Sanctions as a Weapon

Sephiroth

[quote name='Haflinger' date='23 April 2010 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1272076833' post='2272656']
Oh sure.

But I've never seen a sanction reason along the lines of "Vulturing from our enemy."

See, you have to remember - the whole argument in this thread is not over whether attacking him was reasonable. I don't think anyone is arguing that. What's being argued over is why your team had to lose access to his resources in order to make your attack a little bit easier.
[/quote]
So you defend a point, and then when proven wrong, simply dismiss it as irrelevant? Bravo.

The whole point of the current topic is that Methrage is lying in order to try and defend his position and discredit GOONS. We have already stated our full reasoning for requesting the sanction over and over through this thread, so I don't even think that warrants any more description. All he is doing at this point is bringing up irrelevant points and half truths without ever meaningfully refuting anything we claim.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Haflinger' date='23 April 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1272076833' post='2272656']
Oh sure.

But I've never seen a sanction reason along the lines of "Vulturing from our enemy."

See, you have to remember - the whole argument in this thread is not over whether attacking him was reasonable. I don't think anyone is arguing that. What's being argued over is why your team had to lose access to his resources in order to make your attack a little bit easier.
[/quote]

that's not "the whole argument" in this thread. In fact, the discussion I was having that you replied to was Methrage painting himself as this blameless saint who was set upon while out picking flowers and petting kittens.

As I said to Bob Janova, you seem to be trying to pick on [i]single[/i] reasons. The case we brought to Umbrella, which they accepted, was based on the [i]totality[/i] of the situation.

You guys had a good enough CB to attack, although I'm disappointed Umbrella would see that as reason to sanction me. I got my trades fixed up on no team now and think those I'm fighting won't be much of a problem. If you guys think sanctions are fine as weapon, just as any other I think you should say so. If your argument for sanctioning me is based on you labeling me a rogue, I think its faulty.

Citadel now has 6 members now, still growing stronger through war.

Edited by Methrage

[quote name='Methrage' date='23 April 2010 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1272084723' post='2272787']
Citadel now has 6 members now, still growing stronger through secret third-party aid.
[/quote]
Fixed that for you.

Also, you're still a liar.

[quote name='ktarthan' date='24 April 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1272085639' post='2272799']
Fixed that for you.

Also, you're still a liar.
[/quote]
Making the same false accusation over and over again won't make it true, you're just sad I nuked your precious pixels.

[quote name='Methrage' date='23 April 2010 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1272087038' post='2272806']
Making the same false accusation over and over again won't make it true, you're just sad I nuked your precious pixels.
[/quote]
Naw, like I said, I'm glad to have the lower bills right now.

Also, ignoring our proof over and over again won't make it false, so you're still a liar.

[quote name='ktarthan' date='24 April 2010 - 01:36 AM' timestamp='1272087388' post='2272813']
Naw, like I said, I'm glad to have the lower bills right now.

Also, ignoring our proof over and over again won't make it false, so you're still a liar.
[/quote]
It was actually a ground attack on you sitting in defcon 5 that funded the nuke for both you and Hidraca, so thank you for the war contribution and no u.

[quote name='Methrage' date='23 April 2010 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1272087641' post='2272820']
It was actually a ground attack on you sitting in defcon 5 that funded the nuke for both you and Hidraca, so thank you for the war contribution and no u.
[/quote]
Actually that bought you from ~700 to ~850 infra. I was watching. :ehm:
You collected taxes to buy the nuke. (Although without my funds you probably wouldn't have got there - oh well)

Also, I'm glad you've decided to admit the nature of your arguments.

[quote name='Lamuella' date='23 April 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1272079752' post='2272725']
that's not "the whole argument" in this thread. In fact, the discussion I was having that you replied to was Methrage painting himself as this blameless saint who was set upon while out picking flowers and petting kittens.[/quote]
If you really think that... well lol. Methrage may be a lot of things, and I don't really have the highest opinion of him anyway (poor old crazy FCC), but pretending to be blameless is not among his qualities.

I'll put this whole thread to rest. Umbrella was not abusing their power. They were merely listening to their voters.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='24 April 2010 - 05:53 AM' timestamp='1272106402' post='2272915']
If you really think that... well lol. Methrage may be a lot of things, and I don't really have the highest opinion of him anyway (poor old crazy FCC), but pretending to be blameless is not among his qualities.
[/quote]

he was loudly and publicly claiming we had no reason to attack him and he was wandering along uninvolved in this situation until we dragged him in. By the way, thanks for deleting the other part of my comment where I essentially summed up our difference in opinion. Glad to know you'd prefer to argue than to actually reach consensus.

[quote name='Methrage' date='24 April 2010 - 12:52 AM' timestamp='1272084723' post='2272787']
Citadel now has 6 members now, still growing stronger through war.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]So, GOONS is still bleeding members over this fiasco? Keep up the good work.[/color]

[quote name='Lamuella' date='24 April 2010 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1272119747' post='2272988']
he was loudly and publicly claiming we had no reason to attack him and he was wandering along uninvolved in this situation until we dragged him in. By the way, thanks for deleting the other part of my comment where I essentially summed up our difference in opinion. Glad to know you'd prefer to argue than to actually reach consensus.
[/quote]
When did I say you had no reason to attack? I think I even said you had good enough reason to attack if you wanted to, but I think Umbrella sanctioning was wrong since you were still the aggressor and I'm not a rogue. If you and Umbrella consider sanctions fine as a weapon just as any other then say so, although this talk of me being a rogue as the reason is non-sense.

[quote name='Methrage' date='24 April 2010 - 11:34 AM' timestamp='1272130431' post='2273128']
When did I say you had no reason to attack? I think I even said you had good enough reason to attack if you wanted to, but I think Umbrella sanctioning was wrong since [b]you were still the aggressor[/b] and I'm not a rogue. If you and Umbrella consider sanctions fine as a weapon just as any other then say so, although this talk of me being a rogue as the reason is non-sense.
[/quote]

Classic Methrage! Just like I said on the previous page. Losing the argument? Switch lies. Keep broadcasting.

Well, with out having read the last 51 pages, I have to say that this has been an issue on Planet Bob for a very long time, and it's no surprise to me that any alliance would do it, like wise it's also no surprise to me that someone is coming on here to complain. I think it's about time alliances start to realize that the sanctions are not meant to be a weapon of war.

[quote name='magicmountain' date='24 April 2010 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1272133628' post='2273187']
Classic Methrage! Just like I said on the previous page. Losing the argument? Switch lies. Keep broadcasting.
[/quote]
You represent your alliance well, bringing up no reasons for your false accusation, but repeating it over and over again since you have no arguments. Congrats on repeating what you said on the last page while still not bringing forward reasons for your accusation.

[quote name='Nintenderek' date='24 April 2010 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1272134065' post='2273193']
Well, with out having read the last 51 pages, I have to say that this has been an issue on Planet Bob for a very long time, and it's no surprise to me that any alliance would do it, like wise it's also no surprise to me that someone is coming on here to complain. I think it's about time alliances start to realize that the sanctions are not meant to be a weapon of war.
[/quote]

Why join the discussion when you admit you aren't interested in understanding what we're actually talking about?

Trying to paint the discussion as "sanctions as a weapon" is merely Methrage trying to drum up support for his anti-GOON crusade.

[quote name='Methrage' date='24 April 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1272134353' post='2273202']
You represent your alliance well, bringing up no reasons for your false accusation, but repeating it over and over again since you have no arguments. Congrats on repeating what you said on the last page while still not bringing forward reasons for your accusation.
[/quote]

Interesting that you should say that, when I quoted your post and even bolded my reason for my accusation. Next?

[quote name='magicmountain' date='24 April 2010 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1272134479' post='2273204']
Why join the discussion when you admit you aren't interested in understanding what we're actually talking about?

Trying to paint the discussion as "sanctions as a weapon" is merely Methrage trying to drum up support for his anti-GOON crusade.
[/quote]

Because I very well am interested in what your talking about. I'm interested in Planet Bob politics and what can help make Planet Bob better. I don't care what your excuse for why these were used is, the facts I know are as follows.

1. GOONS was at war with Methrage, and/or his alliance
2. Sanctions were used during this war

That's all I need to know. Typically, sanctions are saved for the worse of rouges and the worse of criminals on Planet Bob. Methrage doesn't sound like either of those, so sanctions were abused in this case. That's all I need to know to peak my interest.

[quote name='Nintenderek' date='24 April 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1272134863' post='2273214']
Because I very well am interested in what your talking about. I'm interested in Planet Bob politics and what can help make Planet Bob better. I don't care what your excuse for why these were used is, the facts I know are as follows.

That's all I need to know. Typically, sanctions are saved for the worse of rouges and the worse of criminals on Planet Bob. Methrage doesn't sound like either of those, so sanctions were abused in this case. That's all I need to know to peak my interest.
[/quote]

Well, if you're not even going to read the thread and then make some assumptions based on your very limited understanding of the situation, go right ahead. When you feel like taking the time to understand what actually happened and you have something to say about that, we'll be here.

[quote name='magicmountain' date='24 April 2010 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1272135134' post='2273218']
Well, if you're not even going to read the thread and then make some assumptions based on your very limited understanding of the situation, go right ahead. When you feel like taking the time to understand what actually happened and you have something to say about that, we'll be here.
[/quote]

I only needed one post to know what I'm talking about.

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='22 April 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1271981995' post='2271330']
When your "freedom of expression" infringes upon the rights of others then there is a problem.
[/quote]

Rebel Virginia is an old friend, and I've learned to take his word as what's right most of the time. Your sanctions have hurt another nation with out just cause. I doubt Methrage even saw them coming. He was probably just some CNer looking for a little attention. This is wrong in every aspect of the word and GOONS should be ashamed for these actions. Sanctions do not need to be used except in the most severe of circumstances. Did you think of his trade partners when you sanctioned him? I'm sure 4-5 people lost a valuable trade partner because of your sanctions and will now have to take the time to find a new one. This is a disgrace.

So you came here with a conclusion already set in mind, and now you refuse to actually read things people have said in favor of repeating your foregone conclusion? Roger that. You'll fit right in.

Edited by magicmountain

[quote name='Nintenderek' date='24 April 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1272135455' post='2273225']
I only needed one post to know what I'm talking about.

Rebel Virginia is an old friend, and I've learned to take his word as what's right most of the time. Your sanctions have hurt another nation with out just cause. I doubt Methrage even saw them coming. He was probably just some CNer looking for a little attention. This is wrong in every aspect of the word and GOONS should be ashamed for these actions. Sanctions do not need to be used except in the most severe of circumstances. Did you think of his trade partners when you sanctioned him? I'm sure 4-5 people lost a valuable trade partner because of your sanctions and will now have to take the time to find a new one. This is a disgrace.
[/quote]

I've seen you post elsewhere before, and I've never been impressed. For you to come into this thread and continue the same charade RV is (meaning arguing a point without knowing all the details about what you're arguing against) is ridiculous, especially since RV is here for the game, not the results. You've basically stated that you don't care what the specifics are, and that you're only here because RV is. Feel free to find something more constructive to do, because you're nowhere near as entertaining (nor as intelligent) as RV is. Get a dog, little loggy. Get a dog.

[quote name='Nintenderek' date='24 April 2010 - 02:48 PM' timestamp='1272134863' post='2273214']

[/quote]
Had you bothered to read the topic, you'd see Methrage's true colors. Until then, have fun continuing to make a fool out of yourself, lapdog.

[quote name='Thomas Jackson' date='24 April 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1272136639' post='2273233']
Had you bothered to read the topic, you'd see Methrage's true colors. Until then, have fun continuing to make a fool out of yourself, lapdog.
[/quote]
Reading the whole topic only shows that I'm right and GOONS are abusing the senate.