New War Idea

Uberstein

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to test this. I think sides 5 km long would be right.

So, throwing out some rules.

Turns are 6 hours worth of time.

Players take alternating turns.

Some general classifications of Move speed / LOS / attack ranges.

• Infantry. 2/0/0 hexes.
  • Tanks. 4/1/0 hex
  • Artillery. 4/1/2-10 hex (min range 2 hexes)
  • Fighters. (Special) Move to hex, can attack, next turn move back to landing strip /5,15/5,15,30 (Visual,radar) (missile type)
  • Bombers. (Special) Move to hex, can attack, next turn move back to landing strip / 5,15/1 (Visual,radar)
    Ships, defenses, and special units still need to be done.

Now, units can only attack what they have in their own LOS, (although I'm sure you can work around that with good RP....) Also, units can generally move faster than they can see, so if you run into an enemy, you stop and fight.

SO thoughts?

Edited by LeVentNoir

I was thinking divisions really. Anyone want to suggest a size?

Yeah, divisions sounds good.

• [*]Infantry. 2/0/0 hexes.

[*]Tanks. 4/1/0 hex

[*]Artillery. 4/1/2-10 hex (min range 2 hexes)

[*]Fighters. (Special) Move to hex, can attack, next turn move back to landing strip /5,15/5,15,30 (Visual,radar) (missile type)

[*]Bombers. (Special) Move to hex, can attack, next turn move back to landing strip / 5,15/1 (Visual,radar)

Now, units can only attack what they have in their own LOS, (although I'm sure you can work around that with good RP....) Also, units can generally move faster than they can see, so if you run into an enemy, you stop and fight.

SO thoughts?

That's a good basic. Of course, we'd need to take into account other stuff (like camoflage hiding certain units), add more units (like APC's), and the effect terrain would have on move speed, line-of-sight, and attack range on each type of unit.

The idea of alternating turns, though...that I'm not so sure about. In battle, one side doesn't sit still while the enemy makes its move.

Yeah, divisions sounds good.

That's a good basic. Of course, we'd need to take into account other stuff (like camoflage hiding certain units), add more units (like APC's), and the effect terrain would have on move speed, line-of-sight, and attack range on each type of unit.

The idea of alternating turns, though...that I'm not so sure about. In battle, one side doesn't sit still while the enemy makes its move.

No, but in RP, one poster posts then the other one does. Also, having played many tactical board based wargames, alternating turns is the best way to do stuff. Really it is.

No, but in RP, one poster posts then the other one does. Also, having played many tactical board based wargames, alternating turns is the best way to do stuff. Really it is.

Ever played Diplomacy? Since it in effect has a GM, it can be done. All sides detail their moves, and the GM makes the moves for them.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

I'm not sure how to feel about this one. On one side, it will give a much more orderly sense to wars and battles can me role played in a more proper manner. On the other, there are several problems with the system itself:

-For every battle, there would have to be a whole new map, because each area has its unique features (unless it's a flat plain in the middle of nowhere).

-Each country's units are unique in their own way, that's it, not only they could be of different types (e.g. regular troops, anti-tank infantry, etc.), but the technology employed, most of the times, is wholly different. It would be a complete pain when it comes to determining how powerful each specific unit is against another and how casualties would be measured, in addition to having to measure range, speed of units, etc.

-Some settings do not exist in RL, or where heavily modified by the RP'er himself - ergo, the defending individual would be the one that would have to explain how the "battle field" looks like. That can easily be abused in the sense that, if there is to be defensive structures, then most players would obviously opt for the area having a plethora of them, or if the area is to have limited access, then make it almost uncrossable beforehand. In short, the defending party has a great advantage here in several cases because he'll be the one determining how the battlefield will look like, most of the times.

Those are just a few concerns that would invariably have to be addressed if a system like this one was to be implemented in CNRP. I'm still thinking whether if it is an improvement or not to the current vague nature of battles.

• Infantry. 2/0/0 hexes.
  • Tanks. 4/1/0 hex
  • Artillery. 4/1/2-10 hex (min range 2 hexes)
  • Fighters. (Special) Move to hex, can attack, next turn move back to landing strip /5,15/5,15,30 (Visual,radar) (missile type)
  • Bombers. (Special) Move to hex, can attack, next turn move back to landing strip / 5,15/1 (Visual,radar)

SO thoughts?

I like it. Mind if I use this for the actual game I'm making?

Oh yeah, because "mod bias" hasn't been yelled enough on these boards..

That is why I would be running this system, and I would take an oath where if I showed one side the enemy's positions I get a warn raise. :P

I'm not sure how to feel about this one. On one side, it will give a much more orderly sense to wars and battles can me role played in a more proper manner. On the other, there are several problems with the system itself:

-For every battle, there would have to be a whole new map, because each area has its unique features (unless it's a flat plain in the middle of nowhere).

-Each country's units are unique in their own way, that's it, not only they could be of different types (e.g. regular troops, anti-tank infantry, etc.), but the technology employed, most of the times, is wholly different. It would be a complete pain when it comes to determining how powerful each specific unit is against another and how casualties would be measured, in addition to having to measure range, speed of units, etc.

-Some settings do not exist in RL, or where heavily modified by the RP'er himself - ergo, the defending individual would be the one that would have to explain how the "battle field" looks like. That can easily be abused in the sense that, if there is to be defensive structures, then most players would obviously opt for the area having a plethora of them, or if the area is to have limited access, then make it almost uncrossable beforehand. In short, the defending party has a great advantage here in several cases because he'll be the one determining how the battlefield will look like, most of the times.

Those are just a few concerns that would invariably have to be addressed if a system like this one was to be implemented in CNRP. I'm still thinking whether if it is an improvement or not to the current vague nature of battles.

I am willing to make a new map. The battles themselves are RP'd, this is just a "movement and organization" system really. Your units will be based off your arms page. Defences will be based off what you have RP'd before. Aka, you just need to throw me a few links when I set it up.