Papal Tour for World Peace

KingChris

"Oh, you know more than you claim, I'm sure..." he said menacingly. He reached out and grabbed Zrinko by the collar, this time coming even closer than before as he pulled the man roughly to him. his nose was practically touching the captive's.

"And you're going to tell us if it takes all week. Though I think the pain will make you break sooner than that."

"No! What else do you want from me, a confession? Everyone knows I shot the Pope, I shot him and I don't regret it." Zrinko was scared of what the investigators would do to him if he didn't speak; he had difficulty trying to keep the truth and his fabrications separate, and the sudden grab made him slip.

"I don't know what you want me to tell you, I've already told you the Cardinal-" Zrinko cut himself off and his eyes widened a little as he realized what he just said.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Cardinal? Well, talk about infighting in the Church. Not Italy at all, then. And if it's a Cardinal, that really limits the possibilities. So who among that maniac Bubba's supporters commissioned this?"

The proximity of his face was not lessened in the slightest, maintaining the intimidation factor to the maximum degree possible.

Zrinko was almost frozen, knowing he had just exposed the Cardinal with a slip of the tongue. Moretti was by far the most vocal supporter of Bubba, and try as he might to pin the blame on others, it would just point back to Moretti anyway. Zrinko knew he was finished.

"Gino Moretti...in Arctica," Zrinko muttered dejectedly. "I was ordered to kill him, and I did my best. Somebody will get him eventually, somebody will!" Zrinko spat on the man's face in defiance.

---

Meanwhile, in Antananarivo...

Cardinal Gino Moretti was in his study, pondering his fate, the window open behind him with the warm evening air coming in. It had been some time since the assassin he sent to kill the Pope was foiled and captured. Zrinko was loyal, but he was not smart. Soon enough he would break, whether the investigators used coercion or trickery.

His assassin had been issued a cyanide capsule in the event of capture, but the poor fool must not have gotten a chance to use it, since the Church kept giving out announcements that an investigation was in progress and a question by a reporter was answered saying the assassin had said something. What did he say? Did he tell them who sent him? If that was the case, then the government would no doubt be planning to arrest him. But when? He had to be constantly vigilant, ever since the failed assassination.

He had used his underworld connections to hire some men to guard his home and person, to protect him against any attacks, though he knew they would be of little use if the world knew of his involvement with the shooting. In the past days, he had been planning his escape from the country. Most of his difficulty was selecting a nation which would be willing to harbor a supporter of Bubba's that had ordered an attack on a very popular figure. Eventually, he had decided on New Zealand. All he needed to do was prepare his plane and obtain asylum there before resigning his post and setting off.

All of this had to be done before Zrinko drew the world's attention to him; then there would be no escape. With New Zealand, he might have a chance.

The Cardinal's train of thought was interrupted by his door opening. He looked up to see the two men hired to protect him enter the room, close the door, and lock it. Moretti immediately knew something was off, even before one of the men made his way around the desk, pulled the old man up by his collar, and threw him over his desk. Before the Cardinal could regain his footing, the man had circled around again and this time lifted Moretti up and held him against the wall. The other man went and closed the window, preventing most sound from reaching the outside.

The first man released the Cardinal, who stood against the wall in fear. The man took out his pistol and screwed on a suppressor.

"What in God's name are you doing?!" exclaimed the cardinal incredulously.

"You think we didn't know about your little operation, old man? You thought you'd get away with it? And then when you get caught with your pants down, you rat us out. We know how it works, Gino."

Moretti narrowed his eyes. "You watch who you're talking to, son. There are men who would avenge my death, and we both know they aren't above killing your family. Is that what you want?"

The man gave Moretti a crack to the jaw. "You don't scare me, you old fool. Without us you're nothing." But the man at the window wasn't quite so sure of this, which was something Moretti noticed.

"You there, son, what's your stake in this? You don't need this in your life. Kill him and I'll see you're well compansated." The other man was too young and too new to the organization to know that such an offer by Moretti was the desperate call of a cornered animal, and that Moretti would just as soon kill him too. The more experienced one tried to explain this as he saw the younger man consider it, but the momentary distraction was just the opportunity Moretti needed.

"Don't do it you !@#$@#$ idi-" then, with surprising strength for his age, the Cardinal moved forward, grabbed the pistol with one hand and turned the man's wrist inwards with the other, pointing the barrel of the weapon toward his heart. With one shot, a life was ended. Moretti held the weapon in his hand as if contemplating what he had just done, then lowered it, looking up at the survivor, who was beginning to grow wary of him.

The survivor stepped closer when the Cardinal showed no signs of hostility. Moretti gestured for him to move closer, a genial smile on his face. He placed his hand on the man's shoulder. "Good work." The man's eyes widened for a moment as the weapon was pressed against his sternum. Four bullets ripped through his body and embedded themselves in the far wall, which shortly became covered by a spray of blood. The body crumpled to the floor and Moretti dropped the weapon, looking suddenly tired. He righted the chair with some difficulty before slumping down on it, his body suddenly weak. He had ordered the deaths of numerous people before, but could not handle the sight of blood or death personally. Moretti vomited on the floor before picking up the telephone receiver and dialing a number in his memory, his face pale and his hands shaking.

"Hello. You need to get the plane ready...and get over here. There's been an...accident."

Later that evening, on the 11 o'clock news...

"Cardinal Gino Moretti of Antananarivo has resigned his position and has announced that he is taking a leave due to health reasons. When asked who would be succeeding Moretti, the Catholic Church declined comment. No further information is available at this time. In other news..."

Several hours later, 2:14, Ivato International Airport, Antananarivo, Arctica

In the pre-dawn hours of August 21, a car pulled up to a fully fueled 747, which had been chartered for this purpose as no plane the Church owned had sufficient range to make the voyage across the Indian Ocean. Even with a 747, they would have to make a stop at Promised Land since it was the only country that was on the way and had a free travel policy towards Arctica. Chartering a flight (as opposed to using a Church plane) almost guaranteed that the plane wouldn't be shot down should Moretti's actions be discovered while the plane was still within the range of the F-16s. The biggest problem was that Promised Land would likely arrest him during refueling if they found out in time. And since Moretti was an old man, he couldn't exactly hold anyone hostage and force them to allow him to take off.

It was very risky, but he had to take that chance, as it was the only option available to him.

At 2:49, the plane removed itself from the ground and began its flight to Perth.

OOC: Your move, Subtle.

Zrinko was almost frozen, knowing he had just exposed the Cardinal with a slip of the tongue. Moretti was by far the most vocal supporter of Bubba, and try as he might to pin the blame on others, it would just point back to Moretti anyway. Zrinko knew he was finished.

"Gino Moretti...in Arctica," Zrinko muttered dejectedly. "I was ordered to kill him, and I did my best. Somebody will get him eventually, somebody will!" Zrinko spat on the man's face in defiance.

---

Meanwhile, in Antananarivo...

Cardinal Gino Moretti was in his study, pondering his fate, the window open behind him with the warm evening air coming in. It had been some time since the assassin he sent to kill the Pope was foiled and captured. Zrinko was loyal, but he was not smart. Soon enough he would break, whether the investigators used coercion or trickery.

His assassin had been issued a cyanide capsule in the event of capture, but the poor fool must not have gotten a chance to use it, since the Church kept giving out announcements that an investigation was in progress and a question by a reporter was answered saying the assassin had said something. What did he say? Did he tell them who sent him? If that was the case, then the government would no doubt be planning to arrest him. But when? He had to be constantly vigilant, ever since the failed assassination.

He had used his underworld connections to hire some men to guard his home and person, to protect him against any attacks, though he knew they would be of little use if the world knew of his involvement with the shooting. In the past days, he had been planning his escape from the country. Most of his difficulty was selecting a nation which would be willing to harbor a supporter of Bubba's that had ordered an attack on a very popular figure. Eventually, he had decided on New Zealand. All he needed to do was prepare his plane and obtain asylum there before resigning his post and setting off.

All of this had to be done before Zrinko drew the world's attention to him; then there would be no escape. With New Zealand, he might have a chance.

The Cardinal's train of thought was interrupted by his door opening. He looked up to see the two men hired to protect him enter the room, close the door, and lock it. Moretti immediately knew something was off, even before one of the men made his way around the desk, pulled the old man up by his collar, and threw him over his desk. Before the Cardinal could regain his footing, the man had circled around again and this time lifted Moretti up and held him against the wall. The other man went and closed the window, preventing most sound from reaching the outside.

The first man released the Cardinal, who stood against the wall in fear. The man took out his pistol and screwed on a suppressor.

"What in God's name are you doing?!" exclaimed the cardinal incredulously.

"You think we didn't know about your little operation, old man? You thought you'd get away with it? And then when you get caught with your pants down, you rat us out. We know how it works, Gino."

Moretti narrowed his eyes. "You watch who you're talking to, son. There are men who would avenge my death, and we both know they aren't above killing your family. Is that what you want?"

The man gave Moretti a crack to the jaw. "You don't scare me, you old fool. Without us you're nothing." But the man at the window wasn't quite so sure of this, which was something Moretti noticed.

"You there, son, what's your stake in this? You don't need this in your life. Kill him and I'll see you're well compansated." The other man was too young and too new to the organization to know that such an offer by Moretti was the desperate call of a cornered animal, and that Moretti would just as soon kill him too. The more experienced one tried to explain this as he saw the younger man consider it, but the momentary distraction was just the opportunity Moretti needed.

"Don't do it you !@#$@#$ idi-" then, with surprising strength for his age, the Cardinal moved forward, grabbed the pistol with one hand and turned the man's wrist inwards with the other, pointing the barrel of the weapon toward his heart. With one shot, a life was ended. Moretti held the weapon in his hand as if contemplating what he had just done, then lowered it, looking up at the survivor, who was beginning to grow wary of him.

The survivor stepped closer when the Cardinal showed no signs of hostility. Moretti gestured for him to move closer, a genial smile on his face. He placed his hand on the man's shoulder. "Good work." The man's eyes widened for a moment as the weapon was pressed against his sternum. Four bullets ripped through his body and embedded themselves in the far wall, which shortly became covered by a spray of blood. The body crumpled to the floor and Moretti dropped the weapon, looking suddenly tired. He righted the chair with some difficulty before slumping down on it, his body suddenly weak. He had ordered the deaths of numerous people before, but could not handle the sight of blood or death personally. Moretti vomited on the floor before picking up the telephone receiver and dialing a number in his memory, his face pale and his hands shaking.

"Hello. You need to get the plane ready...and get over here. There's been an...accident."

Later that evening, on the 11 o'clock news...

"Cardinal Gino Moretti of Antananarivo has resigned his position and has announced that he is taking a leave due to health reasons. When asked who would be succeeding Moretti, the Catholic Church declined comment. No further information is available at this time. In other news..."

Several hours later, 2:14, Ivato International Airport, Antananarivo, Arctica

In the pre-dawn hours of August 21, a car pulled up to a fully fueled 747, which had been chartered for this purpose as no plane the Church owned had sufficient range to make the voyage across the Indian Ocean. Even with a 747, they would have to make a stop at Promised Land since it was the only country that was on the way and had a free travel policy towards Arctica. Chartering a flight (as opposed to using a Church plane) almost guaranteed that the plane wouldn't be shot down should Moretti's actions be discovered while the plane was still within the range of the F-16s. The biggest problem was that Promised Land would likely arrest him during refueling if they found out in time. And since Moretti was an old man, he couldn't exactly hold anyone hostage and force them to allow him to take off.

It was very risky, but he had to take that chance, as it was the only option available to him.

At 2:49, the plane removed itself from the ground and began its flight to Perth.

OOC: Your move, Subtle.

OOC: Wow...nice one, Vedran.

IC: The investigator grinned, not at all perturbed by the spittle running down the side of his face. He released Zrinko to slump back into his chair, and the one in charge of the investigation immediately left the room.

He was going to inform the Vatican that they had found the identity of the true mastermind, and in turn transmit the results to his own government.

--------

The alert had not yet gone out when the plane landed. However, heavy security checks were the standard still for every incoming flighh. If Cardinal Gino Moretti had not been informed of the strict security that stopped just short of the infamous body cavity searches made popular by the Uberseinian Empire, he might think they were onto him, at least until he saw passengers from other flights were being subjected to the same treatment.

Luggage thoroughly examined, he had to pass through a scanner that checked for weapons, etc.

In the end, he was pronounced clean and given the clearance to re-board the plane.

But right as that clearance was granted, the man's picture came througfh, and as he was boarding the plane, one of the guards recognized his face.

OOC: is it a private plane chartered only for him? I need to know before I continue...

OOC: Wow...nice one, Vedran.

IC: The investigator grinned, not at all perturbed by the spittle running down the side of his face. He released Zrinko to slump back into his chair, and the one in charge of the investigation immediately left the room.

He was going to inform the Vatican that they had found the identity of the true mastermind, and in turn transmit the results to his own government.

--------

The alert had not yet gone out when the plane landed. However, heavy security checks were the standard still for every incoming flighh. If Cardinal Gino Moretti had not been informed of the strict security that stopped just short of the infamous body cavity searches made popular by the Uberseinian Empire, he might think they were onto him, at least until he saw passengers from other flights were being subjected to the same treatment.

Luggage thoroughly examined, he had to pass through a scanner that checked for weapons, etc.

In the end, he was pronounced clean and given the clearance to re-board the plane.

But right as that clearance was granted, the man's picture came througfh, and as he was boarding the plane, one of the guards recognized his face.

OOC: is it a private plane chartered only for him? I need to know before I continue...

OOC: Yes, it was chartered for him since the Church doesn't have planes with that range and Arctican airlines stopped doing commercial flights to NZ since the civil war started.

IC: Moretti, dressed in some unassuming civilian clothes but not trying to hide his identity in the least, made his way through the terminal at the Promised Land airport. As he went through the required security checks, he was perfectly composed and collected. His mind, however, was a storm of worries, wondering if Zrinko had broken yet, half-expecting to be surrounded by armed men. If he could get on the plane before his assassin squealed and be in NZ airspace by the time the word got out, he might just be safe.

Moretti felt no relief even as he was beginning to board the plane; he knew that at any moment he could be stopped...and really he was helpless to do anything about it. This was his last chance, and if it failed, he was going to have to answer to some very angry people.

IC: The HMS Gorgo is lying five miles off the south east tip of the Hanseatic Commonwealth, along with the HMS Hedora. The two aircraft carriers are amongst the newest in the Royal Navy. They are taking it easy when the call comes in. It is an order to scramble all fighters and interceptors to hunt down a plane of a confirmed enemy of the people. Within five minutes, the SF-20 Dragon fighters and SI-22 Tiapan interceptors have their Atari Q-13 SkyHawk missles loaded on board. The flyers know that whoever it is, it is NOT a social call.

On Marbella Island's Air Force Base, the Commandant receive a call from General Barrett herself. She is ordering a scramble of the Air Force's SI-27 SunBird Interceptors and SF-28 Sauron fighters to scramble in the air. They are given the direct order to not fire at the plane until it passes the tip of Taiwan and into open waters. They will uses the Carrier HMS Hahn for support. The chase is now on to nail Cardinal Moretti, enemy of the People, enemy of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Their orders: Shoot down Moretti's jet.

Meanwhile, the plans to take the Assassin back to Minilla Island for trial is about to get interesting.

OOC: Yes, it was chartered for him since the Church doesn't have planes with that range and Arctican airlines stopped doing commercial flights to NZ since the civil war started.

IC: Moretti, dressed in some unassuming civilian clothes but not trying to hide his identity in the least, made his way through the terminal at the Promised Land airport. As he went through the required security checks, he was perfectly composed and collected. His mind, however, was a storm of worries, wondering if Zrinko had broken yet, half-expecting to be surrounded by armed men. If he could get on the plane before his assassin squealed and be in NZ airspace by the time the word got out, he might just be safe.

Moretti felt no relief even as he was beginning to board the plane; he knew that at any moment he could be stopped...and really he was helpless to do anything about it. This was his last chance, and if it failed, he was going to have to answer to some very angry people.

The Cardinal was already on the plane before the guard could react, and it was already prepared to take off. He tried to get the air-traffic controller's attention to stop the plane before it took off, but his heart fell when he arrived...it was just lifting off. Dejectedly, he told the ATC that the plane carried the man wanted for the first assassination attempt on the now-deseased pope.

The plane would be tracked via radar as long as they could keep it in sight.

----

Twenty minutes later, the nearest airfield got the order to scramble two fighters and intercept the private aircraft--they would be within radio range of the craft within another thirty minutes, just before they left Promised Land airspace. The lead fighter in the pair transmitted a message to the pilot.

"Private Flight Sierra Sierra Tango Yankee Zulu Niner, you are carrying a wanted criminal. Please reverse course and return to the airfield. Over."

OOC: Hope you don't mind me giving the plane's designation like that. :)

IC: The HMS Gorgo is lying five miles off the south east tip of the Hanseatic Commonwealth, along with the HMS Hedora. The two aircraft carriers are amongst the newest in the Royal Navy. They are taking it easy when the call comes in. It is an order to scramble all fighters and interceptors to hunt down a plane of a confirmed enemy of the people. Within five minutes, the SF-20 Dragon fighters and SI-22 Tiapan interceptors have their Atari Q-13 SkyHawk missles loaded on board. The flyers know that whoever it is, it is NOT a social call.

On Marbella Island's Air Force Base, the Commandant receive a call from General Barrett herself. She is ordering a scramble of the Air Force's SI-27 SunBird Interceptors and SF-28 Sauron fighters to scramble in the air. They are given the direct order to not fire at the plane until it passes the tip of Taiwan and into open waters. They will uses the Carrier HMS Hahn for support. The chase is now on to nail Cardinal Moretti, enemy of the People, enemy of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Their orders: Shoot down Moretti's jet.

Meanwhile, the plans to take the Assassin back to Minilla Island for trial is about to get interesting.

The plans to get the assassin would be complicated by the fact that not only was the man in New England, but that both Church guards and the team of half-a-dozen interrogators were watching him.

The Cardinals opened the door only to find that the interrogation was still ongoing, so they summoned one of the ivestigators out of the room. "Have you found anything yet?"

"The man behind the attack was Cardinal Gino Moretti from Arctica--if there is a good picture available, I suggest you send it to law enforcement agencies across the globe. My government should be getting the photo now."

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

"Moretti, Moretti," the Cardinal muttered. "I don't believe we have a Cardinal Moretti. You said he was from Artica? The Church got banned in Artica in support of Antipope Bubba. And what about the Green Flag? They made a claim about this."

OOC: SSTYZ9? What's wrong with that designation?

"Moretti, Moretti," the Cardinal muttered. "I don't believe we have a Cardinal Moretti. You said he was from Artica? The Church got banned in Artica in support of Antipope Bubba. And what about the Green Flag? They made a claim about this."

OOC: SSTYZ9? What's wrong with that designation?

"If the Green Flag was involved in this, I don't think this man knows about it. Though the Cardinal, wherever he is, might know."

OOC: Nothing. It's just the fact that it's his plane, and I chose the designation. :)

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

In the skies on the open water, four Dragon fighters and 4 Tiapan interceptors are in a hunting formation. The squadron leader, Lt. Col LASER Derek Henning, clips on his dual radio. He hears on the radio the following:

"Private Flight Sierra Sierra Tango Yankee Zulu Niner, you are carrying a wanted criminal. Please reverse course and return to the airfield. Over."

Henning would think to himself, "That must be our man in that plane."

Henning then radios over the secure channel back to the HMS Gorgo, "We have a sighting over the air of the target. As per orders, we will head to the outskirts of PL airspace as per order."

The Commander of the Gorgo, Lnc. Admiral LASER Silvana Clutario, takes the fax from the board while copying the message from the squad leader. "Maintain course. That plane is to be shot down. " Clutario then reads the fax, which is an order from the Sea Marshal Louis Corradi. The Fax reads:

By order of His Royal Highness, King Raymond II, the plane carrying the Papal assassination conspirator, Cardinal Moretti, is to be shot from the sky. There is to be no trace of him. GKCHMC, SM LASER Corradi.

Clutario's eyes widen, "CARDINAL Moretti?!? My God! Against the Holy Father?!?" she shouts. Clutario goes back over the secure channel to her Squad Leader: "Orange Squadron, find that plane and eliminate it. That is all."

Fortunately, Cardinal Zenigma was onboard the Gorgo with Clutario. When he heard Clutario give the order, he jumped in and ordered Orange Squadron, "By order of His Holiness Pope John Paul III, you are not to shoot down that plane! Repeat, do not take down the carrier!"

He knew, as he said this, that problems between the Church and Minilla Island would start to falter. But, he concluded, it was for a just reason.

In a driving New England rain, a taxi cab pulls to the gates of the prison where the Assassin is being held. Out of the car comes out a beautiful woman, with two females in tow. The guards that are outside the prison complex have their jaws drop when she appears. She walks to the gates with her briefcase in hand.

-

Woman: Greetings.

-

the guards at the gate are stammering looking at this beautiful woman who appeared before them. Then, he seemed to regain some composure.

-

Guard: Um..Um..um...H-how c-can I help y-you.

-

The woman smiles at the guard.

-

Woman: I am Dr. Christina Marasco. I am the Psychiatrist assigned by the Promised Land Government to see if Mr. Popic is fit for trial. These are my assistants, Dr. Morelli and Dr. Hagen. Here are my credentials from Promised Land, with the needed paperwork from New England. In there you will also find.....

-

The Guard looks at the two women with Dr. Marasco, and starts shaking.

-

Guard: That is fine, Ma'am. (shouts in the horn) Open the gates. Medical coming through.

-

Dr. Marasco and her staff smiles at the guard.

-

Marasco: Why, thank you.

-

Marasco then passes by laying her hand on the guard's cheek. The other two ladies follow suit. The guard is mesmerized by the ladies stunning beauty as they walk into the prison. As the ladies walk in, the Guards look at them in awe. Some of the prisoners start whistling and cheering as the ladies go through the yard to the main building.

Oh, but what little the guards know. They did not know what they let in was snake that goes around the medical staff. As the good doctor is Col. LASER Christina Marasco, MD of the Minilla Island Army Medical Corps and psych torture coordinator for the LASER Academy. Her assistants? Lt. LASER Stephanie Morelli MD of the Medical Corps and Lead Interrogator in the LASER Academy. The other woman is Lt. LASER Paula Hagen of Military Security of the Minilla Island Army. These three women have only one goal in mind: Bring Popic back to justice or die trying. Each woman left their Last Will and Testament before embarking on this mission. Each knew once they became LASERs, they signed their own death warrants that could be cashed in at any time. They also knew that becoming a LASER was a major step up in the Minilla Island social order from their humble beginnings. They knew the risks. Now, they are going to go bag the Papal Assassin.

The ladies walk to the Warden's Office with paperwork in hand. The mission has begun.

The only people on the plane were the pilot, copilot, the other cockpit crewmember, a stewardess, and Moretti, who was sitting in the first class cabin near the cockpit. It took a lot of money to charter a huge passenger airliner like this; he had used his own personal funds as well as the church's money to do it. He was nervous the entire flight, and would check in with the pilots regularly to see if there were any problems.

The crew was, of course, not informed of his criminal status. They thought it was odd - and were somewhat annoyed - that he kept asking for updates, but did not suspect anything. Moretti stood up and began to pace the aisle, thinking to himself when he felt the airplane begin to turn. He burst into the cockpit. "What's happening?! What are you doing?"

"Promised Land interceptors are approaching. You're a wanted criminal, we've been ordered to land."

"No! Keep going! We're almost out of their airspace!"

"It's airline policy to obey- whoa!" The pilot had to turn sharply, tilting the plane and slamming Moretti against a wall. He slumped to the floor, temporarily immobilized by the impact on his old body. "We just got 8 signatures on the radar, approaching fast!"

Moretti's eyes widened as he frantically searched for a handhold to pull himself up. "No!" he sputtered, thinking who could this be, why there were eight blips, whether they wanted to kill him...the plane continued its turn back into Promised Land. The pilot reported to the Promised Land interceptors that he was complying with their orders. Moretti had given up on trying to find a handhold and was simply sitting on the floor of the cockpit, head hung. His gamble had failed.

Fortunately, Cardinal Zenigma was onboard the Gorgo with Clutario. When he heard Clutario give the order, he jumped in and ordered Orange Squadron, "By order of His Holiness Pope John Paul III, you are not to shoot down that plane! Repeat, do not take down the carrier!"

He knew, as he said this, that problems between the Church and Minilla Island would start to falter. But, he concluded, it was for a just reason.

Clutario is stunned at the recent event by Cardinal Zenigma. She knows that the Holy Father is dead. However, she also knows that order has to come from the King himself. Cardinal Zenigma also forgot that for him to give that order, the recipient must know he is a Priest of God. She undertands that. Those guys in the plane don't. Clutario gets back on the com.

-

Clutario: Orange Squadron, that was Cardinal Zenigma on the Com. He is confirmed. However, you know the rules. Continue on the orders outlined.

-

Henning, wondering where the confusion was, radioed back.

-

Henning: That's a roger. Mission to continue.

-

Clutario turns to the Cardinal.

-

Clutario: Your Eminence, you and I both know our ways.

-

She hands Zenigma the hot line phone.

-

Clutario: We'll contact Cardinal Neidhart, he will go to the King. If the King gives the order, I will call them back. However, until then, Cardinal Moretti is an enemy of the people and the Church. (tears welling in her eyes) He had our Holy Father murdered in cold blood. We cannot, and will not, let that go unpunished.

-

Both of them go on the dual hot line to contact the good Cardinal.

In a driving New England rain, a taxi cab pulls to the gates of the prison where the Assassin is being held. Out of the car comes out a beautiful woman, with two females in tow. The guards that are outside the prison complex have their jaws drop when she appears. She walks to the gates with her briefcase in hand.

-

Woman: Greetings.

-

the guards at the gate are stammering looking at this beautiful woman who appeared before them. Then, he seemed to regain some composure.

-

Guard: Um..Um..um...H-how c-can I help y-you.

-

The woman smiles at the guard.

-

Woman: I am Dr. Christina Marasco. I am the Psychiatrist assigned by the Promised Land Government to see if Mr. Popic is fit for trial. These are my assistants, Dr. Morelli and Dr. Hagen. Here are my credentials from Promised Land, with the needed paperwork from New England. In there you will also find.....

-

The Guard looks at the two women with Dr. Marasco, and starts shaking.

-

Guard: That is fine, Ma'am. (shouts in the horn) Open the gates. Medical coming through.

-

Dr. Marasco and her staff smiles at the guard.

-

Marasco: Why, thank you.

-

Marasco then passes by laying her hand on the guard's cheek. The other two ladies follow suit. The guard is mesmerized by the ladies stunning beauty as they walk into the prison. As the ladies walk in, the Guards look at them in awe. Some of the prisoners start whistling and cheering as the ladies go through the yard to the main building.

Oh, but what little the guards know. They did not know what they let in was snake that goes around the medical staff. As the good doctor is Col. LASER Christina Marasco, MD of the Minilla Island Army Medical Corps and psych torture coordinator for the LASER Academy. Her assistants? Lt. LASER Stephanie Morelli MD of the Medical Corps and Lead Interrogator in the LASER Academy. The other woman is Lt. LASER Paula Hagen of Military Security of the Minilla Island Army. These three women have only one goal in mind: Bring Popic back to justice or die trying. Each woman left their Last Will and Testament before embarking on this mission. Each knew once they became LASERs, they signed their own death warrants that could be cashed in at any time. They also knew that becoming a LASER was a major step up in the Minilla Island social order from their humble beginnings. They knew the risks. Now, they are going to go bag the Papal Assassin.

The ladies walk to the Warden's Office with paperwork in hand. The mission has begun.

The interrogators, currently having nothing else to do, were still guarding the prisoner, no longer questioning him, but keeping an eye on him in case he wanted to say anything else.

The only people on the plane were the pilot, copilot, the other cockpit crewmember, a stewardess, and Moretti, who was sitting in the first class cabin near the cockpit. It took a lot of money to charter a huge passenger airliner like this; he had used his own personal funds as well as the church's money to do it. He was nervous the entire flight, and would check in with the pilots regularly to see if there were any problems.

The crew was, of course, not informed of his criminal status. They thought it was odd - and were somewhat annoyed - that he kept asking for updates, but did not suspect anything. Moretti stood up and began to pace the aisle, thinking to himself when he felt the airplane begin to turn. He burst into the cockpit. "What's happening?! What are you doing?"

"Promised Land interceptors are approaching. You're a wanted criminal, we've been ordered to land."

"No! Keep going! We're almost out of their airspace!"

"It's airline policy to obey- whoa!" The pilot had to turn sharply, tilting the plane and slamming Moretti against a wall. He slumped to the floor, temporarily immobilized by the impact on his old body. "We just got 8 signatures on the radar, approaching fast!"

Moretti's eyes widened as he frantically searched for a handhold to pull himself up. "No!" he sputtered, thinking who could this be, why there were eight blips, whether they wanted to kill him...the plane continued its turn back into Promised Land. The pilot reported to the Promised Land interceptors that he was complying with their orders. Moretti had given up on trying to find a handhold and was simply sitting on the floor of the cockpit, head hung. His gamble had failed.

"Roger, thank you for your compliance."

On an internal, scrambled frequency, the other plane transmitted to he first. "Sir, I've got eight blips approaching from another direction.

The lead pilot first transmitted a request for back-up to the nearest base, then ordered the other to continue escorting the chartered craft.

Clutario is stunned at the recent event by Cardinal Zenigma. She knows that the Holy Father is dead. However, she also knows that order has to come from the King himself. Cardinal Zenigma also forgot that for him to give that order, the recipient must know he is a Priest of God. She undertands that. Those guys in the plane don't. Clutario gets back on the com.

-

Clutario: Orange Squadron, that was Cardinal Zenigma on the Com. He is confirmed. However, you know the rules. Continue on the orders outlined.

-

-

-

-

-

-

Clutario: We'll contact Cardinal Neidhart, he will go to the King. If the King gives the order, I will call them back. However, until then, Cardinal Moretti is an enemy of the people and the Church. (tears welling in her eyes) He had our Holy Father murdered in cold blood. We cannot, and will not, let that go unpunished.

-

In the open, the lead aircraft transmitted to the incoming fighters.

"You are intruding on Promised Land Airspace. Please identify yourselves and state your purpose."

OOC: I will be going away for a family emergency. I will be back on Friday to pick this up.

OOC: OK, you take what time you need.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

"MI hotline, this is Neidhart."

"It's Zenigma, I'm with Clutario. I've just tried to cancel an order from the king to terminate a suspect under Bull IPTIII3. We need you to talk to His Royal Highness about this."

"Got it."

Minutes later, the Cardinal arrived at the King's Residence, showed the guards there official documents allowing his entry, and rushed into the dining hall where the Roayl Family was having a peaceful lunch.

"Your Royal Highness, this is urgent!" Pulling the King aside, the Cardinal said, "A Catholic official just tried to abort an order given by you to terminate those involved in trying to assassinate the Pope. Now before you make a decision to keep this, first let me share with you this: firstly, the suspect has not been put under trial, so we don't know if he's guilty or not. Secondly, You pledged allegiance to the Church, which may put representatives of the Church such as myself above you. Thirdly, the Church is strictly against capital punishment. Fourthly, the suspect committed no crime in your country, so therefore it is our responsibility. Fifthly, the late Pope issued a bull not to kill those guilty. Disobeying the Pope after pledging allegiance risks excommunication from the Church, depending on what exactly was ignored. Please choose wisely, Your Highness."

OOC: Alright, hope everything goes well. Too bad you'll miss the funeral though.