OOC Strangereal Alternate Earth RP

Arieg

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1267888046' post='2215911']
Do you want one guy running around with a fifty million man army but only has a nation the size of Denmark?

Edit: Basically all the issues right now are stemming from the fact this RP has no economic system.
[/quote]
That's not unheard of, kind of.

WW1 - Tiny nations like Belgium and Netherlands - huge armies. ~1.4million a piece, or so.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1267888737' post='2215922']
Do they have 800 million rifles? Uniforms? How long can they expect to maintain such an army? How long before maintaining this army utterly destroys their economy?

The fact is just because you have a huge population doesn't mean you can have a huge military, even then having a rather large military has it's drawbacks. No nation on earth can afford to equip their entire armed forces with top of the line gear, smaller nations can barely afford to equip a percentage of their forces with the best equipment. The fact is at the end of the day not everyone can afford the F-22, the upkeep required to maintain it, etc.

Edit: word fail.
[/quote]

No one said it'd be successful. Fact is, they can get a 800 million man army.

Really, you're only making this to make yourself feel all powerful. I've seen it before. You limit others so you get the advantage. You have special interests being the GM and a player. It happened in CNRP, and currently that person is perhaps the most mocked person to have ever been on these forums. Get your head out of your buttocks and allow people to RP and allow IC responses to rule the game.

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1267888046' post='2215911']
Do you want one guy running around with a [b]fifty million man[/b] army but only has a nation the size of Denmark?

[/quote]

Who did THAT? :awesome:

It was a typo.

In other words, since I have claimed myself a major power, do I get to be one?

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='06 March 2010 - 10:19 AM' timestamp='1267889076' post='2215925']
No one said it'd be successful. Fact is, they can get a 800 million man army.

Really, you're only making this to make yourself feel all powerful. I've seen it before. You limit others so you get the advantage. You have special interests being the GM and a player. It happened in CNRP, and currently that person is perhaps the most mocked person to have ever been on these forums. Get your head out of your buttocks and allow people to RP and allow IC responses to rule the game.
[/quote]

With what I'm working up right now the success and power of your nation is going to ride on how much trade you conduct, how many other nations support you, the fact is the US or the Soviet Union wouldn't have been superpowers if it wasn't for the nations that traded with them (or in the SU's case nations they controlled). What I'm aiming to do is to tie everyone together along some lines so there is no non-consequential actions.

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1267889835' post='2215936']
With what I'm working up right now the success and power of your nation is going to ride on how much trade you conduct, how many other nations support you, the fact is the US or the Soviet Union wouldn't have been superpowers if it wasn't for the nations that traded with them (or in the SU's case nations they controlled). What I'm aiming to do is to tie everyone together along some lines so there is no non-consequential actions.
[/quote]

Then why have a set limit of superpower nations and major power nations?

Pretty much, like I said I'm paying for not launching this with an economic system.

Edit: Right now until I get it up and running the only thing I can do to keep things from spiraling is half measures.

Edited by Arieg

Right now I have a few variables to play with, population, government type, and living conditions.

Which will determine technological capability, military spending, and the difference between being North Korea or Great Britain.

Trade will work to increase your GNP.

Edited by Arieg

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1267888737' post='2215922']
Do they have 800 million rifles? Uniforms? How long can they expect to maintain such an army? How long before maintaining this army utterly destroys their economy?

The fact is just because you have a huge population doesn't mean you can have a huge military, even then having a rather large military has it's drawbacks. No nation on earth can afford to equip their entire armed forces with top of the line gear, smaller nations can barely afford to equip a percentage of their forces with the best equipment. The fact is at the end of the day not everyone can afford the F-22, the upkeep required to maintain it, etc.

Edit: word fail.
[/quote]

But there are nations that can afford it that aren't allowed to try because you won't let them have it.

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='06 March 2010 - 10:47 AM' timestamp='1267890709' post='2215959']
Wait, by government do you mean your dictating our POPULATION and government type? I may be reading wrong, but I believe hats what you said...
[/quote]

Double post,

No your population and government will have an effect on your economy, those two are completely up to you.

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 10:47 AM' timestamp='1267890716' post='2215960']
Researching that.
[/quote]

What about favorable bias towards yourself and your allies? How do we know you won't make it so people who want to RP a certain government type and population size that doesn't fit your image will need to change so they can have a viable economy?

Edited by Voodoo Nova

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='06 March 2010 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1267890794' post='2215965']
What about favorable bias towards yourself and your allies?
[/quote]

Gonna be a little difficult considering theres two other superpowers.

[quote name='Drakedeath' date='06 March 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1267890894' post='2215967']
Government type really has little sway on the economy. It's government [b]policies.[/b]
[/quote]

Government policies usually go hand in hand with government type.

Edit: I think it would be rather obvious if I showed bias toward certain government types don't ya think?

Edited by Arieg

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1267891120' post='2215973']
Government policies usually go hand in hand with government type.

Edit: I think it would be rather obvious if I showed bias toward certain government types don't ya think?
[/quote]

It would be, but how do we know you won't do it? An economic system developed on the basis of nothing except easily changeable RP factors is extremely weak. For example, you could make democracies have a better economy over monarchies or dictatorships. You could make superpowers have self sufficient economies, with regional powers needing superpower goods. There is so much for you to favor over others just because you do not like them.

[quote name='Arieg' date='06 March 2010 - 09:22 AM' timestamp='1267885643' post='2215883']
What I was hoping to do was keep the technology limited to three superpowers, then as we moved toward the year 2000 one of the powers would kick off a joint strike fighter program because by this time air defense technology would have evolved to a point to were it would have the capability to at least counter stealth to some degree. At our present point in time (1989), theres nothing you can do to counter it. Which is why only the three largest and strongest powers would possess... since I can't count on the other two to horde it I'm just going to take the technology off the table until a later date for all involved parties (myself included).
[/quote]

Actually, the technology to detect stealth technology has been around almost as long as RADAR has. All you need is a low frequency RADAR to detect stealth... it's how the Bosnians shot down the F-117. Low frequency RADAR and a little bit of luck is all you need against stealth fighters. You know, good RPing.

[size=2]Arieg, I think all of your problems would be solved if you adopted someone else as a second GM and cooperated with that person via IRC to make policies, especially with things as delicate and intricate as economics, which depend more on trade and there will, no doubt, be bias. If I were the GM here, I'd be guilty of it, and you will be guilty of it, if you haven't been already. A second GM will allow you to correct this bias, as well as allow people everywhere to be satisfied that another GM is balancing you out and helping you make decisions.[/size]