Zulu alliance war announcement

Please stop attempting to be holy by being the great defender of the playground. It most definitely does preclude him from being offended.

No, it doesn't. People form opinions on all manner of things that don't personally effect them. KenoCore is making a case against something he doesn't want to see in this world, just like your lot do everytime DH does something. Mocking ESL people with a blatant charactateur is something that should be pretty easy to see why people might find it distasteful.

e: if you are using the Japanese pronunciation you should probably use the Japanese spelling, not the Engrish. Edited by WorldConqueror

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it doesn't. People form opinions on all manner of things that don't personally effect them. KenoCore is making a case against something he doesn't want to see in this world, just like your lot do everytime DH does something. Mocking ESL people with a blatant charactateur is something that should be pretty easy to see why people might find it distasteful.

e: if you are using the Japanese pronunciation you should probably use the Japanese spelling, not the Engrish.

Except he is not mocking people who speak English as a second language. Instead of enjoying a new and refreshing RP, he is finding offense in something that is not overtly offensive. If anything, Ubuntu shows us that those who speak english as a second language have some very admirable qualities that many English speakers do not have. Ubuntu is honorable, brave, and very witty (as seen with his quick quips and comebacks) and, despite the language barrier, his character is able to participate in our community much to the delight of most of our members. It is, in fact, KenoCore who should be ashamed. He made the comparison between Ubuntu and a cartoon baboon (as per Wikipedia's description: a dimwitted, ugly, and ridiculed baboon characterized by his intense stupidity and hunger for attention). That statement is more offensive to ESL speakers than anything said by Ubuntu. I also trust he has never seen Forrest Gump, Terminal Man, Inglorious Bastards, or other movies which portray characters with accents in somewhat stereotypical ways, right?

And do you mean to tell me that you find offense in my avatar and caption? Sorry but no dice. I am actually Japanese and I do not take offense to it in the least.

Edited by Isotope

And do you mean to tell me that you find offense in my avatar and caption? Sorry but no dice. I am actually Japanese and I do not take offense to it in the least.

No I don't, I never implied that I did. I just find it very low on the scale of humour.

Luck?  This is more about competence, and word comprehension. Consider this a teachable moment...  :)

w0w no

Considering I wasn't arguing what you seem to think I was, perhaps it is you who should work on your comprehension skills.

I don't give a squirt about the goings on in this thread other than the "raaaaaaacist" bent going on here.

This is OOC, and doesn't belong here.  If Ubuntu the Great is "racist" for typing the way he does, then I'm racist when I say taco.  Obviously "taco" is a term used  to describe a food item I may purchase from time to time, perhaps at my local taco stand.  It is in NO WAY degrading to any segment of society for an individual to speak in a dialect of any kind.  We get enough of this crap in our daily lives, it does not belong here.

Oh please.  He's not speaking a dialect, he's not using zulu words to describe food (Phutu for instance would be the equivalent of saying taco), he's mocking a dialect based on his stereotype of a people group he's quite probably never met.  

He's role playing and I don't think what he's written is intended to offend, but you're being intentionally thick headed if you don't think mocking someone's accent can be offensive.

And before you say anything, no I'm not in a college dorm room, and yes I do live in Africa.  I do not speak English with an African accent, but many of my friends do, and don't like being mocked.  Ubuntu may be zulu in RL, but odds are he's a white kid in college having a laugh at the brown people who talk funny.  There's a perception of implied stupidity when rich white people pretend to be African and type in silly broken English.

He's RP, and he's quite witty, we should enjoy it and he should post how he wishes - but let's not mock KenoCore for perceiving offense where it's quite natural to do so.

Oh please.  He's not speaking a dialect, he's not using zulu words to describe food (Phutu for instance would be the equivalent of saying taco), he's mocking a dialect based on his stereotype of a people group he's quite probably never met.  

He's role playing and I don't think what he's written is intended to offend, but you're being intentionally thick headed if you don't think mocking someone's accent can be offensive.

And before you say anything, no I'm not in a college dorm room, and yes I do live in Africa.  I do not speak English with an African accent, but many of my friends do, and don't like being mocked.  Ubuntu may be zulu in RL, but odds are he's a white kid in college having a laugh at the brown people who talk funny.  There's a perception of implied stupidity when rich white people pretend to be African and type in silly broken English.

He's RP, and he's quite witty, we should enjoy it and he should post how he wishes - but let's not mock KenoCore for perceiving offense where it's quite natural to do so.

I am deeply offended by that statement. Just because people are of Caucasian descent and are blessed to be born in a more privileged socio-economic environment does not mean that they imply ESL speakers are "stupid" when attempting to replicate their accents on message boards. How dare you. The reverse racism is quite staggering in this day and age. I myself am not a wealthy Caucasian, but I think I speak for all wealthy Caucasians when I say that you should be ashamed, sir. Edited by Isotope

Great to hear! I was insulting you for it, not blithely hopely for any effect on you. You're in SF, you';re a lost cause.

Well, considering I never expected the caption to have anyone rolling on the floor clutching their stomach in laughter, I really do not see how your statement can possibly be insulting to me. We are talking about it now and it was reported by another member of the forum to the moderation team (and was ignored much to my delight)...as far as I'm concerned, it has served its purpose.

I am deeply offended by that statement. Just because people are of Caucasian descent and are blessed to be born in a more privileged socio-economic environment does not mean that they imply ESL speakers are "stupid" when attempting to replicate their accents on message boards. How dare you. The reverse racism is quite staggering in this day and age. I myself am not a wealthy Caucasian, but I think I speak for all wealthy Caucasians when I say that you should be ashamed, sir.

So you deride the racism card when someone is offended, but then play the reverse racism card?  Strange.

When a non-African pretends to be an African and does so by speaking in silly broken English the perception is that their intelligence is being mocked as well.  The intent doesn't have to be there for it to be perceived this way. If you don't understand this, then perhaps you've never experienced it, but that doesn't make it less real.

I doubt this is Umbutu's intention, and I don't know where he is from.  I even think that he should continue posting.  It's easy enough for those of us who don't like it not to read it.  

I'm just appalled that people be so quick to shrug off KenoCore (whom I don't know) for something he very reasonably found to be in poor taste.  Since people were claiming that he had no right to speak because his wasn't an African viewpoint, I thought I would offer one.

Best of luck in your war Umbutu.

So you deride the racism card when someone is offended, but then play the reverse racism card?  Strange.

When a non-African pretends to be an African and does so by speaking in silly broken English the perception is that their intelligence is being mocked as well.  The intent doesn't have to be there for it to be perceived this way. If you don't understand this, then perhaps you've never experienced it, but that doesn't make it less real.

I doubt this is Umbutu's intention, and I don't know where he is from.  I even think that he should continue posting.  It's easy enough for those of us who don't like it not to read it.  

I'm just appalled that people be so quick to shrug off KenoCore (whom I don't know) for something he very reasonably found to be in poor taste.  Since people were claiming that he had no right to speak because his wasn't an African viewpoint, I thought I would offer one.

Best of luck in your war Umbutu.

You must've missed my sarcasm.

The bottom line is that although it is perceived, like we all agreed, the intention is not there. And if KenoCore insists on making this argument, perhaps comparing Ubuntu to a half-retarded baboon wasn't the best thing to help his case. And if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to read it. Just like we all change the channel away from a show we don't care for, he doesn't have to read Ubuntu's posts.

You must've missed my sarcasm.

The bottom line is that although it is perceived, like we all agreed, the intention is not there. And if KenoCore insists on making this argument, perhaps comparing Ubuntu to a half-retarded baboon wasn't the best thing to help his case.

Sorry, I'm not good at detecting internet sarcasm.

Agreed he didn't do himself any favors.  I just took issue with the offense being shrugged off.  Just because something isn't intended to offend, doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

I also strongly believe that just because something is/can be offensive doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.  I find Ubuntu in poor taste, but funny - I hope he keeps posting in character.

And if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to read it. Just like we all change the channel away from a show we don't care for, he doesn't have to read Ubuntu's posts.

I couldn't agree more.  

My dear sirs, As a ruler of a small African nation as my avatar proves I can affirm that I am not offended by Ubuntu's mannerisms. Not all African despots such as myself looted their nations coffers to a degree that allowed them to attend fine expensive UK boarding schools and polish up their English. Dear Ubuntu must have learned his English the hard way, the telly! Now if you'll excuse me I must go dine on some chicken that has been fried and watch an American sport called Ball of Baskets. Jolly good show Ubuntu! GLF

Our nation has never had problems of racism, or other elements of bizarre human self-discrimination.

Once we took over from the primitive local inhabitants, we carapacians have done an admirable job of freeing them from their colour-coded chains. Once we perfect the process, all human [s]vassals[/s]beings will be the same colour for all eternity.

Grey.

As for Ubuntu, it would be good to spar alongside his Alliance some day. I am sure it would be of notable benefit for both parties; 'Competence Coalition' is probably taking notes as we speak.

I am deeply offended by that statement. Just because people are of Caucasian descent and are blessed to be born in a more privileged socio-economic environment does not mean that they imply ESL speakers are "stupid" when attempting to replicate their accents on message boards. How dare you. The reverse racism is quite staggering in this day and age. I myself am not a wealthy Caucasian, but I think I speak for all wealthy Caucasians when I say that you should be ashamed, sir.

:awesome:

Damn yankees.

Also Hello Boogey

Classic "X doesn't find it offensive and s/he's Y so that makes it okay" defense. Falls somewhere between the "I have a friend who's Y" counter and "I'm not racist, but..." comments.

Jesus this blew up all I am saying is there is a double standard.

A) people enjoy his fake accent and find it funny
B) people get annoyed frustrated and insult the Indonesian community for their poor English due it not being their first language.

That's simply what I am getting at.

Jesus this blew up all I am saying is there is a double standard.

A) people enjoy his fake accent and find it funny
B) people get annoyed frustrated and insult the Indonesian community for their poor English due it not being their first language.

That's simply what I am getting at.

I would not be surprised. But what is this Indonesia of which you speak? I have not seen it on my maps of Digiterra.

Classic "X doesn't find it offensive and s/he's Y so that makes it okay" defense. Falls somewhere between the "I have a friend who's Y" counter and "I'm not racist, but..." comments.

Not even close.