Pronunciation

Xanatos

The point is unless people pronounce VE as a single syllable word "Veee" it's merely an abbreviation, not an acronym.

I should mention I actually find myself saying "reeya" when I read RIA.

I hope RIA doesn't decide to ZI me for misusing they're acronymizing an abbreviation.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is unless people pronounce VE as a single syllable word "Veee" it's merely an abbreviation, not an acronym.

I hope RIA doesn't decide to ZI me for misusing they're acronymizing an abbreviation.

whenever i read ria and try and pronounce the word in my head i keep coming up with ira, not once have i read something regarding ria and not read it as ira ^_^

I've always said 'reeya' myself.

CSN: see - ess - enn

We're now debating it. )):

Vox Populi

I usually just say Vox, so I don't know how it's actually suppose to be pronounced, however if I say the whole thing, I usually say it either Vox Pop-u-li or Vox Pop-u-lee. I don't have just one way of saying it :P

I pronounce it Walks Pop-Oo-Lee (/wɑks ˈpɑpuˌli/ for those who can read IPA). Classical Latin ftw. :P

An acronym is a type of abbreviation, just like contractions, portmanteaux, alphabetisms, et cetera. VE is an alphabetism :ph34r:

I've always pronounced RIA as an acronym as well.

We're now debating it. )):

I'm not sure if we're debating the proper pronunciation of RIA or the definition of an acronym.

But just to really confuse things, even though the Royal Order of Confederate Kingdoms usually use R.O.C.K. as their official abbreviation San Fiera has told me I won't offend by calling them ROCK.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you know what an acronym is?

Protip: Neither laser nor radar are acronyms.

Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation.

Radio detection and ranging.

The "a" in radio was expressly included in the abbreviation so that it would be a pronounceable word, otherwise known as an acronym.

radar

1941, acronym (more or less) for radio detecting and ranging. The U.S. choice, it won out over British radiolocation.

laser

A device that produces a very narrow, highly concentrated beam of light. Lasers have a variety of uses in such areas as surgery, welding and metal cutting, and sound and video recording and reproduction. The name is an acronym for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation.

Edited by savethecheerleader

To quote my dictionary:

a word (usu. pronounced as such) formed from the initial letters of other words, e.g. laser, NATO

Yes they are. Both of them.

Edited by Uralica

Laser: light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation

Radar: radio detection and ranging

scuba: self-contained underwater breathing apparatus

Pro-tip: Don't throw Pro-tips around unless you aren't prone to fail.

Edited by Byron Orpheus