for an image, cropping it, and then creating a background and putting in effects and filters is not the groundbreaking work most of you seem to think it is. It does not take a true visionary or artist to do any of that, and consider how skilled youngsters are with computers these days, I still assert that this is child's work.

While Cheyenne may not yearn to be as fancy as yours, what his work lacks in effects it makes up for in message. It is without a doubt that Cheyenne has created the only true piece of art in this competition, and is quite frankly one of the most accurate reflections on modern society's view of ancient mythology. We view it as rubbish, as childish stories, and the artist depicts it as such. This is much more than can be said for any of the others in this contest.[/color]
[/quote]

Only the naive simpletons who cannot tell their left hand from their right view myths, current or historical, as things that prophesies the end of the world. The more educated community members would know, that mythology covers much more than just the end of the world stories.

Yes, Cheyenne's does send such a message and I applaud him for doing such a thing. Personally though, I find it lame and boring.

With my signature I tried to ask a question to my viewers about what a myth is. I was inspired by three artists, Davian, Sky and Puppets, when they had a spat about if Freddie was a myth. So I decided to make a piece of art that posed that question. What is a myth. When you see my image, you have no idea what it is, much like a myth.

My picture, if you couldn't tell(I can't either) is a picture of Voldemort. He represents what happened. The dark background of my image symbolizes the story. When a story is told there is several versions of the event. Not one is the complete truth. Thus the reasoning for a dark background. The funky looking colors represents the warping of the original story. I'm sure all of you have played telephone. If you haven't this is the basic summary. You say a sentence to the person to your right(or left it doesn't matter) and they say it to the person next to them and it goes on. Now, at the end the story is completely ruined. The basic is there but, the story is ruined. Much like the original image. I only wish I had more time to appropriately do the sig.

And, for your information, I prefer the term "Masterpiece"

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282504717' post='2426767']
Thank you, oh glorious CN Artists, for informing me that my art isn't actually art. From now on I know that I have to spend hundreds of dollars on photo-editing software to be considered an artist. I also know that if the people in power don't like your art, they can always just disqualify you from winning a competition.

The greatest periods for art in history have always been the ones in which the elite determined what art was.
[/quote]
Personally, I enjoyed the beard. Nice touch.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1282429368' post='2426025']
You can throw your credibility away by changing the rules halfway through the vote and whining about people voting for the lulz entry, but Cheyenne's success in this contest is as much a comment on the artistic quality of the other entries as it is on Cheyenne's entry.
[/quote]

It's not a comment on artistic quality of Cheyenne's sig at all, it's a comment on how NSO thought it would be funny to $%&@ up a sig contest by inserting a lulz sig and then mass voting for it.

[quote name='Davian Thule' timestamp='1282447916' post='2426273']
Thanks

Correct, here's another I've been tussling with.

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/sb669l.png[/IMG]

I personally think I over topaz'd the Freddy and Wolverine sigs. The Topaz on the wolverine was basically to make him more veiny and show off the effects.

I really don't care what RV and D34th have been on about. What the "real" artists already know is that CN is not a graphically orientated forum or community for that matter. For these reasons, most of us (me at least) don't really care about winning. We just like entering weekly and tossing in some nice submissions.
[/quote]

I like the wolverine sig as well- how do you do your topazing?

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282504717' post='2426767']
Thank you, oh glorious CN Artists, for informing me that my art isn't actually art. From now on I know that I have to spend hundreds of dollars on photo-editing software to be considered an artist. I also know that if the people in power don't like your art, they can always just disqualify you from winning a competition.

The greatest periods for art in history have always been the ones in which the elite determined what art was.
[/quote]

Raise your hand, sig-makers, if you spent hundreds of dollars on photo-editing software.
*cricket*
/me keeps his hand down.

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1282513811' post='2426906']
Raise your hand, sig-makers, if you spent hundreds of dollars on photo-editing software.
*cricket*
/me keeps his hand down.
[/quote]

Sky told me a while ago that she has a legit copy of CS3? When I was pimping out CS5.

[quote]It's not a comment on artistic quality of Cheyenne's sig at all, it's a comment on how NSO thought it would be funny to $%&@ up a sig contest by inserting a lulz sig and then mass voting for it.[/quote]
It's not a public vote, how would you know this?

[quote name='SinOfNemesis' timestamp='1282427888' post='2426004']
Due to my own mess up and putting up an entry that did not make a cut into the entries in the original topic, there will be two winners for this round: one will be as it seems "lulzy" and the second one will be awarded to the runnerup for actual art skills.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Well, there goes any credibility that this contest had. You create a "runner up" award just for this contest because the actual winner is either not part of your artists clique, and his style defers your norms and standards. Now everyone can see what a farce this competition is.[/color]

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1282541045' post='2427336']
[color="#0000FF"]Well, there goes any credibility that this contest had. You create a "runner up" award just for this contest because the actual winner is either not part of your artists clique, and his style defers your norms and standards. Now everyone can see what a farce this competition is.[/color]
[/quote]
In the words of the TF2 Heavy, cry some more.

Oh and I wish I was as cool as you, Chey. :rolleyes:

Edited by Davian Thule

I am with RV on this one guys, not because of all that stuff he posted but because Chey made a sig and entered it in a sig contest. He has as much business facing the vote as the rest of the creators that entered their creations. If there cannot be a level playing field, then we have no business having this contest. Might as well have a peer review instead of an open poll.

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282540284' post='2427328']
Anyone interested in a collectible sig to "stick it to the man", here you go.

[img]http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy190/cngondor/myth-1-1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Hey, can you turn "I Believe" into "Believland"? Since I kinda believe a lot of things. Like the Browns could have another winning season <_<

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1282541725' post='2427353']
I am with RV on this one guys, not because of all that stuff he posted but because Chey made a sig and entered it in a sig contest. He has as much business facing the vote as the rest of the creators that entered their creations. If there cannot be a level playing field, then we have no business having this contest. Might as well have a peer review instead of an open poll.
[/quote]
If they just kept an open mind and realized this was for fun...

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1282541045' post='2427336']
[/quote]

This contest had some credibility before that? I thought we were just fake artists who produce pieces with no originality and waste money with useless programs. :laugh:

I think I'll never participate of SOTW again since it hasn't your seal of approval anymore. :frantic:

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1282513811' post='2426906']
It's not a comment on artistic quality of Cheyenne's sig at all, it's a comment on how NSO thought it would be funny to $%&@ up a sig contest by inserting a lulz sig and then mass voting for it.
[/quote]
I resent the fact that you are calling Cheyenne's sig a "lulz" sig. It is obviously only because he did his on MSPaint and not your oh so cool CS17 photoshop or whatever. He has as much right to have his sig voted on as the rest of you "artists".

[quote name='Sulmar' timestamp='1282542001' post='2427365']
I resent the fact that you are calling Cheyenne's sig a "lulz" sig. It is obviously only because he did his on MSPaint and not your oh so cool CS17 photoshop or whatever. He has as much right to have his sig voted on as the rest of you "artists".
[/quote]

We're on 23.67 now. Try to keep up. And I prefer the term "Creator"

[quote name='Believland' timestamp='1282541922' post='2427360']
Hey, can you turn "I Believe" into "Believland"? Since I kinda believe a lot of things. Like the Browns could have another winning season <_<
[/quote]
Hey, the Browns could have another winning season good sir. :mad:

[quote name='Sulmar' timestamp='1282542193' post='2427370']
Hey, the Browns could have another winning season good sir. :mad:
[/quote]

Not if they keep playing in the rain like they did Saturday. And, I locked eyes with both Seneca and Joe Haden that night. I think that payed off for freezing in the rain.

Congrats, Chey. I hope you enter more.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1282542702' post='2427379']
Good! The more the merrier. I am thinking one of the aims of this should be to get more people into graphical expression.
[/quote]
You know the old quote (but Davian doesn't), "the medium [b]is[/b] the message."

Edited by New Frontier