CNRP OOC Thread

Stormcrow

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cent would you want to live in the Athenian federation? It seems everything that happens there is either a mass-protest, an official being arrested, or the military devolving new gadgets.

There're worse countries to live in.

Would you want to live in Faraway? We might not report certain events, but that does not mean they don't happen...

Cent would you want to live in the Athenian federation? It seems everything that happens there is either a mass-protest, an official being arrested, or the military devolving new gadgets.

I wouldn't mind being in charge of it :P . But it's all part of a bigger plan.

• 1 month later...

So, what is a battleship? What is a cruiser? What is a destroyer?

I'm not so unknowledgeable to not know the basics of it, but I still ask, due to something like this. Post might be already a bit older, but it still is more than relevant, given these ships, for all I know, are still in use. And quite frankly, I'm not really all too willing to have a bit of a bad consciousness to reclassify Akizuki destroyers as frigates due to their underwhelming capabilities for a destroyer, while in the American Commonwealth it would be passing as a corvette even.

I do think that some of these ships are by common sense rule placed in the wrong class and while I in general find some of MGLs military projects to be quite ambigious in terms of how these capabilities are justified, in this case I find it's gotten way out of hand.

Thus, I would like to know what others think on the matter, whether this can see some moderation or is it that we can now build destroyers that have twice the amount of VLS of a Ticonderoga-class cruiser? Or should I just file an actual complaint with the GM court, on whether these designs are within reason or not?

I don't want to introduce hard caps on what a class can field, mostly because just like in the treaty era, we'd see loads of ships that will conform exactly to these maximum limits, but I don't like to be completely outclassed, just because I actually interprete technology and common sense more conservatively and don't go with weapon systems that only exist because of soft limits and a degree of lolteching.

I think first of all we have to acknowledge that the definitions of the vessels is in flux and changing.  An aegis destroyer meets the definitions of a battleship in Mahan's day as does an aegis cruiser.  However it can also perform cruiser and destroyer roles.  

I think that really there's no point in trying short of giving someone dictatorial powers to simply make definitions, of course most people would object because it wouldn't fit with their ill informed opinions, based on a very limited case and lack of exposure to the informed community which discusses such matters.  That's just a simple fact.

So either don't worry about it or radical solution are the two options.