Xanatos

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

/me facepalms

I thought that might be the case, but so many people seem not understand this...

Well, I feel silly now :lol:

Also, I've always pronouced GATO like NATO. Any other non-Spaniards out there?

In all fairness, the protip bit may have overloaded the sarcasm indicator.

Now let's all get back to sounding out words like we're in grade one.

Tee oh oh ell. Nah, I just say "TOOL"

I say VE as vee ee, RIA as reeya, STA as ess tee ay, and GATO as gey toe. So I really don't have a method to it, I just pronounce them in my head as I see them. I still say EKelon instead of ECHelon, because I first thought of it in my head as having a hard CH, even though I now know that's wrong.

-Bama

I rarely sound out acronyms phonetically. As a general rule I just read off the letters even when it probably makes more sense not to - I call TOP "Tee Oh Pee" rather than "top", NAAC as "En Ay Ay See" rather than "Nak", GATO as "Gee Ay Tee Oh" rather than "Gahto or Gayto" (no offense intended on the last one). The only exception that comes to mind is IRON.

Everyone does things differently. :)

I pronounce anything that could be pronounced as an acronym, as an acronym. To avoid confusing Ragnarok and R.O.C.K. in speech, I don't use the Ragnarok abbreviation RoK. (I do in text because they are distinguishable.) I even go so far as to pronounce GOP as "gawp." WAPA I rhyme with Nappa (see Dragon Ball Z :P).

Yes, weird Jarkko is weird, blah blah blah yackity schmackity.

For me, it's "Gah-toe", like the spanish word for cat. "Gay-toe" makes more sense considering the pronounciation of NATO, but oh well.

I also spell out the letters in RIA instead of saying "reeyah".