Back to the old times

Centurius

My primary issue there was the anti armor tactics you engaged, it was like a sentence which ignored my much more detailed strategy of engagement. I like to have a well thought out defense for a well thought out offense. Your first post wasn't high casualties btw as I recall.

Anyways, I'd agree to some pre agreed war, however I would like to see some restriction there. For example, I can't send in a !@#$ load of spies and aggitators with tons of weapons into Slavorussia and then refuse to fight Justinian if he discovers its me and chooses to go to war. Thats a recipe for abuse in my book.

That's the point. If we keep the current ruling and you refuse to go to war, you'd lose all of your land. It keeps people from abusing it. On the other hand, a large nation with no conscious can easily attack a small nation and they'd be forced into combat one way or the other.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have problem with this idea I think the present system leads to essentially total chaos in the wars that happen which basically results in a lot of OOC bickering when people RP without fully realizing that what they are RPing is contradicting what was just done by another player. Maybe loosely planning what is going to happen and deciding an outcome is something we should do though I think allowing a little flexibility in the way its RP'd would be better. Honestly I am not sure how the previous planning worked out but I think if one person chooses to initiate a war there should be no OOC way to prevent it and if it is as sargun pointed out a huge nation unfairly attacking a small one that should still be allowed to progress as it would be in RL. The only diffrence is there would be that prior planning in which the event could be worked out.

I think as long as there is always that option to reroll and get back on the map no one should be afraid of RPing and losing land or getting wiped out in the process; its just a game if we can avoid emotional attachment it will be more fun for everyone.

Edited by iamthey

I don't have problem with this idea I think the present system leads to essentially total chaos in the wars that happen which basically results in a lot of OOC bickering when people RP without fully realizing that what they are RPing is contradicting what was just done by another player. Maybe loosely planning what is going to happen and deciding an outcome is something we should do though I think allowing a little flexibility in the way its RP'd would be better. Honestly I am not sure how the previous planning worked out but I think if one person chooses to initiate a war there should be no OOC way to prevent it and if it is as sargun pointed out a huge nation unfairly attacking a small one that should still be allowed to progress as it would be in RL. The only diffrence is there would be that prior planning in which the event could be worked out.

I think as long as there is always that option to reroll and get back on the map no one should be afraid of RPing and losing land or getting wiped out in the process; its just a game if we can avoid emotional attachment it will be more fun for everyone.

Emotional attachment? That may not be the issue. Some people actually have plans they would like to impliment, stuff they;d like to do, that could be rendered impossible if they are rolled.

Even if wars aren't preplanned players should be notified well in advance if their nation is to be invaded, preventing relevant threads from being dominated by confusion and out of character conversations.

Botha's a special case. ^_^

Im sorry but no if you offer exceptions to one player then you have to offer them to other players. You know Im not !@#$%*ing at you Sargun but you need to stay equal to everyone so if others don't want to RP wars then you will have to allow them the same circumstances as you have othered Botha.

Im sorry but no if you offer exceptions to one player then you have to offer them to other players. You know Im not !@#$%*ing at you Sargun but you need to stay equal to everyone so if others don't want to RP wars then you will have to allow them the same circumstances as you have othered Botha.

I can't offer anyone the same circumstances, because nobody has placed themselves in the same circumstances.

I can't offer anyone the same circumstances, because nobody has placed themselves in the same circumstances.

Well lets say I wanted to RP like Botha only using my IG tech, infra and other stats and that I never wished to engage in any RP wars that I didn't wish to join myself would you let me?

In my best Ralph Wiggams voice: "I'm special"

I RP as a by-product of what occurs in-game, so the only wars I fight are those in-game. Now if I have RP'ed in an RP war, it has been completely pre-arranged and agreed upon (generally I have been asked to participate) so the results will not contradict with my in-game stats.

Consequently I *cannot* go an declare an RP war on someone - unless by my own rules I do it in-game. In other words, I've been made a (generally-recognised) neutral.

Botha I think they meant if someone goes to war with you and you ignore it then you get essentially purged; though I guess your conception does still apply since sargun agrees with you :P.

King Kevz just because botha chooses to RP like this doesn't necessarily make it preferable. Botha RP's the way he does as thats how he interprets RP'ing to operate not because he wants some special protection from war. If you want (hypothetically) to RP like him for the latter of the reasons the you are doing so for the wrong reason and that's probably why sargun would say no (if he does). Also I don't think botha really tries to start stuff in RP anyway so no one would really have a reason to start a war with him...

On topic though I guess my problem with fully requiring mutual agreement and planning is it is entirely unrealistic. If you do that it ceases to be a game, and becomes a group story. If you want to declare war you should be able to do so and people shouldn't be capable of stopping it by simply saying no. However if we want want in general begin to plan our wars with both sides sitting down to to agree on what will ultimately be lost then I think we can avoid a lot of the OOC bickering. Again though the problem with that is, how do you negotiate with someone to push them off the map, few would agree with that or even participate in the planning.

Edited by iamthey

King Kevz just because botha chooses to RP like this doesn't necessarily make it preferable. Botha RP's the way he does as thats how he interprets RP'ing to operate not because he wants some special protection from war. If you want (hypothetically) to RP like him for the latter of the reasons the you are doing so for the wrong reason and that's probably why sargun would say no (if he does). Also I don't think botha really tries to start stuff in RP anyway so no one would really have a reason to start a war with him...

On topic though I guess my problem with fully requiring mutual agreement and planning is it is entirely unrealistic. If you do that it ceases to be a game, and becomes a group story. If you want to declare war you should be able to do so and people shouldn't be capable of stopping it by simply saying no. However if we want want in general begin to plan our wars with both sides sitting down to to agree on what will ultimately be lost then I think we can avoid a lot of the OOC bickering. Again though the problem with that is, how do you negotiate with someone to push them off the map, few would agree with that or even participate in the planning.

And this here is the essential problem. On one hand we can have people abusing war by invading all the little sandy countries they want and on the other hand we could have people ignoring all the little sandy invasions.

Also, you hit the nail on the head with Botha. Since he's started RPing (from what I can tell, and it definitely hasn't been anything recent) he's done this particular style, and for that reason we have the term 'going Botha' which means to either A) drop out from wars or B) don't do anything pre-planned. If you state that you will be 'going Botha' and stick with your commitment, I can be reasonable about it and give you some leeway when it comes to war.

Hm...I think I might 'go Botha' (but with CNRP stats), so to say. It sounds fun. ^_^

Think about it though, if you do that...you give up the right to declare war on anyone without THEIR prior consent, plus pre-planned, THOROUGH negotiations. Is that worth it?

Think about it though, if you do that...you give up the right to declare war on anyone without THEIR prior consent, plus pre-planned, THOROUGH negotiations. Is that worth it?

Err...now that you mention it, I guess not. ^__^;

Thorough negiotations aren't really my kind of thing, and I don't have the patience and wisdom of Botha, lol. :P

Edited by JEDCJT

This.

And one advantage that I have in staying out of RP wars is my nation resides in a rather unpopular and uneventful (for CN) corner of the world. LOL heck it took me three months to find people to give away my excess land! So the chances of anyone actually attempting to invade me in RP is slim to nil. The only RP war which has been hoisted on me without my pre-approved consent was Ranathar's revolution against me in Somalia last October... however I let it fly and went along with it because I was fully amused and impressed in the manner how he pulled it off and made it fait acompli all while I was asleep in RL.

But never again...

However under the current circumstances with map activity in... oh say, Europe... it would be dang impossible to stay out of people's way of RP wars.

This.

And one advantage that I have in staying out of RP wars is my nation resides in a rather unpopular and uneventful (for CN) corner of the world. LOL heck it took me three months to find people to give away my excess land! So the chances of anyone actually attempting to invade me in RP is slim to nil. The only RP war which has been hoisted on me without my pre-approved consent was Ranathar's revolution against me in Somalia last October... however I let it fly and went along with it because I was fully amused and impressed in the manner how he pulled it off and made it fait acompli all while I was asleep in RL.

But never again...

However under the current circumstances with map activity in... oh say, Europe... it would be dang impossible to stay out of people's way of RP wars.

Wow...I never thought I'd see you take that stance...but you have excellent points.