Sanctions as a Weapon

Sephiroth

[quote name='magicmountain' date='26 April 2010 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1272310014' post='2276246']
"'War' is a made up word." - Haflinger, 4-26-10

Jeez buddy ever hear of a thing called context? Please contribute more to the discussion, I find your thoughts and ideas to be fascinating.
[/quote]
In the place where I quoted it, yes it was. The poster said you weren't at war with methrage. This is pretty much the exact opposite of the truth.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Haflinger' date='26 April 2010 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1272309923' post='2276243']
I'm sorry that you think I was splitting hairs. Wording is important, and making up words kind of defeats the whole purpose of talking to people. Otherwise I would simply say "Snickerdoodles are awesome!" and then define all of the world in terms of its relationship to snickerdoodles.
[/quote]
I have more of an issue of how you decided to deal with this percieved faux pas. You obviously knew what the intent of the statement was by the rest of the posting, so it's not hard to imagine that the majority of other people reading the post will also be able to divine the correct intention.

But, if you were honestly concerned for the few people reading it who might take its meaning super literally and who have no clue about the context of this situation, it would have been just as easy to point out the flaw and how it might be misinterpereted, instead of making some inane "witty" reply that takes things even further out of context.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='26 April 2010 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1272310306' post='2276248']
In the place where I quoted it, yes it was. The poster said you weren't at war with methrage. This is pretty much the exact opposite of the truth.
[/quote]

In the context of the whole post he was being disparaging to Methrage by saying "war" is too heavy of a word to describe the situation. You're nitpicking about this or that specific definition and trying to say we don't know how to use words when the truth of the matter is the subtle humor in our use of language has gone completely over your head. Stop making a fool of yourself.

Actually, don't. I'd prefer it if you kept doing it.

[quote name='ktarthan' date='26 April 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1272310804' post='2276262']
Let it rest. This is seriously not worth any more of a pissing contest over.
[/quote]

I would empty quote this, if possible.

I consider this thread to be a pointless circlefest. The semantics battle has gotten beyond boring.

[quote name='Methrage' date='27 April 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1272428522' post='2278133']
GOONS have responded to this thread a lot more than me
[/quote]

There are 227 of us, and one of you. Is it surprising that we reply more than you do?

plus, one of us just bumped a thread that had been inactive for a day an a half in order to make a big important statement that everyone needs to read. I'm fairly sure it wasn't me.

Oh god I thought it was finally over, are we really still having this conversation?

Come on Methmouth you've already said you're not coming back. You've already made your new club for you and your friends, I've already congratulated you on moving on. Couldn't you just move on now?

Edited by magicmountain

[quote name='magicmountain' date='28 April 2010 - 02:24 PM' timestamp='1272479072' post='2278645']
Oh god I thought it was finally over, are we really still having this conversation?
[/quote]
The sanction is still in effect and my nation still under attack, so the topic of the OP still hasn't been resolved. I agree continuing the conversation here is probably pointless though.

[quote name='Methrage' date='28 April 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1272479311' post='2278649']
The sanction is still in effect and my nation still under attack, so the topic of the OP still hasn't been resolved. I agree continuing the conversation here is probably pointless though.
[/quote]

You had the power to end the attacks on your nation long before the sanction was even considered. You know this. You made your decision, now you get to deal with the fallout.

Heh, fallout. See what I did there? That's a little nuke rogue humor.

Edited by magicmountain

[quote name='magicmountain' date='28 April 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1272479373' post='2278650']
You had the power to end the attacks on your nation long before the sanction was even considered. You know this. You made your decision, now you get to deal with the fallout.
[/quote]
You wanted me to surrender before we were at war and I was only fighting Gremlins, that wasn't an option. There has never been a realistic peace option presented by you guys.

[quote name='Methrage' date='28 April 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1272479311' post='2278649']
[/quote]
Just because the situation is not in your favor doesn't mean it hasn't been resolved.

[quote name='ktarthan' date='28 April 2010 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1272479625' post='2278655']
Just because the situation is not in your favor doesn't mean it hasn't been resolved.
[/quote]
So you guys consider me being permanently sanctioned on black as the resolution to the situation? Umbrella said they wouldn't remove it unless you guys ask them to, so anyone who votes for Umbrella supports that sanction permanently being in effect which will lose them a lot of votes. If that is how you want to see this resolved discussing further with you is pointless.

Edited by Methrage

There are always diplomatic options with us. It's usually on the order of writing us a poem or short story about how sorry you are. Basically if you can make a member of government smile you're pretty much off the hook. But remember, it was beneath you to deal with GOONS diplomatically, you just wouldn't stoop so low as to negotiate with scum like us.

Besides the price for peace has gone up. Now that you've nuked a few of our members you'd have to pay quite a bit of reps to get us to stop.

[quote name='Methrage' date='28 April 2010 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1272479846' post='2278659']
So you guys consider me being permanently sanctioned on black as the resolution to the situation? Umbrella said they wouldn't remove it unless you guys ask them to, so anyone who votes for Umbrella supports that sanction permanently being in effect which will lose them a lot of votes. If that is how you want to see this resolved discussing further with you is pointless.
[/quote]
Yep. Resolved.

Edit: Pay no mind to magicmountain. The topic of this OP, as far as GOONS is concerned, is resolved. Our fight with you, Methrage, is another matter, and far from resolved.

Edited by ktarthan

[quote name='ktarthan' date='28 April 2010 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1272479625' post='2278655']
[/quote]

^This.

The situation has been resolved, as using sanctions against you by Umbrella was deemed (by members of The Peanut Gallery) as legally sound. This might lead to some interesting discussions as to who is and who is not considered as a rogue, but that's that.

edit: phrasing

Edited by Cormalek

[quote name='magicmountain' date='28 April 2010 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1272479984' post='2278662']
There are always diplomatic options with us. It's usually on the order of writing us a poem or short story about how sorry you are. Basically if you can make a member of government smile you're pretty much off the hook. But remember, it was beneath you to deal with GOONS diplomatically, you just wouldn't stoop so low as to negotiate with scum like us.

Besides the price for peace has gone up. Now that you've nuked a few of our members you'd have to pay quite a bit of reps to get us to stop.
[/quote]
If you think you're getting reps or an apology for you guys attacking me and getting me sanctioned, you're mistaken. Last time I was nearly ZI I offered white peace to end it, then I hit ZI and you guys kept attacking. I then sent more nukes, now I'm almost ZI again and you continue to attack. I'll offer white peace again if you don't want to risk more nukes, but no reps or poems.

Edited by Methrage

[quote name='Cormalek' date='28 April 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1272480173' post='2278668']
^This.

The situation has been resolved, as using sanctions against you by Umbrella was deemed legally sound by The Peanut Gallery. This might lead to some interesting discussions as to who is and who is not considered as a rogue, but that's that.
[/quote]

Governance By Peanut, The True New World Order

I like it here on Planet Bob, I think I'll be staying a little while :smug:

[quote name='Methrage' date='28 April 2010 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1272480225' post='2278669']
If you think you're getting reps or an apology for you guys attacking me and getting me sanctioned, you're mistaken. Last time I was nearly ZI I offered white peace to end it, then I hit ZI and you guys kept attacking. I then sent more nukes, now I'm almost ZI again and you continue to attack. I'll offer white peace again if you don't want to risk more nukes, but no reps or poems.
[/quote]
Please read the edit to my last post. White peace is beyond an option, but as I said, it is also beyond the scope of this topic.

Yes, do listen to Ktarthan and pay me no mind, as I've said on numerous occasions I have no authority to speak for anyone anywhere at any time. I just wanted to taunt you a little :awesome:

Edited by magicmountain

[quote name='Cormalek' date='28 April 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1272480173' post='2278668']
^This.

The situation has been resolved, as using sanctions against you by Umbrella was deemed (by members of The Peanut Gallery) as legally sound. This might lead to some interesting discussions as to who is and who is not considered as a rogue, but that's that.

edit: phrasing
[/quote]
I think most said it wasn't and they never clarified if they see the use of sanctions as a weapon to be used as any other, or if me being classified as a rogue by them is their basis.

The closest to an answer was magicmountain saying he's seen people say both, but didn't know who was talking for gov. He said he would find out which or try, but never did post an official answer.

Edited by Methrage

[quote name='Methrage' date='28 April 2010 - 11:51 AM' timestamp='1272480691' post='2278676']
I think most said it wasn't and they never clarified if they see the use of sanctions as a weapon to be used as any other, or if me being classified as a rogue by them is their basis.
[/quote]
First, I already tallied a sample of the opinions in this thread and it was [b]overwhelmingly[/b] against you.

Second, who is the "they" you are referring to in this sentence? If it's GOONS, that is false. If it's the peanut gallery, they don't matter. If it's Umbrella, why should they have to come here to explain their position? Go talk to them in person and report back.