I got the equiv of -6.5 happiness today

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you to an extent.. But I have to point out a few things:

These events are random, and they're equally random for everyone. The chances of one person being seriously more unlucky than another person will eventually even out.

Lots of negative events and not as many positive events isn't a bad thing, it's all to scale. It kinda makes us feel unlucky, but everyone's being affected in the same way.

And lastly, you could argue that this brings more skill into the game. Collecting and paying bills at the most strategic times.

I agree with you to an extent.. But I have to point out a few things:

These events are random, and they're equally random for everyone. The chances of one person being seriously more unlucky than another person will eventually even out.

Lots of negative events and not as many positive events isn't a bad thing, it's all to scale. It kinda makes us feel unlucky, but everyone's being affected in the same way.

And lastly, you could argue that this brings more skill into the game. Collecting and paying bills at the most strategic times.

Eventually meaning only when the law of large numbers comes into effect. That could be 1000 event occurrences for some people.

I don't mind the frequency of events, just today when collecting and paying bills, there was a bit more anticipatory anxiety than normal, I like that. I just think they should be cut down in duration.

At the least, I agree the length of time events affect your nation should be decreased with the new mix. 10-15 days would be ideal. Not too much, not ridiculously low.

With a 20 day collection you can skip right over top this and never see the effect if prepared. So reducing the length won't work but making it hard to get several quickly would. Either do it by transactions or by days. Changing it so that day is 0 percent chance to get another event then the next day is a 1 percent then the next is 2 percent etc. If you last 10 days without an event you are back to 10 percent chance of an event.

Is there a max amount of events you can have ? That could solve it also. 3 Events max per nation.

The positive events don't measure up to the negative ones. The negatives are like -4 HAPPINESS AND -10% LAND. And the positive ones? +1 happiness. That's stupid. If I collect taxes and pay bills KNOWING that if I get a bad event, it'll be SO MUCH MORE worse than the good event will be good, why even bother collecting/paying bills every day? I try to wait as long as physically possible, because it's actually not worth the risk.

The positive events don't measure up to the negative ones. The negatives are like -4 HAPPINESS AND -10% LAND. And the positive ones? +1 happiness. That's stupid. If I collect taxes and pay bills KNOWING that if I get a bad event, it'll be SO MUCH MORE worse than the good event will be good, why even bother collecting/paying bills every day? I try to wait as long as physically possible, because it's actually not worth the risk.

I was going go say something similar. The events are set up (from those I've seen) so that the bad events are REALLY bad relative to the good events.

ie: if you got all the events, even though the good outnumber the bad, you likely will be really hurting as a nation.

Is there a max amount of events you can have ? That could solve it also. 3 Events max per nation.

The max is currently 8 active events. Of course this can be reduced (5 events max may be better) but I thought for the re-release of events why not give players the opportunity to see some of the new events? I'll probably keep the limit at 8 for the first month after re-release and then scale it back a bit, unless of course there's enough outcry to force a change sooner.

ouch 8 events with neg 3 happiness could devastate someone if they was unlucky enough to get all really bad ones.

So noone has seen any really good events? The best so far is 1 happiness!

Another note young nations almost need to collect taxes every day and pay bills every day so you could really be hurting new players chances at this game.

Edited by Thorr

i actually never noticed the events were gone, i just thought i was super un/lucky for not getting any..

now ive had 2 in 3 days and they both last for a month neither of them are good for my nation, i wouldnt care as much if they didnt last for a month

The balance between good/bad events is fine at close to 50/50. Though if what people are saying is true and the negative events are much worse then the positives I think that throws things out of whack again.

Bad events are much worse.

I can say that I have yet to get an event. But I think several good points have been raised in this thread.

1. I think that 10% on both excessive. This means you should get a new event every 5 days (or 6 per month)

2. As the bad events are worse than the good ones (as seen to this point in the LoSS event list we are making), statistically people would constantly be hurt by bad events by a decent margin.

3. This new practice hurts new nations in that, unlike older ones, they can not swap. This puts a large impediment in front of new players and makes catching up with the senior players even harder than it already is.

4. The new setup hurts active players. People that update their nation every day are hurt while those who are inactive have the advantage.

5. How does this improve the game? It introduces a very large amount of luck. People who get good events wont think much of them, especially since they are small. But I know several people who have received 3 bad events in the past week who are seriously considering leaving. I just cant see how this improves the game.

But now I cant complain if I don't offer a solution. I think that no matter what, both the frequency and maximum number of simultaneous events need to be lowered. 10% for both actions is too much and 8 events could actually bill lock some nations. Secondly I think that the events need to be either evened in strength, or the percentages need to shift in the 'good' events favor. Just my thoughts on the matter. I hope that admin does make some changes.

4. The new setup hurts active players. People that update their nation every day are hurt while those who are inactive have the advantage.

After reading this I realized, that this new updates encourages people to improvement swap even more. Actually, it makes it extremely hard to survive without it (or just only doing stuff every 19 days or so). Isn't this something admin wants to prevent?

Edit: Grammar.

Edited by Lavo_2

It shouldn't make a difference. If there are an equal number of bad events as there are good, in the long run things should even out.

Not if the average positive event is +1 happiness and the average bad event is -3 happiness ;)

But is that the case? From my experience, the good events can be very good, whereas the bad ones aren't completely terrible. Like +$10 income compared to all of the stupid -10% land events...