Billing Notice

[quote name='Biazt' date='03 June 2010 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1275577588' post='2322103']
So this thread is basically a potshot on ERA from some \m/ members, with a bunch of other alliances coming to ERA's defense (against nothing)?

Bob is getting pretty stale these days :(
[/quote]

Quick Biazt, post something, we need more GOONSpiracies.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Comrade Craig' date='03 June 2010 - 12:47 AM' timestamp='1275540449' post='2321745']
Over my red body, comrade.

-Craig
[/quote]
I meant retaliate without external help. ;)

[quote name='d3filed' date='03 June 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1275576624' post='2322087']
On recieving this message, i'd like to apologise to RED, and their [i]incredibly competent[/i] leader LRA. I can only pray for his forgiveness, and the preservation of my nation.
[/quote]

I think this calls for a new word: 'incrompetent'

[quote]Main Entry: in·crom·pe·tent
Pronunciation: \in-ˈkräm-pə-tənt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: kingzog, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin competent-, competens, from present participle of competere
Date: 21st century

1 : incredibly competent
2 : incredibly incompetent
3 : both
4 : neither
5 : LRA[/quote]

[quote name='Biazt' date='03 June 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1275577588' post='2322103']So this thread is basically a potshot on ERA from some \m/ members, with a bunch of other alliances coming to ERA's defense (against nothing)?[/quote]

To be fair, a couple of us showed up to support said \m/embers in their quest to rid the world of the pointless.

Edited by Ashoka the Great

[quote name='ChairmanHal' date='03 June 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1275578460' post='2322121']
Indeed, in fact I had the Gramlins situation in mind when I created the example. Would not members of all variety of alliances who suggested that people leave Gramlins rather than be part of Ramius' last stand be guilty of poaching by the Vilien's definition? That's why I say poaching is a much more specific act. By me saying, "your alliance stinks, you should join another one", I'm merely expressing an opinion, not necessarily committing an overt act to recruit someone.[/quote]

Essentially, the greater the recruitment threat is perceived, the greater the likelihood it will be considered a valid CB and/or induce a reaction from the alliance whose members are being recruited.

Recruiting other alliances' members during wartime is a way to undermine an alliance's strength and fairly widely accepted as a legitimate strategy. Wet, raincoat, etc. Doing it during peacetime is also a way to undermine an alliance's strength, and can be a valid CB based on how serious the intent to undermine is. If it's a recruitment letter to your own alliance via CN PM during peacetime, it's probably poaching, as CN PM isn't usually a medium for light chit-chat and jokes (outside of war). Higher likelihood that the recruiter is serious. Saying the same thing via IRC and/or the OWF, however, is much less likely to be interpreted as a threat to an alliance, as they are considered less serious environments... perhaps not by OWF users, but by those smart enough to stay away from it. Yes, I'm aware I'm incriminating myself, but let's face it: very rarely does something substantial ever come from public channels, making it more acceptable.

This is an entirely different matter from creating propaganda. Announcing that \m/ sucks and that all people should abdicate it always and forever is just another day on the forums, and short of Shark Week, no repercussions will come of it. This is *probably* because members that can be swayed by OWF propaganda are usually not members worth keeping.

And then we're going to Washington D.C. to take back the White House.

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' date='03 June 2010 - 04:26 AM' timestamp='1275564388' post='2321971']
"I've been looking everywhere and I have [b]NOT[/b] seen any Protectorate Treaty between The International and the Red Elite Defence. Please could you point out where such a treaty was announced, my communist comrade?"
[/quote]

You can find the OWF announcement here: [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=85175]The Sputnik Treaty[/url].

-Craig

[quote name='Comrade Craig' date='03 June 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1275587154' post='2322266']
You can find the OWF announcement here: [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=85175]The Sputnik Treaty[/url].

-Craig
[/quote]
"Looking at that treaty, I see one minor loophole, that being the treaty being devoid of signatures. Care to explain?"

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' date='03 June 2010 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1275587386' post='2322269']
"Looking at that treaty, I see one minor loophole, that being the treaty being devoid of signatures. Care to explain?"
[/quote]
The International seems willing to uphold the treaty.

[quote name='Felix von Agnu' date='03 June 2010 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1275587534' post='2322270']
The International seems willing to uphold the treaty.
[/quote]
"Yet what good is a treaty without signatures. That would be like drafting a piece of work, releasing it with no mention or reference to you within it and then after a month or so, claiming that you are the legitimate holder of it even though it might be near impossible to potentially prove that you did in fact write it."

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' date='03 June 2010 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1275587641' post='2322274']
"Yet what good is a treaty without signatures. That would be like drafting a piece of work, releasing it with no mention or reference to you within it and then after a month or so, claiming that you are the legitimate holder of it even though it might be near impossible to potentially prove that you did in fact write it."
[/quote]
I don't think anyone is contesting whether they signed the treaty or not. A treaty isn't a piece of art to claim. I think the actions say more than signatures ever could.

[quote name='Felix von Agnu' date='03 June 2010 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1275587826' post='2322276']
I don't think anyone is contesting whether they signed the treaty or not. A treaty isn't a piece of art to claim. I think the actions say more than signatures ever could.
[/quote]
"When it gets down to it, signatures can prove the legitimacy of it because any random group of people could draft a treaty, yet if signatures are present, it allows people to know who was responsible for such a treaty."

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' date='03 June 2010 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1275587641' post='2322274']
[/quote]
The treaty was announced in a public forum bearing the name of their alliance. Your analogy is inaccurate as it absolutely has refrence to both alliances. If they do not dispute it, why is there a problem?

[quote name='ktarthan' date='03 June 2010 - 07:00 PM' timestamp='1275587985' post='2322282']
The treaty was announced in a public forum bearing the name of their alliance. Your analogy is inaccurate as it absolutely has refrence to both alliances. If they do not dispute it, why is there a problem?
[/quote]
"Hypocrisy is a art-form, and I'm the Archduke of it. Overall, I do believe that \m/ most likely hold the same opinions as I do on this issue, that being that RED didn't have a proper Protectorate Treaty with all the formalities you'd expect from it. Wait a minute, just thinking about it, doesn't your alliance thrive on the raiding of alliances which haven't got the right... protection in place?"

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' date='03 June 2010 - 01:59 PM' timestamp='1275587956' post='2322280']
"When it gets down to it, signatures can prove the legitimacy of it because any random group of people could draft a treaty, yet if signatures are present, it allows people to know who was responsible for such a treaty."
[/quote]
[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=85696&st=0&p=2293915&hl=Andover&fromsearch=1&#entry2293915"]I remember a situation where the sigs did not prove the legitimacy of the treaty.[/url]

[quote name='Felix von Agnu' date='03 June 2010 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1275588269' post='2322289']
[url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=85696&st=0&p=2293915&hl=Andover&fromsearch=1&#entry2293915"]I remember a situation where the sigs did not prove the legitimacy of the treaty.[/url]
[/quote]
"Yet those two alliances are non-entities, I doubt anyone would care if those two were rolled like two love-struck lovers being thrown into a barrel and well... you get the idea."

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' date='03 June 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1275588177' post='2322285']
"Hypocrisy is a art-form, and I'm the Archduke of it. Overall, I do believe that \m/ most likely hold the same opinions as I do on this issue, that being that RED didn't have a proper Protectorate Treaty with all the formalities you'd expect from it. Wait a minute, just thinking about it, doesn't your alliance thrive on the raiding of alliances which haven't got the right... protection in place?"
[/quote]
I wouldn't say that we "thrive" on it, but yes we do raid small unprotected alliances. However, any goon with any bit of sense would read as far as that thread's subtitle and then start looking for a different target.

[quote name='Daikos' date='03 June 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1275588099' post='2322284']
Is this argument happening or am I stuck in some sort of horribly boring and irrelevant nightmare?
[/quote]

The pedantic e-lawyering of the OWF peanut gallery never fails to deliver a new high in low.

-Craig

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' date='03 June 2010 - 05:19 AM' timestamp='1275563949' post='2321964']
Gladly.

The good people at \m/, having taken up the crusade abandoned by Nordreich, are provoking a global war against Communism.

Or something.
[/quote]

/me hides the maps with big mushroom clouds that say "bomb here" :nuke:

Edited by SF Austin

[quote name='Franz Ferdinand' date='03 June 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1275587386' post='2322269']
[/quote]
Moldavi II?

If International want to protect RED, they can as they darn well please, as is their right as a sovereign alliance, treaty or no treaty, sigs or no sigs.

\m/ want to use their sovereign right as an alliance to pull all this crap, they too can as they darn well please. It probably won't end well for anyone involved, though. I seem to recall International's friends being a tough bunch to handle a few months back…