SoTW #14: Voting

SinOfNemesis

Which sig is the best?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1282365469' post='2425427']
Then create the SSSoTW: Signature with Substance and Soul of The Week. Oh and thanks to avoid all my argument to post some critics about the Cheyenne's sig. I knew I'd lose my time arguing with you,so it's just my fault.
[/quote]

lol You realize that he takes his time to do this to annoy people like you.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jrenster' timestamp='1282365863' post='2425433']
lol You realize that he takes his time to do this to annoy people like you.
[/quote]

Yeah, as I said I knew and even knowing that he was just trying to annoy people I tried to explain, I have just myself to blame.

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1282365469' post='2425427']
Then create the SSSoTW: Signature with Substance and Soul of The Week. Oh and thanks to avoid all my argument to post some critics about the Cheyenne's sig. I knew I'd lose my time arguing with you,so it's just my fault.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]I did not ignore your arguments. I merely dismissed them as irrelevant. Considering that your entire response was about filters and nonsense and it being a "signature" contest I simply summed up what you had to say as adding mediocre effects to mediocre images to create an unimpressive final product. That is not art. I, as someone unfamiliar with graphics programs, could come up with something of a similar quality if I cared to spend several hundred dollars on PhotoShop. Even a child could, and if a child can a monkey can most likely be trained to do it as well. I am simply saying this is not the impressive feat you are making it out to be, nor is this much of a challenge. All of your works are of the same unimpressive quality, and none of them have any character. Cheyenne, MS Paint or not, and regardless of how basic it is in style, has a spark of wit. It has originality and life, and I will take that any day over any superficial special effects.[/color]

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1282366283' post='2425443']
[color="#0000FF"]I did not ignore your arguments. I merely dismissed them as irrelevant. Considering that your entire response was about filters and nonsense and it being a "signature" contest I simply summed up what you had to say as adding mediocre effects to mediocre images to create an unimpressive final product. That is not art. I, as someone unfamiliar with graphics programs, could come up with something of a similar quality if I cared to spend several hundred dollars on PhotoShop. Even a child could, and if a child can a monkey can most likely be trained to do it as well. I am simply saying this is not the impressive feat you are making it out to be, nor is this much of a challenge. All of your works are of the same unimpressive quality, and none of them have any character. Cheyenne, MS Paint or not, and regardless of how basic it is in style, has a spark of wit. It has originality and life, and I will take that any day over any superficial special effects.[/color]
[/quote]

Ok RV.

[quote name='der Rote Baron' timestamp='1282364997' post='2425418']

It's the Nightmare on Elmstreet movie poster with some filters and flames added <_< At least he didn't put that gross bubble font with the gradient over the top of it this time.

[/quote]

I hate to argue this point because I too despise the text he usually puts on his sigs, as well as the overworked effects (in my opinion) that adorn his images. His entry this week, however, is a fantastic example, in my opinion, of beautifully done smudging. The fire effects are top notch smudging (by the looks of it) that I struggle to achieve.

I've never seen any of your work take advantage of smudging, so I have no idea if you know what it is or are familiar with it, but truly getting it right is difficult to do. Davian's got it fairly right this time.

:unsure: Someone should remind me next time not to post topics on OWF when I am on painkillers and other meds.

Due to my own mess up and putting up an entry that did not make a cut into the entries in the original topic, there will be two winners for this round: one will be as it seems "lulzy" and the second one will be awarded to the runnerup for actual art skills.

For those who are defending this entry for its originality (not being made from a render). Well, when there was a scifi or some similar theme, Davian has created an image pure on his tablet. Somehow I didn't see him get so many votes just for his "originality."

So if you voted for the lulzy sig just for !@#$% and giggles, you might as well put your vote somewhere to someone who truly deserves it.

[quote name='Prince Oberyn' timestamp='1282415342' post='2425831']
An elf with wings, very mythological.[/quote]
Let's see here. My elf with wings is a harpy. And harpy is a mythological creature, just fyi. Being bitter won't get you far.

If you're going to put these things up for public vote, then you're going to have deal with people voting for things you don't like.

I've seen some nice signatures from these contests, but the vast majority of them is photoshop wank. All of the signatures in this week's contest, save Cheyenne's, demonstrate technical skill, none of them have any aesthetic merit. You're going to need both to win my vote at least, and aesthetics will always trump skill. And it seems like other people might agree.

You can throw your credibility away by changing the rules halfway through the vote and whining about people voting for the lulz entry, but Cheyenne's success in this contest is as much a comment on the artistic quality of the other entries as it is on Cheyenne's entry.

[quote name='SinOfNemesis' timestamp='1282427888' post='2426004']

Let's see here. My elf with wings is a harpy. And harpy is a mythological creature, just fyi. Being bitter won't get you far.
[/quote]

And that elf looks cool as hell. I love it.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1282429368' post='2426025']
If you're going to put these things up for public vote, then you're going to have deal with people voting for things you don't like.

I've seen some nice signatures from these contests, but the vast majority of them is photoshop wank. All of the signatures in this week's contest, save Cheyenne's, demonstrate technical skill, none of them have any aesthetic merit. You're going to need both to win my vote at least, and aesthetics will always trump skill. And it seems like other people might agree.

You can throw your credibility away by changing the rules halfway through the vote and whining about people voting for the lulz entry, but Cheyenne's success in this contest is as much a comment on the artistic quality of the other entries as it is on Cheyenne's entry.[/quote]
There's aesthetic merit in that one? Really? :rolleyes:

And the point of this change is so that I don't have to take off a sig midvote that didn't make the original cut.

And thanks lion :)

Edited by SinOfNemesis

Thanks whoever voted for me, three votes plus mine is more then what I had planned when I entered. :)

EDIT: Also I'd like to thank RV and others who have voiced some opinions on what they see as wrong or lacking in my signature and I'll hopefully make something more satisfying for the public next time.

Edited by Farore

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1282429368' post='2426025']

You can throw your credibility away by changing the rules halfway through the vote and whining about people voting for the lulz entry, but Cheyenne's success in this contest is as much a comment on the artistic quality of the other entries as it is on Cheyenne's entry.
[/quote]
So what you and RV, and some others here are saying is:

"I don't know how to use Photoshop so I don't appreciate art. You guys clearly like making it, so I think I'll "humble you" by voting for the lulz sig. Hahaha"

[quote name='Gairyuki' timestamp='1282391515' post='2425598']
I hate to argue this point because I too despise the text he usually puts on his sigs, as well as the overworked effects (in my opinion) that adorn his images. His entry this week, however, is a fantastic example, in my opinion, of beautifully done smudging. The fire effects are top notch smudging (by the looks of it) that I struggle to achieve.

I've never seen any of your work take advantage of smudging, so I have no idea if you know what it is or are familiar with it, but truly getting it right is difficult to do. Davian's got it fairly right this time.
[/quote]
Thanks

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1282402558' post='2425670']
Not just smudging i think there is some "liquify" in there as well.
[/quote]
Correct, here's another I've been tussling with.

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/sb669l.png[/IMG]

I personally think I over topaz'd the Freddy and Wolverine sigs. The Topaz on the wolverine was basically to make him more veiny and show off the effects.

[quote name='Caleb279' timestamp='1282444420' post='2426213']

"I don't know how to use Photoshop so I don't appreciate art. You guys clearly like making it, so I think I'll "humble you" by voting for the lulz sig. Hahaha"
[/quote]
I really don't care what RV and D34th have been on about. What the "real" artists already know is that CN is not a graphically orientated forum or community for that matter. For these reasons, most of us (me at least) don't really care about winning. We just like entering weekly and tossing in some nice submissions.

Edited by Davian Thule

[quote name='Davian Thule' timestamp='1282447916' post='2426273']
Thanks

Correct, here's another I've been tussling with.

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/sb669l.png[/IMG]

I personally think I over topaz'd the Freddy and Wolverine sigs. The Topaz on the wolverine was basically to make him more veiny and show off the effects.

I really don't care what RV and D34th have been on about. What the "real" artists already know is that CN is not a graphically orientated forum or community for that matter. For these reasons, most of us (me at least) don't really care about winning. We just like entering weekly and tossing in some nice submissions.
[/quote]

Well to be honest, up until I won the robots one, I was dying to win a SOTW. After that, I stopped caring. Perhaps it's just the drive to win at least once that sets a lot of people off when lulz signatures win.

I have not participated in most. Only do so when the subject matter appeals to me. For this one, I guess being in Ragnarok, i am kind of burnt out on the Odins and the Valkyries. If it is a Sig Of The Week competition, any sig that is true to the declared theme should be allowed to face the vote. Regardless of the artistic/application use level of the entrant.

Yes it is a credible risk that people will vote for a 'lulz' entry, but then that should tell us something. If the populace likes it, then maybe that is what they are asking for. That is, after all the target demographic here, isn't it?

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1282349693' post='2425153']
[color="#0000FF"]I would like to know how Cheyenne's entry is "lulz." Considering that the rest of you have merely found an image online, applied some filters to it PhotoShop and then called it "art," I fail to see where you have room to comment. Cheyenne's work, though simple in its nature, attempts to make a commentary on mythology that reflects the artists view. In this case the artist clearly sees mythology, of cultures, as essentially tales prophesying the end of the world. Whether or not we care to agree is for another discussion, but it cannot be denied that a statement is at least being made. This whereas the other contestants have merely done child's work. While I am not saying your work is comparable to scribbles, as one uneducated in digital art I can safely say what you have made is something that even I could do. Searching for an image, cropping it, and then creating a background and putting in effects and filters is not the groundbreaking work most of you seem to think it is. It does not take a true visionary or artist to do any of that, and consider how skilled youngsters are with computers these days, I still assert that this is child's work.

While Cheyenne may not yearn to be as fancy as yours, what his work lacks in effects it makes up for in message. It is without a doubt that Cheyenne has created the only true piece of art in this competition, and is quite frankly one of the most accurate reflections on modern society's view of ancient mythology. We view it as rubbish, as childish stories, and the artist depicts it as such. This is much more than can be said for any of the others in this contest.[/color]
[/quote]
Indeed, but if we view ancient mythology as rubbish and childish stories, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that all the others are more fitting since they are child's work? Only work that imitates that of children can sufficiently portray mythology, don't you think? As such, I move that the others are, in fact, a better representation since they alone display such a characteristic. Chey's is far too professional and self-reflective -- something children never are -- to win.

[quote name='Caleb279' timestamp='1282444420' post='2426213']

[/quote]

You're trying way too hard.

Thank you, oh glorious CN Artists, for informing me that my art isn't actually art. From now on I know that I have to spend hundreds of dollars on photo-editing software to be considered an artist. I also know that if the people in power don't like your art, they can always just disqualify you from winning a competition.

The greatest periods for art in history have always been the ones in which the elite determined what art was.

Edited by New Frontier

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1282504717' post='2426767']
Thank you, oh glorious CN Artists, for informing me that my art isn't actually art. From now on I know that I have to spend hundreds of dollars on photo-editing software to be considered an artist. I also know that if the people in power don't like your art, they can always just disqualify you from winning a competition.

The greatest periods for art in history have always been the ones in which the elite determined what art was.
[/quote]
I liked your previous post better. :(