OOC Strangereal Alternate Earth RP

Arieg

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealth is something I'd hand off to a nation that relies on me for imports and exports, has a permanent defensive agreement with me, and is closer to the chief rival Yuktobania than I am. Not to mention that they're still a relatively powerful nation that I trust and have influenced in the past history.

Edited by Sargun

[quote name='Sargun' date='06 March 2010 - 07:39 AM' timestamp='1267879467' post='2215835']
Stealth is something I'd hand off to a nation that relies on me for imports and exports, has a permanent defensive agreement with me, and is closer to the chief rival Yuktobania than I am. Not to mention that they're still a relatively powerful nation that I trust and have influenced in the past history.
[/quote]

Stealth technology is not to be traded, period.

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 06:28 AM' timestamp='1267878812' post='2215830']
Stealth is not something you'd hand off to a smaller country under any conditions, so negative.
[/quote]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-35_Lightning_II#International_participation says otherwise.

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 07:50 AM' timestamp='1267880093' post='2215841']
This is 1989 and stealth is still a very secret and guarded technology and since your willing to hand it off to everyone under the sun I'm afraid I can't allow you to have it.
[/quote]

Arieg, get your head out of your buttocks. This is what happens in the real world. Nations and allies can cooperate with technology. Through research, development and trade, any nation can obtain any technology they seek.

Why do you want to be the only one to have it? What is wrong with allowing anyone with good RP in R&D to be able to have stealth technology?

I'd like to point out that West Germany developed their own stealth fighter out of Have Blue & the F-117 in the '70's. The British developed a bomber with similar characteristics to the F-117 in the 1950's. West Germany and Great Britain were hardly superpowers during the time they developed their stealth aircraft.

Then how do you explain the fact the US has been the sole operator of stealth aircraft for nearly three decades? The fact is not everyone on the block will get stealth technology period, hell I almost threw it out do to the balance issues it would present.

My ruling stands.

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 08:23 AM' timestamp='1267882121' post='2215851']
Then how do you explain the fact the US has been the sole operator of stealth aircraft for nearly three decades? The fact is not everyone on the block will get stealth technology period, hell I almost threw it out do to the balance issues it would present.

My ruling stands.
[/quote]

Then throw it out.

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 06:50 AM' timestamp='1267880093' post='2215841']
This is 1989 and stealth is still a very secret and guarded technology and since your willing to hand it off to everyone under the sun I'm afraid I can't allow you to have it.
[/quote]
It was more like wanting to co-develop stealth aircraft with a very close ally.

So... why are you using your ooc powers to shape the outcomes potential of IC disputes. There have been more reckless and silly things done in RL than the trading of stealth technology to a close ally. ERP may have failed because it was too free, but this kind of intervention simply stagnates the game, and causes people to quit. >_>

Also hi.

[quote name='iamthey' date='06 March 2010 - 08:33 AM' timestamp='1267882700' post='2215855']
So... why are you using your ooc powers to shape the outcomes potential of IC disputes. There have been more reckless and silly things done in RL than the trading of stealth technology to a close ally. ERP may have failed because it was too free, but this kind of intervention simply stagnates the game, and causes people to quit. >_>

Also hi.
[/quote]

I think it is more trying to prevent smaller guys from being able to RP up and controlling other nations. Stealth technology, against a better RPer, means nothing.

For example: Arieg is a bad RPer and has stealth technology because he says he can. IAT is a good RPer and does not have stealth technology. Who should win? The better RPer or the worse RPer with OOC advantages?

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='06 March 2010 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1267884186' post='2215867']
I think it is more trying to prevent smaller guys from being able to RP up and controlling other nations. Stealth technology, against a better RPer, means nothing.

For example: Arieg is a bad RPer and has stealth technology because he says he can. IAT is a good RPer and does not have stealth technology. Who should win? The better RPer or the worse RPer with OOC advantages?
[/quote]

This is a good post.

Arieg, the point of this RP is for everyone to join in right? So make it fair for all and not make such silly rules.

What I was hoping to do was keep the technology limited to three superpowers, then as we moved toward the year 2000 one of the powers would kick off a joint strike fighter program because by this time air defense technology would have evolved to a point to were it would have the capability to at least counter stealth to some degree. At our present point in time (1989), theres nothing you can do to counter it. Which is why only the three largest and strongest powers would possess... since I can't count on the other two to horde it I'm just going to take the technology off the table until a later date for all involved parties (myself included).

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 09:22 AM' timestamp='1267885643' post='2215883']
What I was hoping to do was keep the technology limited to three superpowers, then as we moved toward the year 2000 one of the powers would kick off a joint strike fighter program because by this time air defense technology would have evolved to a point to were it would have the capability to at least counter stealth to some degree. At our present point in time (1989), theres nothing you can do to counter it. Which is why only the three largest and strongest powers would possess... since I can't count on the other two to horde it I'm just going to take the technology off the table until a later date for all involved parties (myself included).
[/quote]

Why prevent something IC by doing something OOC?

EDIT: Forgot a word.

Edited by Voodoo Nova

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 09:31 AM' timestamp='1267886200' post='2215888']
Because most participants in this would consider that an act of war, and actually 1996 with the JSF program.
[/quote]

Sharing technology is an act of war? Might as well stop helping our allies military by selling them US equipment.

Wrong. 1980's, the Pentagon started to fund a program for the creation of the F-22. During the 1980's, The YF-22 & YF-23 were developed as a prototype for the F-22. The Y-22 was chosen in 1991. Therefore, any person with good R&D should be able to develop something like the F-22 while still in the 1980's.

Also, please answer my questions above.

EDIT: So you know what to answer:

[quote]For example: Arieg is a bad RPer and has stealth technology because he says he can. IAT is a good RPer and does not have stealth technology. Who should win? The better RPer or the worse RPer with OOC advantages?[/quote]

[quote]Why prevent something IC by doing something OOC?[/quote]

Edited by Voodoo Nova

[quote]Sharing technology is an act of war? Might as well stop helping our allies military by selling them US equipment.[/quote]

I was assuming you mean't prevent development of stealth technology IC.

[quote]Wrong. 1980's, the Pentagon started to fund a program for the creation of the F-22. During the 1980's, The YF-22 & YF-23 were developed as a prototype for the F-22. The Y-22 was chosen in 1991. Therefore, any person with good R&D should be able to develop something like the F-22 while still in the 1980's.[/quote]

Yes the ATF program started in the 1980s and note the fact it took the US almost two decades to get to the production variant of the F-22, the technology that presently exists in the production version of the aircraft simply did not exist in the 1980s. So no you wouldn't be flying F-22s in 1989.

[quote]For example: Arieg is a bad RPer and has stealth technology because he says he can. IAT is a good RPer and does not have stealth technology. Who should win? The better RPer or the worse RPer with OOC advantages?[/quote]

The fact is I launched this without an economic system, which would have dictated technological level and thus military capabilities, so now I'm rushing in the OOC to solve this problem.
Because the fact is not everyone can afford to develop and produce stealth aircraft.

I'll tell you when I get an economic system working.

Edit: But I can tell you those who choose to be isolationist and hostile toward other countries won't be very well off.

Edited by Arieg

Do you want one guy running around with a fifty million man army but only has a nation the size of Denmark?

Edit: Basically all the issues right now are stemming from the fact this RP has no economic system.

Edited by Arieg

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1267888046' post='2215911']
Do you want one guy running around with a fifty million man army but only has a nation the size of Denmark?
[/quote]

It's called reasonable expectations and guidelines to create the ability for people to grow and fall. Currently, I see no nation the size of Denmark. I see nations the size of China. The Chinese alone can muster up an army of around 800 million men and women that are fit for service.

Do they have 800 million rifles? Uniforms? How long can they expect to maintain such an army? How long before maintaining this army utterly destroys their economy?

The fact is just because you have a huge population doesn't mean you can have a huge military, even then having a rather large military has it's drawbacks. No nation on earth can afford to equip their entire armed forces with top of the line gear, smaller nations can barely afford to equip a percentage of their forces with the best equipment. The fact is at the end of the day not everyone can afford the F-22, the upkeep required to maintain it, etc.

Edit: word fail.

Edited by Arieg