Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1358339689' post='3077465']
Any suggestions for a new tech scale?
[/quote]
0-2,500 tech: blunt stones and blunt sticks
2,500.01-5,000 tech: pointy stones and pointy sticks
5,000.01-7,500 tech: pointy stones on pointy sticks
7,500.01+ tech: slings!

No, but really, how far should we scale it back?And how much of a difference will there be between the highest and lowest bracket?

No, 2013 tops. Seriously these tech debates are starting to weird me out. It's to the point I'm tempted to raise the support to pass a vote allowing a community rule that roughly states if someone want's to rp in 1700 with magic they can do it providing they do everything like that and everyone has to engage them in the same way.

That makes no sense does it?

Well neither does most of this retardotech.

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1358343686' post='3077486']
How about we start with - 10 years, and see how that goes?
[/quote]
Why not -100 years?

It's a nice timeframe from 1884-1923, with significant development in technology, but still it is not completely screwing over people. It is an era for technophiles (pre-war) and technophobes (interwar), there is little stuff that is classified compared to now, neither battleships nor carriers would be entirely useless, it matches the IC monarchism, though communism, fascism and liberalism also exist already. And instead of nukes we'll just replace them with 1 nuke = 10,000 m³ of chlorine gas, or Yperite for WRC people. CMs can be replaced with railway artillery shots. We would use baloons instead of satelites, which would also end debate on space warfare. For the space wonder, maybe we could allow people to peacefully colonise it in a Jules Verne fashion?

Wouldn't that be just awesome?

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1358343883' post='3077488']
No, 2013 tops. Seriously these tech debates are starting to [b]weird me out. [/b]It's to the point I'm tempted to raise the support to pass a vote allowing a community rule that roughly states if someone want's to rp in 1700 with magic they can do it providing they do everything like that and everyone has to engage them in the same way.

That makes no sense does it?

Well neither does most of this retardotech.
[/quote]

What can possibly weird you out about how far tech debates have gone?

Seriously though, stick 14,000 tech with 2013 tech and work down from there. When it comes to space, we follow IG and the wonders.[list]
[*]14000 - 2013
[*]13000 - 2012
[*]12000 - 2012
[*]11000 - 2011
[*]10000 - 2010
[*]9000 - 2009
[*]8000 - 2008
[*]7000 - 2007
[*]6000 - 2005
[*]5000 - 2004
[*]4000 - 2001
[*]3000 - 1998
[*]2000 - 1995
[*]1500 - 1992
[*]1000 - 1989
[*]500 - 1983
[*]200 - 1974
[*]100 - 1968
[*]50 - 1962
[/list]

Edited by Voodoo Nova

[quote name='Lord Zephyr' timestamp='1358345836' post='3077499']
The current tech scale is fine, just roll back the years. tbh it doesn't really make sense for everyone to be a first world nation anyway.

WWI 0-100
WWII 100-500
Korean war 500-1500
Vietnam 1500-3000
Gulf war 3000-6000
Current 6000+

Would be interesting too...
[/quote]

Nobody is using WWI technology in the real world except maybe tribes. The minimum tech should be limited to 1960's, as we see plenty of Vietnam era equipment and even 1980's equipment in the hands of nations that have no production of such things. No nation exists in a vacuum, things have a tendency to get around.

[quote name='Gloval' timestamp='1358346515' post='3077503']
Nobody is using WWI technology in the real world except maybe tribes. The minimum tech should be limited to 1960's, as we see plenty of Vietnam era equipment and even 1980's equipment in the hands of nations that have no production of such things. No nation exists in a vacuum, things have a tendency to get around.
[/quote]

So? What nations are in CNRP that have less than 500 tech anyway. I just think that scale would be interesting, mostly because I love WWI and II tech.

[quote name='Lord Zephyr' timestamp='1358346987' post='3077504']
So? What nations are in CNRP that have less than 500 tech anyway. I just think that scale would be interesting, mostly because I love WWI and II tech.
[/quote]
I do too, but still. Making the lower end WWI is not going to make that stuff more widely used, especially not by any nation with decent tech ingame. as long as the tech scale as a whole, with minimum and maximum is scaled back to not go much further than the world wars, that technology will see proliferation past the usage of a few isolated systems. (Here I refer to my own tech scale above.)

[quote name='Lord Zephyr' timestamp='1358346987' post='3077504']
[/quote]
I'm an active tech seller. I have 150 tech max at any given moment, and usually I only have 50.

But a change in the tech scale shouldn't widen the gap between nations, if anything it should simplify the tech scale and make wars based more on strategy and tactics instead of techno-babble.

Voodoo's suggestion is very logical and the military tech between now and 1962 hasn't changed too much except in a few areas, some more significant than others. There are plenty of legacy 60's tech in the US military actively being used up to some years ago, some even now, although I have to admit, it's fast fading away in this present day as COTS (commercial-off-the-shelf) has invaded in many areas that not so sensitive in nature.

[quote name='Gloval' timestamp='1358347692' post='3077508']
I'm an active tech seller. I have 150 tech max at any given moment, and usually I only have 50.

But a change in the tech scale shouldn't widen the gap between nations, if anything it should simplify the tech scale and make wars based more on strategy and tactics instead of techno-babble.
[/quote]
Well, I'd think if the technology would be pushed back to an age like WWI, there isn't too much technobabble. Sure, one could make long posts on how Yperite is composed and how it works, or on how a machine gun reloads the bullet after firing one, what the scientifical background of these mechanisms are, but still, in the end, one knows that mustard gas causes blisters upon contact with skin and destroys the respiratory system if inhaled. That cannot really be contested and there is plenty of proof. However every idiot can understand how most weapons of the age worked and it is more tactics that come into play.

If one even goes back by another 100 years, it is almost purely tactics. Sure, the Gibreauvalle system or the Congreve rockets are technology, but in the end, they did not win the war. And also here, one cannot say it is too hard to learn how the systems work. There are even youtube videos for that. And they don't need more than a quarter hour at best.

You shouldn't need 1000 tech to advance one year once you hit 2004. It takes so long just to get [b]to[/b] 1000 tech. What's wrong with having people with ~3000 or 4000 have modern tech? Unless you're scared of some competition, all it does is breed a more equal playing ground, which means better RP because the only difference is numbers and strategy.

Edited by Poseida

[quote name='Poseida' timestamp='1358349330' post='3077520']
You shouldn't need 1000 tech to advance one year once you hit 2004. It takes so long just to get [b]to[/b] 1000 tech. What's wrong with having people with ~3000 or 4000 have modern tech? Unless you're scared of some competition, all it does is breed a more equal playing ground, which means better RP because the only difference is numbers and strategy.
[/quote]
If you use all aid slots for tech deals, at a rate of 3/100, you can get up to 500 tech a month, 600 if you got a DRA. So, two months for 1000 tech, once one starts buying. The greatest problems are to get to buyer status and to survive the months ICly.

But also here, a WWI scale offers great opportunities. While the minimum amount of technology still does not allow all kinds of weaponry, it does allow already rifles like the Dreyse Needle gun, the Chassepot, even the Gras. Also, Montigny-Mitrailleuses and Gatling guns are already available. On the high end await more advanced bolt-action designs, like the Mauser Gewehr 1898, the Lee-Enfield, the Berthier rifle, the Mosin-Nagant, or my personal favorite, the Steyr-Mannlicher Modell 1895, with more modern machine guns that don't resemble artillery guns anymore. With only 2 (!) years past the starting of the tech scale in 1884, the Lebel rifle becomes available, offering a bolt-action rifle with magazine for those with less tech. I would say, this offers room for considerable technological advancement on the part of better nations, without compromising the ability of smaller nations to counter by use of better tactics.