Athens rides to WAR

You don't know the circumstances under which the treaty was suspended. We here in TOOL don't like people poaching other alliance's members, and we were put in a catch 22 situation, as we couldn't actually declare on Athens due to our surrender terms (dammit Karma war, end already), but we also wanted to honour the treaty signed. Either way, it was voted on, and it has been suspended.

this is exactly my reasoning, when it comes down to it in the end, TOOL does not support its treaties. As I have seen in the past and I am seeing now. If they declared on your protectorate (not sure if they did with that weird written OP) you had every right to defend them even with the surrender terms.

by the way, love you long time R3nowned :P

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I got out of the OP is that you want mentoah to die even though you aren't going to kill them, you are at war but not fighting and you did this to prove you are better than the people you are actually fighting (which may or may not include mentoah)

am I missing something?

this is exactly my reasoning, when it comes down to it in the end, TOOL does not support its treaties. As I have seen in the past and I am seeing now. If they declared on your protectorate (not sure if they did with that weird written OP) you had every right to defend them even with the surrender terms.

And we were going to. We were in contact with Athens a lot during this whole time, and we were put on alert for war, but prefered a diplomatic solution. In the end, as we didn't like what Mentoh did (they lied about what they were doing - recruiting from other alliances), we came up with this solution.

And we were going to. We were in contact with Athens a lot during this whole time, and we were put on alert for war, but prefered a diplomatic solution. In the end, as we didn't like what Mentoh did (they lied about what they were doing - recruiting from other alliances), we came up with this solution.

TOOL didn't take a diplomatic solution, TOOL basically handed them over to Athens and said you win.

Dodged another treaty obligation to save that precious NS

Edited by nutkase

TOOL didn't take a diplomatic solution, TOOL basically handed them over to Athens and said you win.

Nope. We thought Athens was going to attack, up until now. The treaty was suspended for private reasons.

Edited by R3nowned

I wasn't aware you had the full set of logs, or is that your speculative answer?

What would you do if you were in their shoes?

Why does this have to be an announcement? Why couldn't it just stay within the channels? Does Athens feel it has to announce its "merciful" deeds for all of planet bob to see? Nothing happened so why announce it?

Your question was already answered earlier in this thread. Basically it was need because everybody and their grandma know this war was coming and if Athens had simply contacted the involved parties on IRC then the people waiting for something to happen would still be waiting and would still be building up tension and that would just blow up in someones face eventually.

Also i am finding all the people who seem to think that Athens backed out of this because we were scared of being rolled rather humorous as either they somehow missed the part were tool suspended the treaty or want to look knowledgeable because they have no idea what is happening.

I wasn't aware you had the full set of logs, or is that your speculative answer?

What would you do if you were in their shoes?

I honour my treaties, something I have always done and continue to do even if my ally is in the wrong.

A treaty is a treaty, not something you should turn your back on when it it does not suit you

lol like that's ever stopped us before.

EDIT: kidding. GRAN's still around

Fake 2nd EDIT: we're not actually pursuing anything with GRAN.

I Seriously Lol'd at this,

As far as the actual announcement is concern , since i am not fully aware what really happened nor do i care to find out, I will break CN tradition by not blabbering on about something I have no clue about, so instead i will just say congrats on finding a peaceful resolution, however I don’t understand why it must be made public as if to prove to the world that you are merciful, The way I see it people should do things because they feel they are right thing to do and not because they want to use it as a publicity stunt.

I honour my treaties, something I have always done and continue to do even if my ally is in the wrong.

A treaty is a treaty, not something you should turn your back on when it it does not suit you

Surrender terms are also technically treaties, so in order to honor one they would have to break another.

Surrender terms are also technically treaties, so in order to honor one they would have to break another.

but being that is involved maybe a protectorate being attacked, i would see that the surrender terms being void as was it intended to stop TOOL re entering the war in a offensive way rather then stopping them defending protectorates

what does that prove? nothing

TOOL gov (Specifically Creeky and Gamemaster, props to you guys :D) spent hours trying to solve this diplomatically. It went from Athens rolling the whole alliance to not attacking at all. We did as much as we could to minimize potential damage to Menotah, even though they put us into an extremely unfortunate position.

but being that is involved maybe a protectorate being attacked, i would see that the surrender terms being void as was it intended to stop TOOL re entering the war in a offensive way rather then stopping them defending protectorates

And poaching is an act of war and protectorates are not designed to protect alliances from wars that they instigate. we can argue semantics all night long but the fact is that TOOL was in an impossible situation and being overly critical of them because of it serves no purpose other then pursuing an obvious grudge.

That is commendable of you. However, situations are rarely that black and white. What if the actions of an alliance violates the treaty you have with them? What if you are lied to by those who you protect?

If some one who you like fairly well but do not know intimately comes to your house for dinner and steals another guest's wallet, are you going to interfere with that guest seeking reparations? Will you mediate between the two? Will you kick the offender out? Will you beat up the guest who discovered his wallet is missing for making an accusation? What would you do? As you can see, there are many different responses to any event, all of which depend on context and often cannot be distilled into simplistic right or wrong.

Edited by Kzoppistan

Probably wouldn't have stopped us defending, although it would really screw things up around on CN (imagine the treaties roll on effect)

And poaching is an act of war and protectorates are not designed to protect alliances from wars that they instigate. we can argue semantics all night long but the fact is that TOOL was in an impossible situation and being overly critical of them because of it serves no purpose other then pursuing an obvious grudge.

I agree poaching is a act of war, but turning your back on treaties in my eyes is a sign of cowardice. Something they have done in the past and looks like they have done now.

Agree to disagree Kingsrqt? :P

I agree poaching is a act of war, but turning your back on treaties in my eyes is a sign of cowardice. Something they have done in the past and looks like they have done now.

Agree to disagree Kingsrqt? :P

We defended them via diplomatic channels, rather than through war. It isn't any less honourable.