Events

quigon jinn

Are events supposed to make the game more fun? I keep getting events that hurt my nation and it's really annoying, especially since I'm a relatively new player.

How many can you have at one time? I'd like to think that you can only get three at once (which is what I have) but is there a limit?

You get them when paying bills right - is there a certain percent chance? It seems the liklihood is going up :( I never got one my first 26 or so days but have now gotten 3 in the past 12 days. This does not bode well for my nation....

Any advice on how to avoid events or answers to those questions would be great. It seems really weird that it would be ideal to [i]avoid[/i] paying bills as much as possible to avoid events, but I think I'm going to have to do that to stop my nation from having earthquakes and floods or damaged highways.

Thanks!

-quigon

They used to be almost impossible to get. I can go a month and a half without any, but some times a get 3 in a week. I do get bad streaks of events sometimes, but by the time it expires you have adjusted your nation to make up for the negative effects and you are better off after 30 days.

[quote name='Captain Calcium' date='20 June 2010 - 11:51 AM' timestamp='1277056246' post='2343913']
Moved to Question Center.

I *believe* you can get events either when paying bills or collecting taxes, but don't quote me on that.
[/quote]

It's a discussion too - I would like to find the most optimal ways to AVOID events.

If it is a percentage odds on collection/bill paying, I should simply avoid paying bills and/or collecting taxes as much as possible then to avoid them right?

Don't try to avoid them. Appeal to your statistical side, knowing that 52% are positive, and 48 negative. You *want* events, or should. I just got a positive one the other day, it'll even out. I pay bills every day because I want to get an event, because I know it'll more likely be positive. Almost a coin flip but not quite.

[quote name='quigon jinn' date='20 June 2010 - 09:24 AM' timestamp='1277043827' post='2343739']
Are events supposed to make the game more fun? I keep getting events that hurt my nation and it's really annoying, especially since I'm a relatively new player.

How many can you have at one time? I'd like to think that you can only get three at once (which is what I have) but is there a limit?

You get them when paying bills right - is there a certain percent chance? It seems the liklihood is going up :( I never got one my first 26 or so days but have now gotten 3 in the past 12 days. This does not bode well for my nation....

Any advice on how to avoid events or answers to those questions would be great. It seems really weird that it would be ideal to [i]avoid[/i] paying bills as much as possible to avoid events, but I think I'm going to have to do that to stop my nation from having earthquakes and floods or damaged highways.

Thanks!

-quigon
[/quote]

Although it has been almost two years, the most recent information in the [url="http://www.cybernations.net/game_update_log.asp"]update log[/url] regarding event odds seems to be current:

[quote=7-2-2008]The frequency of receiving an event has been toned down. The odds of receiving an event drop to 7% after the first event, 3% after two events, and 0% after three events. Those nations with 4+ events since the re-release of events last month will have those events remain active in the game until they expire.[/quote]

In other words, the odds of you receiving a second or third event go down considerably, and a fourth event is impossible.

Not all events are bad, and many of them are good. Most of the bad events aren't [i]that[/i] bad if you choose wisely, but just as there are really good events, there are also rather bad ones to go with it. In the end, it's down to luck, and then choosing what's best for your nation over the next month.

People have had floods in one part of their country and droughts in another. I have had to build the same airport twice. They're random and sometimes you get strange results. I haven't had one for almost three months but for a while, I had 3 at a time.

If you pick the right response, you can minimize the damage from the event. I'm sure your alliance mates will be happy to help.

The way to 'avoid' events is to back date tax collection, thats something you should be doing at certain levels anyway - even if not improvement swapping.

It doesn't reduce the likelyhood of getting an event when you click collect taxes, it just reduces the number of times you click collect!

[quote name='King Hendrix' date='21 June 2010 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1277167511' post='2345890']
What does it mean the likelihood goes down to 0% after 4 events? Is this just at once? Because In my nation's lifetime I think I've had more that 4 events....
[/quote]

It means it's no longer possible to have more than three events active at one time. It was previously possible to have more than 3 events active after Admin turned Events back on June 12th of 2008. At that time, there was a flat one in ten chance of getting an event which is triggered by collecting taxes or paying bills. It was though that the low odds themselves would limit the number of active events a nation would have at any one time. Results proved otherwise resulting in the toning down quoted above which was made on July 2nd, 2008. Odds of getting an event is now scaled depending on how many events you have active with a limit of 3 events. So it's possible you had 4 events or more prior to July 2nd, 2008.

[quote name='iMatt' date='20 June 2010 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1277088936' post='2344523']
Don't try to avoid them. Appeal to your statistical side, knowing that 52% are positive, and 48 negative. You *want* events, or should. I just got a positive one the other day, it'll even out. I pay bills every day because I want to get an event, because I know it'll more likely be positive. Almost a coin flip but not quite.
[/quote]

I'd question the "52% are positive and 48% are negative" numbers there. I don't know for sure, but that doesn't match my experience.

I'd also say that some so-called "positive" events are essentially neutral. For instance, I had an event which lowered soldier cost, but since I wasn't at war, it had no effect.

Overall, I'm pretty sure that events hurt more than help.

However, overall, I think it makes a minor amount of difference, and that everyone else has to deal with them too, just like I do.

[quote name='Baldr' date='24 June 2010 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1277427104' post='2349309']
I'd question the "52% are positive and 48% are negative" numbers there. I don't know for sure, but that doesn't match my experience.

I'd also say that some so-called "positive" events are essentially neutral. For instance, I had an event which lowered soldier cost, but since I wasn't at war, it had no effect.

However, overall, I think it makes a minor amount of difference, and that everyone else has to deal with them too, just like I do.
[/quote]
I tried to find the reference to admin saying events happen with 52/48 split but I couldn't. Trust me though :P There exist negative events which are also net zero (choosing between nullifying the SM or the MIC effects, for example), so it goes both ways.

In addition to you having marginally more positive events, you also get to choose between 3 options, so you can choose the "best" or least "worst" option.

Aside from that, everyone gets events. If you believe negative events happen more, then you should still be okay with it, just like the GRL (as you said when we talked on IRC), it should affect everyone equally.

[quote name='Baldr' date='24 June 2010 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1277427104' post='2349309']

[/quote]

The event I have right now is basically the same as "income reduced by 5%"

That's not really a minor difference at all.

-5$ affects a nation with not all the wonders or improvements a heck of a lot more than someone with max improvements and some wonders. Kinda weird that newer players are hurt more by events, when conceptually a bigger nation would have a much higher "cost" associated with events such as earthquakes, huge floods, etc.

[quote name='quigon jinn' date='25 June 2010 - 12:37 AM' timestamp='1277437061' post='2349583']

That's not really a minor difference at all.

-5$ affects a nation with not all the wonders or improvements a heck of a lot more than someone with max improvements and some wonders. Kinda weird that newer players are hurt more by events, when conceptually a bigger nation would have a much higher "cost" associated with events such as earthquakes, huge floods, etc.
[/quote]

You can't expect admin to make all events a -%1 or -%2 or negative whatever % of your income. having a plus or minus absolute amount is bound to hurt those who have a lower income. You'll be big soon enough, and won't have to deal with that.

[quote name='quigon jinn' date='24 June 2010 - 10:37 PM' timestamp='1277437061' post='2349583']

That's not really a minor difference at all.[/quote]

I'm not saying that every event is minor. I'm saying that even though I believe events, overall, tend to hurt more than help (and I've got no empirical evidence of that, just gut feel) I believe that the overall impact is minor. Yes, that one hurts you. But statistically, you'll get some good events along the way, too, which will help offset the harm done by this one. Overall, long term, I think the net effects of events is fairly minor.

[quote]-5$ affects a nation with not all the wonders or improvements a heck of a lot more than someone with max improvements and some wonders. Kinda weird that newer players are hurt more by events, when conceptually a bigger nation would have a much higher "cost" associated with events such as earthquakes, huge floods, etc.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I'd agree. 5% of the income from a large nation with all the improvements and most of the financial wonders is going to be a lot more money than it is for you. 5% if your income is a pretty hard hit no matter what nation is involved.

[quote name='Baldr' date='25 June 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1277502399' post='2350375']

I'm not sure I'd agree. 5% of the income from a large nation with all the improvements and most of the financial wonders is going to be a lot more money than it is for you. 5% if your income is a pretty hard hit no matter what nation is involved.
[/quote]

I think what he is saying is the event he has represents 5% of his income which is different from a flat 5% reduction to any nation. Most of the negative events are for fixed amounts of cash or happiness. So a $5 reduction in income for a small nation with citizen incomes of $100 represents a loss of 5% where for a large nation with citizen incomes of $500 it only represents a 1% reduction.