SoTW #14: Voting

SinOfNemesis

Which sig is the best?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1282606923' post='2428287']
With your mindset of thinking, if you were an English teacher and I handed in an essay with every third word spelt wrong and the middle of every sentence capitalized, I would receive from you an A. Originality and standing out from the rest is what is key, right? That must be the meaning for the blue text as well.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Lots of great poets made a career out of misspelling words or not using capitalization. E.E. Cummings comes to mind.[/color]

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1282658730' post='2429396']
[color="#0000FF"]Lots of great poets made a career out of misspelling words or not using capitalization. E.E. Cummings comes to mind.[/color]
[/quote]

And yet I doubt you'll find a famous artist who rose to fame scribbling stick figures on a piece of paper.

The people who entered this contest are insulted because their skills have been completely and totally marginalized by a piece so simplistic and lacking in character, one whose justification seems to be that "it is different."

I fully expect the next contest to be full of pictures made in MS paint because apparently that's what everyone wants to vote for.

[quote name='Gairyuki' timestamp='1282661861' post='2429438']
And yet I doubt you'll find a famous artist who rose to fame scribbling stick figures on a piece of paper.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]I cannot name a name, but I am sure there is one out there. After all, Jackson Pollock made a career of simply throwing paint on a canvas.[/color]

[quote name='Gairyuki' timestamp='1282661861' post='2429438']
[/quote]
I realize you aren't exactly the most brilliant mind here, but I should hope that you hadn't gotten into an argument about art without having heard of LS Lowry.

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1282672696' post='2429601']
[color="#0000FF"]I cannot name a name, but I am sure there is one out there. After all, Jackson Pollock made a career of simply throwing paint on a canvas.[/color]
[/quote]

And Pollock had a medium, as well as a style that could not be duplicated. After all, Jackson Pollock's work goes for quite a lot of money. You're going to compare Cheyenne's work to that of Pollock?

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282673772' post='2429620']
I realize you aren't exactly the most brilliant mind here, but I should hope that you hadn't gotten into an argument about art without having heard of LS Lowry.
[/quote]
Lol, you realize thatI'm not exactly the most brilliant mind here? I don't even know what to say to that.

And you're saying LS Lowry, of whom I have in fact heard, painted stick figures, or that his work is comparable to yours? Incredible, Cheyenne. In that case, you do truly deserve to win this SOTW with your MS Paint-produced work of art.

For the record, Lowry's work has depth, texture, and a certain, unmistakable character that gives it a sense of energy. And while I had to check the wikipedia article because I had forgotten what people actually referred to Lowry's characters as, they were called matchstick men (and for good reason, one of which is not because they lack any detail or dynamics). I can't say that they're very similar to the man in your sig, however.

[quote name='Gairyuki' timestamp='1282680168' post='2429736']
And Pollock had a medium, as well as a style that could not be duplicated. After all, Jackson Pollock's work goes for quite a lot of money. You're going to compare Cheyenne's work to that of Pollock?
[/quote]
And the same people that derided his work would likely deride mine. Congratulations on your attempt to censor art, fascist.

[quote name='Gairyuki' timestamp='1282680168' post='2429736']
For the record, Lowry's work has depth, texture, and a certain, unmistakable character that gives it a sense of energy. And while I had to check the wikipedia article because I had forgotten what people actually referred to Lowry's characters as, they were called matchstick men (and for good reason, one of which is not because they lack any detail or dynamics).[b] I can't say that they're very similar to the man in your sig, however.[/b]
[/quote]

Well of course not. Cheyenne's a true artist. He doesn't rip off other people's work, smudge it a little and pass it off as his own.

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282684332' post='2429851']
I intend to wear the ribbon I rightfully won, not the ribbon Davian made to try to discredit the fact that I am obviously a better artist than him.
[/quote]

I hope you aren't discrediting the ribbon just because it was made in paint? :v:

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282680419' post='2429742']
And the same people that derided his work would likely deride mine. Congratulations on your attempt to censor art, fascist.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to censor your art or any art at all, I'm pointing out that I don't find it to be worthy of ~50 people's votes based on the rest of the competition. Who am I to deny your right to enter the contest (which I have no control over anyways)?

I'm honored that you called me a fascist, if anything at all. THANKS CHEYENNE! :blush::wub:

Also, Cheyenne won fair and square. I think he is owed his due reward, despite the fact that he got an original and "creative" award already. Let's move on.

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282705563' post='2430339']
Keep on bawwing, it's pretty hilarious.
[/quote]

But we are not bawwing, we recognize that you won(also Congratulations) and said that your ribbon already was posted in this thread. If someone is bawwing, it's not us. :v:

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282705563' post='2430339']
Keep on bawwing, it's pretty hilarious.
[/quote]

Does it look like I'm bawwing? No, it looks like you are bawwing. You've had your fun, you've won the contest, and now Davian, you know, the person that kind of just runs this contest and hands out the rewards, made you your medal. Take it or leave it.

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282709308' post='2430449']
That's funny, usually when people complain that the person that whipped them in a contest was just "a lulz artist", and refuse to give him the prize generally awarded, it's considered bawwing.[/quote]
I think you're the one baawing for the past 5 pages. :rolleyes:

Don't like our rules, don't enter the competition. Your entry did not even make the original cut if you check.

And to people complaining about ripping off art from others. Renders are not considered ripping off. They are available for public to use and aren't copyright protected.

As to people whining about paying money for photoshop. There are programs that are free and are similar to photoshop: e.g Paint.net. Plus I doubt I have to tell people on CN about such things as torrents.

[quote name='SinOfNemesis' timestamp='1282710169' post='2430463']

Don't like our rules, don't enter the competition. Your entry did not even make the original cut if you check.

And to people complaining about ripping off art from others. Renders are not considered ripping off. They are available for public to use and aren't copyright protected.

As to people whining about paying money for photoshop. There are programs that are free and are similar to photoshop: e.g Paint.net. Plus I doubt I have to tell people on CN about such things as torrents.
[/quote]
So instead of stealing people's artwork, you steal people's software.

[quote name='SinOfNemesis' timestamp='1282710169' post='2430463']

[/quote]

I don't know how New Frontier made his sig, but its interesting, seems original, and probably took as much time to make as some of the others. Just because its not "pretty", doesn't mean its not legitimate, your just being smug and elitist.

And I'd consider "ripping off" something where you hardly did anything towards the end product, which is occasionally the case with some entries in these contests, its one thing to steal, another to rip somebody off.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1282711087' post='2430480']
I hear the software called gimp is pretty good too. It is free for use.
[/quote]

Eh, it is free, but its not really good, perhaps I'm just too used to photoshop, but I've never really been able to use the gimp seriously outside of screwing around with it once in a while.

Edited by memoryproblems

[quote name='memoryproblems' timestamp='1282711407' post='2430484']
Eh, it is free, but its not really good, perhaps I'm just too used to photoshop, but I've never really been able to use the gimp seriously outside of screwing around with it once in a while.
[/quote]

It is the non-photoshopness of it that defeats me every-time i try to mess with it. Horrible interface [i am biased of course].