Cup of Nations I

Michael McBride

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football fans all over Cochin are disappointed at the National Team not progressing the Cup of Nations but the King of Cochin personally congratulated the team members for a game well played and not to be disheartened by this result. Team Cochin would once again get an opportunity to redeem itself. Meanwhile it has to train even more strenuously to improve its game.

While disappointed at the Slavic defeat in the knockout round, the fans are still thunderously behind their team in the loser's quarters, and have apparently chosen Transvaal and Novak as their favorites for the playoffs.

[center][img]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3181/article123172407595b170.jpg[/img]

"The people of Denmark are over-the-moon with this turn of events, and I mean that quite literally. We shall start preparations to fire a rocket over-the-moon with the ending point being some randomly determined location which we have no idea where."[/center]

[quote name='Pravus Ingruo' date='27 May 2010 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1275012881' post='2314137']Transvaal also fielded a squad of bench players and reserves against the Athenian Federation. [/quote]

[color="#000080"]Well played... as in RP'ed!!!

In a (for us) meaningless game, that is [u]exactly[/u] what I would have done: fielded my second-line players and rested up my starters. You must have figured that out from reading old LM game reports[/color] ^_^

[quote name='Botha' date='28 May 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1275090453' post='2315058']
[color="#000080"]Well played... as in RP'ed!!!

In a (for us) meaningless game, that is [u]exactly[/u] what I would have done: fielded my second-line players and rested up my starters. You must have figured that out from reading old LM game reports[/color] ^_^
[/quote]

Or just getting my $@! kicked by you in Liga Mundo enough, lol.

[size="5"][u][b][center]QUARTER FINALS[/center][/b][/u][/size]

[u][b]Loser’s Quarters[/b][/u]
Cochin v. [b]GDR[/b] 0-2
[b]Texas[/b] v. Louisiana 2-2 (3-0p)
[b]Slavic Federation[/b] v. Australia 1-0
[b]Athenian Federation[/b] v. Wilsons Promontory 1-0

The [b]German Democratic Republic[/b] blasted the [b]Kingdom of Cochin[/b] early with two straight goals in under three minutes as it was obvious from the beginning who was taking the chance to get more international experience seriously. Cochin's defense tightened up after that, but it was too late as their offense never got going. In a battle of border buddies, [b]Texas[/b] and [b]Louisiana[/b] tied in regulation 2-2 after a 88th minute goal from Texas. The Lone Stars carried that momentum into the penalty stage, where they shut out Louisiana and scored three of their own, wining 2-2 (3-0p). Both teams from down under fell to their European opponents as the [b]Slavic Federation[/b] took care of business against [b]Australia[/b], scoring in stoppage time before the end of the first half and then pitching a scoreless second half for the 1-0 win, and the [b]Athenian Federation[/b] used a 5th minute goal to down [b]Wilsons Promontory[/b] 1-0 as well.

[size="5"][u][b][center]QUARTER FINALS[/center][/b][/u][/size]

[u][b]Carthage[/b] v. York 1-0[/u]
Heartbreak is the only word that can describe this game for fans of the home team. In a game that looked sure to be headed to a penalty shootout, players from the Republic of York stopped when they heard an inadvertent whistle from the stands, thinking that the stoppage time after the second half was over. However, the head official had not blown his whistle and the players from Carthage did not stop. This turned into a two on none breakaway from the African side and they easily put the ball past the York keeper for the game winner. Despite the protests of the home side, the goal stood and Carthage walked off the field celebrating as the York side and their fans merely starred on in disbelief.

[u][b]Denmark[/b] v. Transvaal 1-1 (5-4p)[/u]
The second game featured the largest upset of the entire tournament as Denmark, a team that needed two wins in their last two games along with some healthy doses of help from the two teams from Down Under, shocked Transvaal, winning 5-4 on penalty kicks. The Denmark side came out with unexpected quickness and tenacity, controlling the play and peppering the Transvaal keeper with shots. In the 23rd minute, one finally slipped past. After an exceptional diving stop produced a rebound, a quick shot by a Denmark striker ricocheted off a Transvaal defended and into the back of the net. After a moment of shocked silence, the Denmark side exploded in celebration. The Springboks started pushing after that goal, their hallmark physical style starting to punish the Danes, but their shots either missed the target or flew straight into the Denmark keeper's hands. In the 72nd minute, they finally caught a break off a bad turnover by the Danes in their own zone that saw a laser shot into the lower right corner of the net to tie things up at one all. The Springboks continued to push, knowing their biggest weakness would indeed be penalty kicks. However, after the game ended in a 1-1 tie, it went to PKs, and Transvaal's weakness showed on their final shot as the try completely missed the target and the Danes swarmed the field, knowing they had beaten the favorites for the tournament.

[u]PRC v. [b]Isocoles[/b] 0-0 (4-5p)[/u]
In the game between the People's Republic of China and United Isocoles, everyone expected a defensive battle as the two teams had only combined for eight goals in twelve games, and a defensive struggle is exactly what they got. Both teams almost seemed content to simply sit in their own zones and not let the other team close to the net and let penalty kicks decide everything. And it seemed like extra penalty kicks would be needed until the Isocoles keeper guessed correctly and timed his jump perfectly on the fifth PRC shooter, tapping the ball just wide of the post. The next Isocoles shooter buried the ball in the back of the net to send them to the semifinals.

[u]France v. [b]Novak[/b] 1-3[/u]
The major Cinderella story of the tournament came to an undignified end in the quarterfinals. Novak completely outclassed the French side for the entire game, scoring twice within the first ten minutes and then adding another at the 30th minute, heading into the break up 3-0. France got a late goal in the second half to put themselves on the scoreboard, but they were never really a threat to take more off Novak's lead. The Arabians advance to the semis and with Transvaal's defeat, now look to be the favored side.

An interesting side note to the quarterfinals, both teams from Groups 1 and 2 were eliminated. Due to the way the matchups were formulated, Denmark will face Novak and Carthage will face Isocoles, the third time each team will have faced each other.

[u][b]Loser’s Semis[/b][/u]
Cochin v. Wilsons Promontory
Louisiana v. Australia
GDR v. Athenian Federation
Texas v. Slavic Federation
York v. France
PRC v. Transvaal

[u][b]Semi-Finals[/b][/u]
Isocoles v. Carthage
Novak v. Denmark

[b]Respect for York[/b]

The "Carthaginian" team, now officially not citizens of Carthage, scored an unlikely victory over York after a controversial shot to put the team ahead 1-0. While the goalscorer celebrated, the team captain actually attempted to tell the referee that the goal should not be counted. The goal stood, however, and the Carthaginians left in shaky spirits, not knowing whether the win would ever be considered legitimate.

The team knelt and said a multireligious prayer for the York team before walking off the field, and the coach in the press conference afterward heartily praised York and said that there would be no trash talk over the victory.

[b]UI TEAM CAPTAIN:[/b]

I am are honored and excited to be fighting against Carthage next week for the semifinals. I hope it will be a clean game. Also, Poya Raiz and Oceana themselves will be attending the game. Whether win or lose, I will always be proud of my team.

[center][img]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/807/lordtriesman001.jpg[/img]

"Transvaal were worthy opponents and are truly a magnificent team. We are honoured to have beaten such tough competition. We are somewhat amused that we are going to be going up against Novak for the 3rd time, yet hopefully the phrase '3rd Time Lucky' shall apply to this meeting and hopefully, if it does occur, we shall be heading to the finals. If not, we've had an excellent run and we have truly enjoyed this tournament."[/center]

[center][size="5"][u][b]LOSER'S SEMI-FINALS[/b][/u][/size][/center]

[b]Cochin[/b] v. Wilsons Promontory 0-0 (4-2p)
[b]Louisiana[/b] v. Australia 1-1 (4-2p)
[b]GDR[/b] v. Athenian Federation 2-0
[b]Texas[/b] v. Slavic Federation 0-0 (3-2p)
[b]York[/b] v. France 2-0
[b]PRC[/b] v. Transvaal 1-0

In the games to decide who would play in what place games, [b]The Kingdom of Cochin[/b] beat [b]Wilsons Promontory[/b] 4-2 on penalty kicks after the game ended 0-0 in regulation. The game was mostly highlighted by the ineptitude of Wilsons and missed chance after missed chance by Cochin. At least a half dozen times a shot from a Cochin player would just barely miss the net or ricochet off the post. Another half dozen times it was saved by the Wilsons keeper. Wilsons Promontory, meanwhile, could barely even get a chance on net during regulation, and that struggle carried over into the penalty kicks as they missed the target completely twice, allowing Cochin to win. In the second game involving a team from Down Under, the [b]Queendom of Australia[/b] and [b]Louisiana[/b] played to a 1-1 tie in regulation, and then Louisiana saw more of their shots hit the back of the net during penalty kicks, winning 4-2 there. Regulation was marked by a very even struggle between the Bayou Boys and Australia, with neither team scoring in the first half and Louisiana striking first in the second. It only took Australia six minutes to tie the game back up and neither team could score the rest of the way, setting up the penalty kicks. The penalty kicks were highlighted by the stellar play of Louisiana's keeper, who blocked away two extremely difficult shots. In a battle between European powers who had each expected to do better, the [b]German Democratic Republic[/b] beat the [b]Athenian Federation[/b] 2-0. After an early Athenian flurry of three shots in the first ten minutes, the Germans dominated the other eighty minutes of play, barely allowing the ball out of the Athenian end of the field. Goals just before and just after the halftime whistle punctuated the GDR's day, sending them off with another win in the loser's bracket. [b]Texas[/b] and the [b]Slavic Federation[/b] met on the pitch after them, and yet another game ended regulation with a 0-0 tie. This was another evenly matched game, neither team really dominating and both getting their fair number of chances on net. Those chances just never seemed to be going in. During the penalty kicks, neither team was very efficient as both teams missed the target multiple times, but Texas ended up on top, winning 3-2. The home side played in the second to last game, as the [b]Republic of York[/b] played against the darlings of the tournament, the [b]Empire of France[/b]. Still obviously ticked from their last minute loss to Carthage in the quarterfinals, the York side came out with a fire that was unmatched by the French side. Two goals in the first twenty minutes put the French into a hole that they never recovered from. Not looking to completely blow the French out, York pulled back into a defensive shell for most of the rest of the match and coasted to a 2-0 win. In the final game, the [b]People's Republic of China[/b] beat a team of reserves from [b]Transvaal[/b] 1-0. The Springboks never seemed to really get motivated, but their defense still made it exceptionally difficult for the PRC to get through. In the 52nd minute, the Chinese finally pushed through for a goal, the only marker of the game.

[center][size="5"][u][b]SEMI-FINALS[/b][/u][/size][/center]
[u]
Isocoles v. [b]Carthage[/b] 0-2[/u]
Heading into this game, Carthage was a 3-1 underdog from the oddsmakers, but it didn't show on the field. The Africans took the game directly to the boys from United Isocoles, winning 2-0 in a simply dominating performance. From the opening whistle, United Isocoles looked completely outclassed as it seemed Carthage wanted to avoid a repeat of the last game. A goal in the 9th minute set the tone, and Carthage added the insurance marker in the 37th minute. Using their substitutions for defenders at the start of the second half, Carthage focused on keeping Isocoles away from the net and did an exceptional job of it. Carthage celebrated their way into the finals, with their opponent to be determined in the next game.

[u]Novak v. [b]Denmark[/b] 0-1[/u]
To call Novak a favorite over Denmark would have been an understatement. Despite their penalty kick win over the giants in Transvaal, Denmark still came into the game at 4-1 underdogs. But once again, the Danes overcame their shortfalls to beat a superior team, this time doing it in regulation with a 1-0 win over the new favorites to win the tournament. A goal off a breakaway in the 53rd minute sent the Danish fans into a frenzy and stunned the Arabs. Though Novak put up a spirited attack through the rest of the match, they were unable to ever get any quality chances on net and found themselves relegated to the 3rd place game against Isocoles instead of the Championship Game against Carthage.

Early odds have Carthage as a 1.5-1 favorite with a goal spread of .5 goals.

[u][b]Loser’s Finals[/b][/u]
3rd Place Game: Isocoles v. Novak
5th Place Game: York v. PRC
7th Place Game: France v. Transvaal
9th Place Game: GDR v. Texas
11th Place Game: Athenian Federation v. Slavic Federation
13th Place Game: Cochin v. Louisiana
15th Place Game (Worst of the Worst): Wilsons Promontory v. Australia

[u][b]Finals[/b][/u]
Denmark v. Carthage

Isocoles went under 2 riots in Cleveland and COF, killing 10 people and injuring 50, plus causing over 2 billion in damages.

[b]UI Team Captain:[/b]

Though I am proud of my team, I am horrified to see we LOST. We no longer have honor or glory, and it looks like a sad day. Carthage may have been good opponents, but we do not like them much right now.

[center][img]http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3526/article006759b47000005d.jpg[/img]

"Denmark has demolished yet another opponent. It was a well played match and we are already preparing ourselves for the final against Carthage. The finest alcohol beverages have already been imported from the German Democratic Republic to prepare our citizens for this most colossal of games."[/center]

Oh is that so?

"The state of Denmark believes there must be some sort of match fixing deal going around which is preventing the glorious nation of Denmark from scoring any goals. We shall keep a close eye on the referee(s) and their conduct to make sure that they actually do their job correctly and do not just give all the decision(s) to the other side."

"Novak must have clearly paid the officials off. How is that they always got all the decisions go their way while every attempt we had at goal was either considered offside, resulted in our players being brutally taken down or some minor infraction resulting in play stopping and allowing the Novak team to take advantage of it. The fact that MediaCorp officials congratulated the coaches of Novak is also suspect. There is definitely foul play afoot which I call for other nations such as Texas, the Athenian Federation and Louisiana to investigate."

[color="#000080"][url="http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Cup_of_Nations_I"]Cup of Nations I[/url] wiki page - under construction...

I hope this is okay. I've completed the preliminary round section, I'll add the playoffs on Thursday when I have more time.

Pravus Ingruo... could you please write up something for an introduction section describing the tournament and I'll then add that as well?

Correct me if I am wrong to assume, but I'm thinking that the Cup of Nations should be viewed as the CNRP-nation-dedicated tournament equivalent of the Transvaal World Cup which is a tournament dedicated to IG-nations.[/color]

[quote name='Botha' date='02 June 2010 - 12:23 AM' timestamp='1275452592' post='2320136']
[color="#000080"][url="http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Cup_of_Nations_I"]Cup of Nations I[/url] wiki page - under construction...

I hope this is okay. I've completed the preliminary round section, I'll add the playoffs on Thursday when I have more time.

Pravus Ingruo... could you please write up something for an introduction section describing the tournament and I'll then add that as well?

Correct me if I am wrong to assume, but I'm thinking that the Cup of Nations should be viewed as the CNRP-nation-dedicated tournament equivalent of the Transvaal World Cup which is a tournament dedicated to IG-nations.[/color]
[/quote]

OOC: Looks great, Botha. I'll have something written up for you today. And you are correct in your assumption about this being for CNRP-dedicated nations.

[center][size="5"][u][b]LOSER'S FINALS[/b][/u][/size][/center]

3rd Place Game: Isocoles v. [b]Novak[/b] 0-2
5th Place Game: [b]York[/b] v. PRC 1-0
7th Place Game: France v. [b]Transvaal[/b] 0-2
9th Place Game: GDR v. [b]Texas[/b] 0-0 (0-3p)
11th Place Game: [b]Athenian Federation[/b] v. Slavic Federation 1-0
13th Place Game: [b]Cochin[/b] v. Louisiana 2-1
15th Place Game (Worst of the Worst): [b]Wilsons Promontory[/b] v. Australia 1-0

In the consolation game, [b]United Isocoles[/b] once again looked completely outclassed on the pitch for the second game in a row, and [b]Novak[/b]'s performance was no less dominating than Carthage's was just a few days earlier. The Arabs blasted two goals into the back of the net in a span of eight minutes, one coming in the 31st minute and the other in the 39th. They coasted the rest of the way to victory. In the game between the [b]Republic of York[/b] and the [b]People's Republic of China[/b], the home side prevailed much to the delight of the home faithful. A breakaway in the 64th minute provided the game's only marker, and York held off a late Chinese flurry of shots to hang on to their 1-0 victory. [b]The Empire of France[/b] and [b]Transvaal[/b] met in a wholely unexpected game: France was supposed to be much farther down in placing and Transvaal was expected to be playing for the title. The reserves for the Springboks seemed to not settle for anything during the game, blasting the French side with shots and rough play all game, muscling their way to a 2-0 victory. Both goals came after turnovers forced by the Springbok's physical style of play in the French zone. In another surprising placement, [b]Texas[/b] faced the [b]German Democratic Republic[/b]. And in something that was also kind of a shocker, Texas beat the Germans 3-0 on penalty kicks. Both teams were never really able to get the ball close during regulation, but the Lone Stars had no problem finding the back of the net during penalty kicks. In a matchup of the Federations, the [b]Athenian Federation[/b] beat the [b]Slavic Federation[/b] 1-0. The game's single goal came off an extended period of possession by the Athenians in the Slavs' zone and an excellent cross that was headed into the goal. In the battle for 13th place, the [b]Kingdom of Cochin[/b] beat [b]Louisiana[/b] 2-1. The Bayou Boys actually put four balls into the back of the net, but three were called back due to offsides calls. Louisiana just couldn't catch a break through the rest of match, and Cochin went on to win 2-1. And in the Worst of the Worst game, one which ironically featured both teams from Down Under, [b]Wilsons Promontory[/b] beat the [b]Queendom of Australia[/b] 1-0. The game's lone marker was placed in the 22nd minute off a bad turnover right in front of the net by Australia, which the Wilsons players capitalized on and held on to win.

[center][size="5"][u][b]FINALS[/b][/u][/size][/center]

[b]Denmark[/b] v. Carthage 0-0 (3-0p)

The final was everything it was expected to be minus being two different teams than anyone expected. With Transvaal and Novak eliminated, and Denmark and Carthage taking their places, the game was still a fast paced, physical affair that was back and forth throughout. Superb goal tending highlighted the entire match, as both keepers made spectacular saves in regulation to keep the match at 0-0. When the final horn sounded and both teams were still tied, everyone stood, knowing that penalty kicks would decide this final. After both teams missed their first shots, Carthage missed again while the Denmark shot was kept out. However, while Carthage had an innate inability to find the back of the net, Denmark scored on their next three shots, winning the game and the very first Cup of Nations.

[b]Final Places[/b]
1. Denmark
2. Carthage
3. Novak
4. United Isocoles
5. Republic of York
6. People’s Republic of China
7. Transvaal
8. Empire of France
9. Commonwealth of Texas
10. German Democratic Republic
11. Athenian Federation
12. Slavic Federation
13. Kingdom of Cochin
14. Louisiana
15. Wilsons Promontory
16. Queendom of Australia

OOC: Here are the teams that you were each randomly assigned. I tried to keep it as regional as possible and took into account previous experience in other CN or CNRP related soccer cups. FIFA 10 rankings in parenthesis.

Republic of York – San Jose Earthquakes (2 stars)
Novak – Sivasspor (3)
GDR – FC St. Pauli (2.5)
Carthage – Antalyaspor (2.5)
Louisiana – Colorado Rapids (2)
Slavic Federation – Slavia Praha (3)
People’s Republic of China – People’s Republic of China National Team (2.5)
Wilsons Promontory – New Zealand National Team (1.5)
Transvaal – South Africa National Team (3.5)
Kingdom of Cochin – FC Seoul (2.5)
Queendom of Australia – Brisbane Roar (1.5)
Athenian Federation – Vicenza (2.5)
Denmark – Randers FC (2)
Empire of France – Stade Brestois (1.5)
Commonwealth of Texas – NY Red Bulls (1.5)
United Isocoles – Pohang Steelers (2)