Technology Stats Help

Voodoo Nova

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I was wondering what you guys think about an updated and redesigned M551 Sheridan. Design is the same but rebuilt with steel instead of aluminum and getting rid of that terrible 152mm gun/missile launcher and outfit it with a conventional 105mm cannon and possibly a TOW missile launcher? My goal is to retain the Sheridan's mobility (airborne and amphibious capabilities) so the steel armor may not work but if so would it be possible to use (on the front and turret at least) composites to enhance its protection. I don't expect the armor to withstand tank guns but at the very least offer protection against light AT weapons and possibly low caliber cannon fire.

As I understand aluminum armor has a tendency to burn (or at least melt easier than steel) when hit by high explosives and it was a problem for the Sheridan in Vietnam (along with its crappy gun ammunition). I've also seen studies in the past that claims that steel performs better against higher caliber ballistic weapons like HMGs and cannons although I'm honestly not sure as to how accurate that is.

My overall thought is that the weight of the M81 gun/missile launcher would equal the extra weight gained from changing to steel and a 105 mm gun. If we look at the M60s, the M60A2 gained about 7 tonnes from the M60A1 when the switch from the 105 mm gun to the 152 mm system happened. Therefore, I think you can use the extra 7 tonnes to change from aluminum to steel.

[quote name='Altarian Republic' timestamp='1334730767' post='2955233']
Hey, I was wondering what you guys think about an updated and redesigned M551 Sheridan. Design is the same but rebuilt with steel instead of aluminum and getting rid of that terrible 152mm gun/missile launcher and outfit it with a conventional 105mm cannon and possibly a TOW missile launcher? My goal is to retain the Sheridan's mobility (airborne and amphibious capabilities) so the steel armor may not work but if so would it be possible to use (on the front and turret at least) composites to enhance its protection. I don't expect the armor to withstand tank guns but at the very least offer protection against light AT weapons and possibly low caliber cannon fire.
[/quote]

I use a modernized M-48 for my Marines for the size factor, but that's more or less just using the basic design for a dumping ground for a big pile of modern electronics, weapons, and armor.

M-551 is airborne capable due to a large part of it's aluminum construction. Steel would add to the weight considerably. If I were you I'd consider some sort of gun platform design instead.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1335304765' post='2958631']
Using ground penetrating radar, magnetic anomaly detectors, and synthetic aperture radar
[/quote]

I don't think these work the way you think they work.

Ground penetrating radar has short range, and for best preformance must be done on site, on the ground.

Magnetic Anomaly Detectors would mark ore deposits, buildings, and anything else iron.

Synthetic aperature radar: does this even work underground?

Finally, even if you could survey 10 square kilometers per minute, it would still take 54 days to search all of Grand Papua.

I'm pretty sure Triyun was looking only at the neck, so the last part is unnecessary. The more important question: Wouldn't such scanning require at least a spy roll, even if it's scientifically possible?

Edited by Kankou

[quote name='Kankou' timestamp='1335323363' post='2958829']
I'm pretty sure Triyun was looking only at the neck, so the last part is unnecessary. The more important question: Wouldn't such scanning require at least a spy roll, even if it's scientifically possible?
[/quote]

Ah, retract the last point then.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1336580729' post='2965488']Additionally two rear line rail gun battalions were amassed, bringing a total of twenty operational batteries, amassed for ranging 450 kilos into enemy lines.[/quote]

Hey Triyun, can you link me to your source that supports the deployment of non-ship-mounted railguns within the next twenty years?

It is simply an issue of power sources. There is nothing inherently necessary about putting it on a ship, the main thing is the power output created by a warship to power the rail gun. Its certainly not that mobile, however when your talking about this range and you've suppressed the enemies strikers you don't necessarily need to have it.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1336611223' post='2965619']
It is simply an issue of power sources. There is nothing inherently necessary about putting it on a ship, the main thing is the power output created by a warship to power the rail gun. Its certainly not that mobile, however when your talking about this range and you've suppressed the enemies strikers you don't necessarily need to have it.
[/quote]

You can't plug a rail gun into a wall outlet, though. A railgun on a ship has access to the ship's generators, but off of a ship I would ask for a link to a power source under development that is mobile and able to supply enough power for a rail gun.

Edited by iKrolm

According to [url="http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/4231461"]this[/url] page, a 64 megajoule railgun requires 16 megawatts of power generation to fire 6 rounds per minute. (And for comparison power consumption is not linear: a 9MJ railgun draws 3M amps, while a 64MJ railgun draws 6M amps.) [url="http://www.infrastructures.com/0811/copco.htm"]Here[/url] is a 1MW, container-mounted generator that can be pulled by a semitruck. Each of the 20 railguns needs 16 of these plus fuel and supports trucks? Forgive me, but that does not seem like a standard issue setup.

Edited by iKrolm

Those were mobile large armored vehicles were they not? The ones I remember banning of others were like tanks and 155 mm self propelled artillery size and carried their own power source. These are things with wheel bases like such http://courses.engr.illinois.edu/npre201/npre201fall06studentwebs/npre201sp07studentwebsources/aaronbergman/truck.jpg that house their generator on another vehicle.

Edited by Triyun

Depends in a sight to sight battle the batteries would be highly vulnerable to attack but I am guessing that due to the rail guns range that Triyun would be using them as a form of artillery support so you would have to counter with very long range artillery/missile strikes or air strikes all of which you can defend against.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1336611223' post='2965619']
It is simply an issue of power sources. There is nothing inherently necessary about putting it on a ship, the main thing is the power output created by a warship to power the rail gun. [b]Its certainly not that mobile, however when your talking about this range and you've suppressed the enemies strikers you don't necessarily need to have it.[/b]
[/quote]

[quote name='Executive Minister' timestamp='1336683738' post='2966055']
ergo, extremely vulnerable to attack right?
[/quote]

I think the above statement answers that.

Maybe, maybe not, depends on how he deploys and protects them. Further, it depends on how well he's armored the generators. There is nothing saying he can't dig them in deep or mount a serious defense of them via armor and active counter-measures. Though, to be honest, if it was me I'd be running cable and using a ship mounted nuke reactor to power the things, or at least setting that up as a contingency.

Though, whole thing seems odd to me given he controls the sea and has a navy full of rail cannons to call on in support of his units, but everyone has different ideas. Could well be a right hand/left hand situation, which is how I'd use them.