To anyone who ever made an account on the RIA forums

Thunder Strike

[quote name='kriekfreak' date='04 March 2010 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1267736497' post='2213971']
^ this. If you forum admins see my nick, please delete my account (with the exception of FOK and iFOK).
[/quote]

Same. We should get a list going then mass email it to all alliance leaders.

Edited by rabonnobar

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Great Lord Moth' date='04 March 2010 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1267723498' post='2213775']
It's entirely possible the hacker is doing this just to teach everyone a lesson on security, which I still do not condone. "Protect yourselves from people like me." is a disgusting, mafia-esque mentality, however realistic, and a benevolent person has many equally effective, less violent ways to accomplish this.

But in all likelihood the hacker is trying to ruin our fun, in which case oh well, we do what we must.
[/quote]

If the person really was trying to help, he'd let each forum he hacked their security loopholes so they could fix it.

This sucks for those that it happens to.

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='05 March 2010 - 04:10 PM' timestamp='1267823737' post='2215133']
If the person really was trying to help, he'd let each forum he hacked their security loopholes so they could fix it.

This sucks for those that it happens to.
[/quote]

That is something he [i]could[/i] do. If his intentions are educational, then what he's doing is akin to teaching a child how to swim by throwing one into the pool, which regrettably does happen in life. People DO think that way.

Edited by Great Lord Moth

This is irritating. I believe I have an account on the RIA forums with one of my weaker but easily remembered passwords. I'd rather not try to figure out every single forum I have an account on. It makes me want to quit CN for good, to be honest.

[quote name='ShadowDragon' date='03 March 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1267678911' post='2213388']
We already switched to SMF but they got us before that.[/quote]
[quote name='ThePainkiller' date='03 March 2010 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1267678945' post='2213389']
We switched to SMF but they got us.[/quote]
[quote name='Shadow Slayer' date='03 March 2010 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1267679546' post='2213408']
They got us with SMF too guys. SMF isn't much safer[/quote]
[quote name='Thunder Strike' date='04 March 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1267686739' post='2213517']
We found out that the passwords were compromised after we moved over so now all the old vulnerable passwords are active on the SMF version. We've pretty much locked the boards down for now and will figure out our next step once out tech guys get on tomorrow.

I would do something but I'm a noob at this kind of stuff.[/quote]

So... these replies confuse me. Can you please clarify: You were hacked before switching to SMF or after switching to SMF? Thanks.

[quote name='Astarle' date='07 March 2010 - 07:20 AM' timestamp='1267903496' post='2216153']
So... these replies confuse me. Can you please clarify: You were hacked before switching to SMF or after switching to SMF? Thanks.
[/quote]

We were hacked before switching over to SMF, they got our passwords from IPB which carried over to SMF so were able to access some of our members accounts under the new SMF forums.

[quote name='Thunder Strike' date='06 March 2010 - 07:51 PM' timestamp='1267926994' post='2216501']
We were hacked before switching over to SMF, they got our passwords from IPB which carried over to SMF so were able to access some of our members accounts under the new SMF forums.
[/quote]
I see... that sucks. SMF allows you to mass e-mail all members of your forum, so you might want to send one out asking everyone to change their password (if you haven't done so already). Anyways... thanks for the reply. Best of luck with sorting out the mess.