NAVY ?!?!?!?

I don't know about the 5 of each improvement thing though... they said on some of them up to ten of the ship which would mean 10 of the improvement also...

Basically, you're getting the ability to make more ships based off your infrastructure level as well.

Let's say you have 6,000 infrastructure and 5 drydock improvements.

The Corvettes require 2,000 infrastructure, means you can buy by default 4. (You get 3 from infra alone, plus 1 for having to have at least 1 drydock improvement to build them.) Then with the extra drydock improvements, you can buy up to 8. It's actually kind of a neat system that allows larger nations to tier their navy size.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No argument from me, I just wish that the admin would introduce more upgrades towards deplomacy and trade rather than other ways for people to raid and kill off nations.

I like your idea of also some upgrades towards deplomacy and trade but I also can't wait for navy. Why don't you make a suggestion in the suggestion box on the forums?

The navy look like a good update to the game. I think the cost of the ships are good overall considering the bounses you can have with each ship. I think there is going to be new improvements as well, not sure on that one though.

I also agree with the above post, new updates for diplomatics and trade would be very interesting.

I'm not all that excited. I always thought the Admin would expand the ground warfare and make that more interesting.

All of the recent updates (recent, as in this year) have favoured larger nations, while small and middle-sized nations have not got anything. What we see is the bigger nations gettign bigger at a quicker rate and the other nations continuing at the same speed as they were.

This will mean the larger nations spend more money on military and less on infra so the larger nations will actually grow slower...exactly what you want! Come on man! Be happy! :rolleyes:

This will mean the larger nations spend more money on military and less on infra so the larger nations will actually grow slower...exactly what you want! Come on man! Be happy! :rolleyes:

Considering that tanks for me cost $58 each, and a month and a half ago I was having battles where both sides lost up to a total of 5000 tanks per battle, I'd really like to see ground warfare become even a little bit more realistic especially since this the setting is more modern. And it irritates me to no end that soldiers appear out of thin air, no mercenary company would EVER hire out to a nation that loses most of it's soldiers. Although as someone said I'll think of a way to suggest this in the suggestion forum, (after making sure it hasn't been suggested before).

As for navies, I won't be able to afford much if any of them for, i don't know, a year perhaps.

Edited by PrinceScamp

I'm not all that excited. I always thought the Admin would expand the ground warfare and make that more interesting.

All of the recent updates (recent, as in this year) have favoured larger nations, while small and middle-sized nations have not got anything. What we see is the bigger nations gettign bigger at a quicker rate and the other nations continuing at the same speed as they were.

This update is actually very good for small nations. It forces large nations to either leave themselves vulnerable or spend huge amounts maintaining a large navy. Meaning it'll be easier for small nations to catch up. Also it will make jumping into nuke range far easier for the 5-10% people like me.

Spies also were just a huge money sink for large nations, expending vast quantities of money for minimal benefits, but it's too dangerous not to have spies so you have to buy them anyway...

Basically, you're getting the ability to make more ships based off your infrastructure level as well.

Let's say you have 6,000 infrastructure and 5 drydock improvements.

The Corvettes require 2,000 infrastructure, means you can buy by default 4. (You get 3 from infra alone, plus 1 for having to have at least 1 drydock improvement to build them.) Then with the extra drydock improvements, you can buy up to 8. It's actually kind of a neat system that allows larger nations to tier their navy size.

Are we sure that this is the way that it will work? If it is, then that means that you would need 15K infra before you could buy 3 aircraft carriers (not counting the stated requirement of getting the shipyards/drydocks.

Edited by evilgm

Are we sure that this is the way that it will work? If it is, then that means that you would need 15K infra before you could buy 3 aircraft carriers (not counting the stated requirement of getting the shipyards/drydocks.

You get 1 carrier per 5k Infra + 5 for full shipyards... So with 5k Infra you can buy up to 6, with 10k you can buy up to 7, etc.

Yet another conflict upgrade, the game should be renamed CyberWars, it'd be a hell of a lot more accurate than Cybernations.

i can't even belive people would not be trilled with this. More trade and dip options you say? Its not like CN ain't became the most carebear game there is right now.

With everyone holding hands to scared to lose infas you want less war and more dip.

To me its thinking like that that has caused CN to become boring.

This update is needed

Edited by Lord Thomas Drake

This update is actually very good for small nations. It forces large nations to either leave themselves vulnerable or spend huge amounts maintaining a large navy. Meaning it'll be easier for small nations to catch up. Also it will make jumping into nuke range far easier for the 5-10% people like me.

Spies also were just a huge money sink for large nations, expending vast quantities of money for minimal benefits, but it's too dangerous not to have spies so you have to buy them anyway...

Having been a large nation a mere 9 weeks ago (6999 infra), keeping a small naval force wouldn't be too much in upkeep. Replacing it during war however, like an air force, looks like it would be very costly, especially with the many (most?) wars now being a large number of alliances against a smaller number. It seems to me the war system is still designed with a 7 day war in mind. (Although it will be interesting to see what happens when people start using navies in war).

@Drake: Navies don't matter to people who can't use them. I believe that one reason why people get so bored is because the economic/nation building aspect of the game is dreadfully dull. Although admittedly I'm still thinking of how I could suggest it be improved, the game still bills it'self as a nation sim which it is more and more focused on war (seemingly anyways).

EDIT: Checking again, yeah the naval upkeep is pricy.

Edited by PrinceScamp

i can't even belive people would not be trilled with this. More trade and dip options you say? Its not like CN ain't became the most carebear game there is right now.

With everyone holding hands to scared to lose infas you want less war and more dip.

To me its thinking like that that has caused CN to become boring.

This update is needed

Now now we all know that World of Warcraft is the most carebear game there is right now.

The irony is wonderful!

Navies will place additional burdens on nations to have them at the ready, or face dire consequences in a war with an opponent with a fleet.

Moreover, navies will not grow overnight: like nukes, one must assume the burden of a navy with forethought, not on a whim.

Oh. Where does it say that? I must have missed that. Well 10,000,000 into aircraft carriers, and then 25 more planes sounds like a good days work.

;-P

All the cool kids will have 105 planes in the next war.

Which begs the question... if one has 105 planes and a carrier supporting said planes is whacked, will it be like losing construction? IE, keep the planes, but can't build back to that level until the unit is replaced.

Edited by zzzptm

All the cool kids will have 105 planes in the next war.

Which begs the question... if one has 105 planes and a carrier supporting said planes is whacked, will it be like losing construction? IE, keep the planes, but can't build back to that level until the unit is replaced.

You mean 110 planes ;), unless the war is tonight's update :P

And I'd assume so for the second part.

Edited by Embereus

It would make more sense if the planes were lost, too.

I'm pretty dissapointed its all just military hardware, looks like it mainly makes conventional wars more expensive.

That's a good thing, wars are too cheap right now. I like how land increases in importance.

There are a few things I don't get though.

1)A naval Blockade doesn't actually block any shipping, but does somehow stop the government from collecting taxes from its citizens. Do all the taxes get carried by cargo ship to an island. It would make blockades a lot more interesting if they affected your trades - maybe each blockade would make 1 random portion of a trade per day cease to exist for that day only. For example, my fish and fur are trading with nation X for iron and lumber and with nation Y for water and wheat. With a blockade, one day suddenly I wouldn't have iron and nation X wouldn't have fish. Then the next day maybe I wouldn't have wheat and nation Y wouldn't have fur. This would add to diplomacy (as well as to logic and realism) since a powerful trade partner might not like it if his neutral nation couldn't trade freely anymore with his old partner.

2)The ships are in a rather odd order. Destroyers are stronger than cruisers, which are stronger than battleships? That's bass ackwards. Battleships don't get any bonus to supporting land battles, even though that's been their main use for the past 60 years?

Please never have anything affecting trades. That would cause so many problems...

That is exactly what we need. Problems. Diplomatic problems to keep this game exciting. Just imagine what would happen if a big alliance could have their allies trade disrupted by blockading a trade partner alliance. There would be an incentive for even small alliances to get their trades in as many alliances as possible to increase the chances of trade disruption if they were attacked

I like any update that increases the logical complexity of CN. Navies are important in warfare, critical in many aspects, so to me this update makes sense and helps complicate an otherwise pretty explored system. To a far greater extent than spies, navies will force some sizable revisions to war strategy; revisions which will be more accurate over a somewhat long period of time as they are tested out.

They are going to make wars more expensive, upkeep more expensive, and the drive for some nations will change in terms of what they spend their money on. Middle to large sized nations won't be able to buy the wonders they want on time each month if they are now spending that money on building the infrastructure they need to build a decent Navy for both Naval infra restrictions and for the 10 new possible improvements they may want.

All in all I think Navies were a logical next step for war and in that way it's a great update, however I do agree that some other, non war related updates, would be awesome as well :D

Now now we all know that World of Warcraft is the most carebear game there is right now.

The irony is wonderful!

Darkfall is vaporware. Just saying. I hate WoW too, though. I'm partial to EVE, myself.

EDIT: Wow, a huge bump for this thread and off-topic. Sorry about that. :lol:

Edited by Durim