The GM's Court

Executive Minister

My input on the recent rash of nukings:

Sargun: Aside from the rather chidlish tactics, we'll be possibiliy needing SDI rolls from several countries as the nukes pass through.

Axolotlia: Unless it is explained how the PRS Tolstoy managed to get to the East China Sea within a week while breaking through all the SOSUS lines between Africa and the location while moving at a "silent" speed that would make sure it can only get to the East China Sea by 2.5 weeks. In short, Axolotlia needs to completely rewrite his post to even get nukes through.

Shan Revan/Californian: Not going to even talk about these.

iamthey: Sort of silly, but possible. I am against this in the name of RP professionalism.

Vince: See above posts.

Edited by Kankou

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1309281573' post='2743508']
Axolotlia: Unless it is explained how the PRS Tolstoy managed to get to the East China Sea within a week while breaking through all the SOSUS lines between Africa and the location while moving at a "silent" speed that would make sure it can only get to the East China Sea by 2.5 weeks. In short, Axolotlia needs to completely rewrite his post to even get nukes through.
[/quote]

You do realize SOSUS is only in the Northern Atlantic, and as far as I can tell, no one has expanded on that. Nice try.

[quote name='Axolotlia' timestamp='1309285043' post='2743531']
You do realize SOSUS is only in the Northern Atlantic, and as far as I can tell, no one has expanded on that. Nice try.
[/quote]
http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=55581&view=findpost&p=1844328

Hence why you need to do your research. [i]Nice try[/i]

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1309285212' post='2743534']
http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=55581&view=findpost&p=1844328

[/quote]

I love how "All the SOSUS lines" turned to just one...

Edited by Axolotlia

[quote name='Axolotlia' timestamp='1309285683' post='2743538']
[/quote]
That's just one of those around. Do I need to mention the ones that might be around Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Australia, etc? Basically, you're not using "common sense" in the highly militarized CNRP world.

Even if we ignore SOSUS lines, do you think you can just surf around without passing non-ally waters?

That assumes going one way around though. Plenty of people have RPed their subs just showing up without regard for SOSUS nets anywhere in the world. I remember EM RPed them popping up in the North Atlantic during the Irish-Euro War. Ty RPed his popping up in the Pacific during their nuking. Its not unheard of. I RPed a sub on deterrence patrol in the South Atlantic during a the RD-Fizzy War. Most people regularly RP their subs being stationed further out than most other navies.

[quote name='Axolotlia' timestamp='1309285043' post='2743531']
[/quote]

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1309285212' post='2743534']

[/quote]

[quote name='Axolotlia' timestamp='1309285683' post='2743538']
[/quote]

@Axolotlia : Nothing can pass through Indian Ocean without me knowing about it. Apart from north south line from baloch to antarctica i also have tow triangular networks with arctica and another through my island chains like ile st paul, diego gracia, cocos keeling and nicobar islands. but then again with my neutrality in the conflict i may choose not to pass the info to korea.

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1309285852' post='2743539']
That's just one of those around. Do I need to mention the ones that might be around Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Australia, etc? Basically, you're not using "common sense" in the highly militarized CNRP world.

Even if we ignore SOSUS lines, do you think you can just surf around without passing non-ally waters?
[/quote]

Given that a good part of the world is in a coalition against you, yes, I do think I can for this scenario.

And I think it's time we do something about it. Besides, in this case it's been specifically said that the sub sailed for a week to get to the South China Sea.

[quote name='Axolotlia' timestamp='1309286921' post='2743550']
Given that a good part of the world is in a coalition against you, yes, I do think I can for this scenario.
[/quote]

Nope. You have to get through Cochin/HAE, both of which are not in this war and would raise diplomatic hell if a sub passes through without prior notice. Morever, you're overestimating the extent of the coalition's reach.

Edited by Kankou

No, I said it was in [i]radio silence[/i] for the past week. That doesn't mean it wasn't traveling longer. I wouldn't need to maintain radio silence when still around Africa...

[quote name='king of cochin' timestamp='1309286903' post='2743549']
but then again with my neutrality in the conflict i may choose not to pass the info to korea.
[/quote]

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1309286922' post='2743551']
Cochin/HAE, both of which are not in this war and would raise diplomatic hell if a sub passes through without prior notice.
[/quote]

I think you over-estimated your reach with this... lol

[quote name='Axolotlia' timestamp='1309287169' post='2743553']
I think you over-estimated your reach with this... lol
[/quote]
Nope. Telling Korea if a sub is coming and doing something about it are completely different things. All things considered, your sub could not have been in the East China Sea that easily.

[quote name='king of cochin' timestamp='1309286903' post='2743549']
@Axolotlia : Nothing can pass through Indian Ocean without me knowing about it. Apart from north south line from baloch to antarctica i also have tow triangular networks with arctica and another through my island chains like ile st paul, diego gracia, cocos keeling and nicobar islands. but then again with [b]my neutrality in the conflict i may choose not to pass the info to korea.[/b]
[/quote]

Well considering Sri Lanka, the UFE, and Selenarctos are all belligerents against Korea.

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1309377088' post='2744330']
Would sending a space object (satellite or space craft or something) up to bump space debris into another country be against the rules? :awesome:

I've had this question for a long time.
[/quote]
I RPd removing most space debris, there'd be nothing left for you to bump :V
That said, most space debris is too small to survive re-entra.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1309377343' post='2744336']
[b]I RPd removing most space debris, there'd be nothing left for you to bump :V[/b]
That said, most space debris is too small to survive re-entra.
[/quote]
But I was planning on doing that, with lots and lots of explosives! D:

Although explosives wouldn't do much more than put even smaller pieces of debris into space.

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1309377546' post='2744342']
Although explosives wouldn't do much more than put even smaller pieces of debris into space.
[/quote]
But it's harder to spot and catch the smaller pieces, and with the momentum from the explosives, a hail of shrapnel could shred the cables that are stabilizing the space elevator.

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1309377546' post='2744342']
But I was planning on doing that, with lots and lots of explosives! D:

[/quote]
Explosives are almost useless in space. The only thing they do is create debris.

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1309383905' post='2744406']
But it's harder to spot and catch the smaller pieces, and with the momentum from the explosives, a hail of shrapnel could shred the cables that are stabilizing the space elevator.
[/quote]
Unlikely, considering the cables are basically a whole goddamned lot of monofilament wires. They'd cut the debris up.

Edited by Lynneth

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1309385013' post='2744413']
That's right, the space elevator!

Is that still in use? Who owns it?
[/quote]
I've no idea who uses it nowadays, but it's owned by Lavo, who I presume 'automatically' keeps it working.
I've better methods these days.

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1309385013' post='2744413']
That's right, the space elevator!

Is that still in use? Who owns it?
[/quote]
attacking the space elevator would not be good for your health.

[quote name='Mogar' timestamp='1309418684' post='2744910']
attacking the space elevator would not be good for your health.
[/quote]
Great for ragequitting though. I wonder why nobody ever fired a nuke or two at it.

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1309383917' post='2744407']
Unlikely, considering the cables are basically a whole goddamned lot of monofilament wires. They'd cut the debris up.
[/quote]
Monofilament lines=commonly used as fishing lines: http://www.abc-of-fishing.net/fishing-lines/types.asp

[quote]Monofilaments can also weaken when exposed to heat and sun.[/quote]

There are also stronger fibers than monofilaments and they are easily torn up by excessively powerful force (such as shrapnel).

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1309441403' post='2744998']
Great for ragequitting though. I wonder why nobody ever fired a nuke or two at it.

Monofilament lines=commonly used as fishing lines: http://www.abc-of-fishing.net/fishing-lines/types.asp

There are also stronger fibers than monofilaments and they are easily torn up by excessively powerful force (such as shrapnel).
[/quote]
Except those are nylon, which is a HUGE molecule, and I doubt it's actually monofilament in the sense I mean it.
>>made from a single fiber of plastic.
Yeah. Plastic fibers are huge. Plastic molecules are huge.
In the case of the elevator's cables, it's carbon-based, and each of these strings is mere atoms or molecules thick. There's just such a whole goddamned lot that their combined strength keeps the elevator working.
If something's atoms thick and very strong, it's by default incredibly sharp. Make a knife that's so sharp that the cutting edge is a molecule thick and you can cut through iron like butter.

Trust me, I know more science than you, HHYAD. You can't kill the elevator that easily. Even with a nuke, you'd have to hit specific parts to actually wreck it, instead of just inconveniencing the owner and forcing him to replace parts of the cable.

Edited by Lynneth

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1309445852' post='2745030']
Trust me, I know more science than you, HHYAD. You can't kill the elevator that easily. Even with a nuke, you'd have to hit specific parts to actually wreck it, instead of just inconveniencing the owner and forcing him to replace parts of the cable.
[/quote]
Instead of saying it can't be done, why not tell us the specifics of the elevator, like the diameter and such things. I'm sure that if we know those, we can find a way.