CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

What is the point of that?

Well lots of military and civilian tech is not cutting edge, simply because that would cost too much. it introduces a difference between for example, 2800 and 1600 tech. Tech years, they are only 7 apart. With this new thing, 80% of the 2800 army is at 2018, while only 40% of the 1600 tech nations army is at 2011, the rest is at 2006. This puts more of a gap between nations in the mid to upper ranges, and forces in a bit more realism.

I mean, you might be typing this on a computer a year or two old, listening to a 5-10 year old stereo. A nation does not somehow magically keep up with the cutting edge in all areas, civilian or military.

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is to make RP more interesting. Certainly when something is developed, it takes a little while for the entire nation to have access to it (for it to diffuse throughout the nation). This is due in part to who can afford it, and if it's made at better quality more efficiently, that means more people are going to be able to use it.

All I will say is that we need to make RP simpler, not bog it down with silly rules. I dont RP everything I own as being from 2002, most of my naval vessels, for example, were made in the late 80's and early 90's in real life. Sure, perhaps they have a couple of minor upgrades on when they were built, but essentially, they are the same ships now as they were when they were laid down. Cutting edge is not always better.....

The point is to make RP more interesting. Certainly when something is developed, it takes a little while for the entire nation to have access to it (for it to diffuse throughout the nation). This is due in part to who can afford it, and if it's made at better quality more efficiently, that means more people are going to be able to use it.

Yes I acknowledge that, but most people seem to RP that every single aspect of their nation, army and research is exactly on the cutting edge of their tech level. Exactly 0 RL countries have everyone using their cutting edge tech right out of the lab.

All I will say is that we need to make RP simpler, not bog it down with silly rules. I dont RP everything I own as being from 2002, most of my naval vessels, for example, were made in the late 80's and early 90's in real life. Sure, perhaps they have a couple of minor upgrades on when they were built, but essentially, they are the same ships now as they were when they were laid down. Cutting edge is not always better.....

Well, the point is you are some of the few people who do that that smart route.

Isn't that already accounted for by the tech year?

No it isn't, as everyone thinks that their entire nation is at that year. Whereas, for example, the US is using a assault rifle from the 1950s. Most RPers seem to think that they can have the best of the best in all aspects.

This is also a nice little way of showing what you can and can't afford without mucking around with numbers, as more advanced nations (which have more infra = more $$) can afford to spread more advanced technologies through a larger part of their nation.

"that" = "Certainly when something is developed, it takes a little while for the entire nation to have access to it (for it to diffuse throughout the nation)."

IRT LVN: I see. I still think there is probably a way that can do it without imposing something systematic. IMO, the less systematic RP gets, the more freedom there is.

Edited by XRCatD

Yes I acknowledge that, but most people seem to RP that every single aspect of their nation, army and research is exactly on the cutting edge of their tech level. Exactly 0 RL countries have everyone using their cutting edge tech right out of the lab.

The point wasn;t directed specifically at you. I know YOU are a responsible RP'er...

I'd have to see the LVT's suggestion in action before I could give an informed opinion regarding it. On the surface it seems quite logical, but the counter-arguments are compelling as well.

Sitting on the fence is good enough for me...

(Though I'll jump to either side for 3 million in game :D )

0 : 1910 : 0 % : 1905 : 100%

400 : 1993 : 10 % : 1988 : 90%

800 : 2002 : 20 % : 1997 : 80%

1200 : 2007 : 30 % : 2002 : 70%

1600 : 2011 : 40 % : 2006 : 60%

2000 : 2014 : 50 % : 2009 : 50%

2400 : 2016 : 60 % : 2011 : 40%

2800 : 2018 : 70 % : 2013 : 30%

3200 : 2020 : 80 % : 2015 : 20%

3600 : 2022 : 90 % : 2017 : 10%

4000 : 2023 : 100 % : 2018 : 0%

Thoughts?

I think that's unnecessary, introducing an unneeded additional rule. I simply don't like it.

I'll play by my own rules even if nobody else will. (although it will make very little difference...)

There you go :) You should adopt whichever rules you think will make your RP more interesting. Now I more or less just use "modern" equipment anyway, so this wouldn't influence my RP that much, but good work on coming up with a system that provides further depth for those who wish to use it

I'm inclined to think the few communist sympathizers would have gone to the USSR, not China. that's why I used China in the comparison, not the USSR, specifically.

I'm sure most of them would have, however, when you have a population of millions, you're bound to get a handful going to countries you wouldn't have suspected them to, such as China (or in Sumeragi's case, Rockport).

No, there never has been. The two most powerful Catholic countries, Tahoe and Viniland, (no offense RV :P) have an agreement not to recognize a Pope and instead treat him as a non-entity in RP, removed from the world and safe in the Vatican City away from politics.

I see myself more as an anti-Pope anyway. I still have no idea how I got recognized anyway, but hey, whatever works.

I'm sure most of them would have, however, when you have a population of millions, you're bound to get a handful going to countries you wouldn't have suspected them to, such as China (or in Sumeragi's case, Rockport).

The problem with that is that the US has a population in the hundreds of millions. DKT had less than a million, thereby reducing the odds even further.

The problem with that is that the US has a population in the hundreds of millions. DKT had less than a million, thereby reducing the odds even further.

Sumeragi claims to have a population of over 50 million. Granted it may not be as large as the United States, but it is still a pretty large population. She's going to have a few people going to Rockport whether she likes it or not.

Sumeragi claims to have a population of over 50 million. Granted it may not be as large as the United States, but it is still a pretty large population. She's going to have a few people going to Rockport whether she likes it or not.

Sorry, I meant less than a hundred million. My mind was clearly elsewhere.

Sorry, I meant less than a hundred million. My mind was clearly elsewhere.

Even so, fifty million is an incredibly large population. In the real world that would rank amongst the top twenty-five most populous nations. Suppose South Korea, which has a population close to fifty million, for some reason dissolved and everyone living there fled (which seems rather odd, since I'm more than certain a good number of people would stay), I can guarantee you that at least a handful (and quite possibly at least 100), would end up in every single country in the world, no matter how odd some locations may seems (Uruguay, Burundi, Moldova, etc.) for whatever reason. Especially if the standards of livings are high, as in Rockport (more than just 12 would be immigrating there actually).

But yes, I think it is quite safe to say that people would be going just about everywhere. Although I have to point this one thing out. It is rather generous of us to be allowing Sumeragi to have her entire population leaving to begin with. In the real world populations that large do not just get up and move, and in no case can a population that large move so easily as Sumeragi's did.

Even so, fifty million is an incredibly large population. In the real world that would rank amongst the top twenty-five most populous nations. Suppose South Korea, which has a population close to fifty million, for some reason dissolved and everyone living there fled (which seems rather odd, since I'm more than certain a good number of people would stay), I can guarantee you that at least a handful (and quite possibly at least 100), would end up in every single country in the world, no matter how odd some locations may seems (Uruguay, Burundi, Moldova, etc.) for whatever reason. Especially if the standards of livings are high, as in Rockport (more than just 12 would be immigrating there actually).

But yes, I think it is quite safe to say that people would be going just about everywhere. Although I have to point this one thing out. It is rather generous of us to be allowing Sumeragi to have her entire population leaving to begin with. In the real world populations that large do not just get up and move, and in no case can a population that large move so easily as Sumeragi's did.

you are under a silly impression that we are allowing her to claim to have even have had 50 million to begin with. I would think that nuclear annihilation would substantially reduce any population

Edited by Lord Frost