Presidential Election Debate

Sargun II

Cao shook his head. "Strict? No. If they are not an immediate threat to your life or the life of your family, you have no right to take theirs."

Hiley shrugged. "It's your call. When that burglar turns around, is he running or pulling a gun out? You don't know, and you already know he has no regard for your property. Maybe he cares even less about your life."

"I tend to find myself agreeing with Hiley as far as the Castle Doctrine."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A reporter with the traditional robes of the Imperial Scribes raised a hand.

"What is the opinion of Louisiana on the policies and decisions of the Holy Imperium concerning its' breakaway and subsequent 'neutrality' in the United States Civil War? Additionally, what views would your government have towards joint exploitation of the resources in the Gulf of Mexico?"

Cao nodded to the Imperial Scribe. "The breakaway and neutrality in the faux civil war was indeed the correct path. And as for exploitation of resources.. why do you need to exploit it? Do it reasonably."

"Oh, stop playing lawyer. The Imperium was the only United State other than Louisiana to take real action and even then they didn't commit militarily. But what they didn't do was deny the wrongdoings of the Americans, and for that I commend them. As toward join exploitations.. I'd prefer to discuss this with Tahoe and Xaristan before the Imperium, but all three of you should wait until a more private time to discuss this with us."

A reporter from ABC stood up.

"What is each candidate's opinion on the status of Atlantis?"

"Atlantis is a nation in North America," Cao said simply. Hiley shrugged and didn't answer.

A Fourth Reich reporter stands up.

"What are your veiws on the Fourth Reich's 'Not A Single Step Backwards' Doctrine? As in, never retreat, instead make the enemy pay for each inch they take with thousands of soldier's blood."

"Now, see, this is not a military doctrine," Hiley responded. "You have to think strategically, not tactically. If you're going to sacrifice your men so that it's a bit bloodier for the enemy, you don't deserve to be a general. The goal is to triumph over your enemy, not lose in a glory of fire."

Cao looked affronted. "You dare sacrifice the lives of your soldiers for honor and glory? Damn you, security, get this man out of here!"

The Singapore reporter nodded.

"Thank you for answering this.

Now, to my next question: Mister Cao, would you agree with Mr. Hiley that "Singapore is sanity in a bastion of insanity"? Whether or not you agree, please explain why.

Mr. Hiley, this statement makes it seem like you see all nation in this region - or at least the Pax Pacifica - as insane, with the exception of Singapore. Why do you think that the Hansa, Annihilation, Aotearoa, Yawoo, the Khmer Empire, Yamato and Palintine are insane? They are all within this region, and some are part of the PP.

Additionally, another question to both candidates: If you could get your hands on any three national leaders and could do whatever you wanted with them, who would be it, why, and what would you do? Please try not to be too graphic if it involves violence."

Cao shook his head. "I am sorry, but to make such a remark would be to generalize. As for your next question.. I would prefer not to answer."

"The Hansa is not insane, I'll admit. They're just deluded. As if peace can be made by yelling at the belligerents. Annihilation is a nation that I've never cared about because they do nothing. Aotearoa is run by an old madman, Yawoo had just been born, I don't even know what the hell a Khmer Empire is, Yamato is insane and Palintine is run by Cobra Commander for Christ's sake!" Hiley laughed with the audience. "Yet I know that this will devolve into a sound bite, so I'll clarify: I can take any nation and say something negative about it. The Hansa is a peaceful country, Annihilation is stable, Aotearoa takes a stand against the Nords, Yawoo is.. new, the Khmer Empire hasn't invaded anyone, Yamato is insane and Palintine is run by the mother$%&@ing Cobra Commander." He grinned. "And for your last question.. I'm sure children and listening to this so maybe I can answer that after the cameras stop rolling," he said, eliciting another laugh.

A Hanseatic report stood out of the crowd, looked and Hiley and smiled. "Mr. Hiley, Rebecca Dormir from Power Adonia. Just a few questions. A lot of tabloid magazines have been seeing pictures of you and the Lady Protector of the Hansa, Sarah Tintagyl together. Are you two dating or is just a fling or something. We've covered you before, but this is probably one of your more interesting relationships. Tell me what goes on behind the scenes between you and Lady Sarah and do you have any plans for the future if this will become a serious relationship? And if it is, what is the future of Louisiana and the Hansa?"

Cao put his head on his desk for a moment.

Hiley winked at Rebecca and gave a few silent laughs. "I remember that article, it sucked. You really should ask me for what happens in my life, not my half-brother. To answer your questions.. actually, no. I'm not putting Sarah on the spot in a Presidential debate. As for the future of Louisiana and the Hansa, I can say that Louisiana since her founding has been committed to defending the Hansa. We already have strong ties, I see no reason to stop now."

Cao shook his head. "I am sorry, but to make such a remark would be to generalize. As for your next question.. I would prefer not to answer."

"The Hansa is not insane, I'll admit. They're just deluded. As if peace can be made by yelling at the belligerents. Annihilation is a nation that I've never cared about because they do nothing. Aotearoa is run by an old madman, Yawoo had just been born, I don't even know what the hell a Khmer Empire is, Yamato is insane and Palintine is run by Cobra Commander for Christ's sake!" Hiley laughed with the audience. "Yet I know that this will devolve into a sound bite, so I'll clarify: I can take any nation and say something negative about it. The Hansa is a peaceful country, Annihilation is stable, Aotearoa takes a stand against the Nords, Yawoo is.. new, the Khmer Empire hasn't invaded anyone, Yamato is insane and Palintine is run by the mother$%&@ing Cobra Commander." He grinned. "And for your last question.. I'm sure children and listening to this so maybe I can answer that after the cameras stop rolling," he said, eliciting another laugh.

"Fully understandable, Mr. Cao. It was actually the answer I was expecting you to do. Thank you.

To Mr. Hiley, thank you as well. You've shown that you do know what happens in the world by elaborating, though you tend to generalise on occasion. But who does not? Regarding the last part, I will await your answer on my question once the official conference is over. If it is too graphic, it will only appear in a section of our newspaper's website intended for such things."

"There are rumors circulating one of the parties here intends to rig the elections. Anyone have an idea which of you it is yet?" Political Analyst Tom Jones of DENN inquired.

Both candidates stared at him and didn't answer, only giving him a glare.

"Fully understandable, Mr. Cao. It was actually the answer I was expecting you to do. Thank you.

To Mr. Hiley, thank you as well. You've shown that you do know what happens in the world by elaborating, though you tend to generalise on occasion. But who does not? Regarding the last part, I will await your answer on my question once the official conference is over. If it is too graphic, it will only appear in a section of our newspaper's website intended for such things."

Hiley grinned and shook his head.

"Ah. You misunderstand our speaking. By exploiting, we mean harvesting. Not strip-mining."

"Either way, this is not the time or place to discuss the tapping of natural resources," Cao responded.

Helen McInerney, with RTI... candidates, if elected, what will your policy be in towards the Tahoe Republic in terms of trade, international relations and military.

"The Tahoe Republic.. has a unique history. Unlike the majority of the eastern American nations, new and uninteresting, Tahoe has been the.." Cao hesitated, then Hiley took the pause and stated his own opinion, "Yhey're rather like the school bully. They have a territory they 'protect', they throw their weight around but if you stand up to them they're not as bad as they seem. I like 'em, I really do, but they act as if they own America."

A question to Mr. Hiley: What's your total assets, and how much gold do you have?

"Ask the Nords, I bled them dry for Alvonia."

“Seems like the rumor of Mr Hiley being the richest man in the world is not true, then.”

"I was talking about my gold, sweetie. If you want to see my assets, you'll have to go under my covers. That's where I hide the papers."

OOC: You skipped my question, Sargun. EDIT: Nevermind, I see it now.

OOC: hurr

"What is each candidate's personal opinion on the war in Europe?"

"It's none of our business," Cao muttered, looking anxious.

"The Nords have proven they're aggressive hypocrites and have singlehandedly descended Europe into war. Intervention must be made," Hiley responded.

"Ken Luther from TBS, what are each of your views on the dissolution of the United States and what effect do you think it will have on American politics?"

Both candidates passed on the question.

Both candidates passed on the question.

"Mr. Cao and Mr. Hiley, it would be highly beneficial to both the citizens of Louisiana as well as those living across the Americas to be informed about what political views they have about such a recent military conflict, especially one involving Louisiana."

The Imperial Representative smirked.

"Give it a rest already. The United States is dead and gone; a concept great in its' thought but flawed in its' execution. The decentralized government and extremely loose rules binding states to the Federal Government doomed it to failure. I suggest you look up the Confederate States of America for a comparison."

"The Tahoe Republic.. has a unique history. Unlike the majority of the eastern American nations, new and uninteresting, Tahoe has been the.." Cao hesitated, then Hiley took the pause and stated his own opinion, "Yhey're rather like the school bully. They have a territory they 'protect', they throw their weight around but if you stand up to them they're not as bad as they seem. I like 'em, I really do, but they act as if they own America."

"Mr. Cao, could you please specify on that remark. And Mr. Hiley, because of your opinion towards Tahoe, how will your national policy be in regards towards that government. Furthermore, what do you plan to do in regards towards what you percieve as 'acting like they own america'"

The DENN newscaster pointedly asks Cao, "Mr. Cao, you look nervous. Did YOU rig the elections?"

Cao gave his first laugh of the night and shook his head. "I am never comfortable when speaking of large empires who destroy their citizens cultures."

"Mr. Cao and Mr. Hiley, it would be highly beneficial to both the citizens of Louisiana as well as those living across the Americas to be informed about what political views they have about such a recent military conflict, especially one involving Louisiana."

"Louisiana was justified doing whatever it took to preserve the freedom of Xaristan," Hiley said, leaning back in his chair.

Cao took the better route, saying, "Louisiana was unjustified in their act."

"Mr. Cao, could you please specify on that remark. And Mr. Hiley, because of your opinion towards Tahoe, how will your national policy be in regards towards that government. Furthermore, what do you plan to do in regards towards what you percieve as 'acting like they own america'"

"I am sorry, but I personally have a deep bias for Tahoe from my past. Politically I refuse to let it interfere and at this moment in time I believe that I will say something rash that I do not truly mean," Cao said, then he stood and walked off the stage.

Hiley blinked and nodded. "My national policy towards Tahoe will be three things: work with them, keep America safe with them, and don't piss them off. As long as you don't interfere in my business, I won't interfere with yours. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, but as Mr. Cao is unable to continue I will give him the good grace of bowing out too."

Hiley blinked and nodded. "My national policy towards Tahoe will be three things: work with them, keep America safe with them, and don't piss them off. As long as you don't interfere in my business, I won't interfere with yours. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, but as Mr. Cao is unable to continue I will give him the good grace of bowing out too."

The Singaporean journalist would approach Hiley shortly afterwards, off camera.

"Mr. Hiley, hello. You said you would answer my question once the conference is over?"

The ABC reporter chased Mr. Hiley down after the debate was over and asked:

"Again, what are your opinions of Atlantis as a puppet state of Louisiana? Both of you never answered my question, and I would like to go back to Washington with something."

Edited by Arkantos

OOC: Guys, give it a rest. The ccandidates both left, and that should be the end of it.

@Sargun: Liked your responses to my question. They weren't quite what I expected.

ooc: Since when does leaving a room stop reporters from chasing politicians to ask more questions?

The Singaporean journalist would approach Hiley shortly afterwards, off camera.

"Mr. Hiley, hello. You said you would answer my question once the conference is over?"

"I'd take Miss Tintagyl, the old Sumeragi from DKT and the old Welsh Queen and have a nice "menage a trois"", he said, grinning and nudging the reporter in the elbows.

The ABC reporter chased Mr. Hiley down after the debate was over and asked:

"Again, what are your opinions of Atlantis as a puppet state of Louisiana? Both of you never answered my question, and I would like to go back to Washington with something."

"Atlantis is a good country and I'm proud to have them as a puppet. Don't expect anything too harsh from me," he told the reporter.

OOC: Guys, give it a rest. The ccandidates both left, and that should be the end of it.

@Sargun: Liked your responses to my question. They weren't quite what I expected.

OOC: I told them I'd answer the questions :wub:

"I'd take Miss Tintagyl, the old Sumeragi from DKT and the old Welsh Queen and have a nice "menage a trois"", he said, grinning and nudging the reporter in the elbows.

The journalist smiled, not sure if Hiley was entirely serious...But with that man, you never knew.

"Uh...Thank you for answering this. Now I'll be off, I have to get this stuff to my newspaper. Goodbye."

And with that, he left.