Buryatia calls Asian Summit in Yakutsk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vincent then put on his headset, adjusted it, and then read the agenda. No environmental issues? Maybe I can do what I did with Normandie. He leaned forward into the microphone, and asked, "Would we also be discussing the issue of environmental care? Something to reduce carbon emissions from each nation?"

Foreign Minister Onatopp listened quietly to the Representative of Austervania before responding:

“There is certainly room to discuss environmental issues and the reduction of carbon emissions in the Asian region. As such, if there are no objections to a discussion on environmental matters then we will add it to the meeting agenda”

Once the other Representatives arrived and took their places, Dr. Onatopp decided to start the conference:

“Ladies and Gentlemen, as the majority of nations who indicated their desire to attend this summit have arrived we can now get underway. There are several items on the agenda, so we have decided to structure the meeting in such a way to ensure time is available for all representatives to state their positions and propose amendments. As the chair of the conference, we will introduce each agenda item along with a short statement of our position on the item after which each nation present will be given ample time to state their positions, propose changes, revisions and suggestions and so on. Once there is a consensus between the representatives then we will proceed to the next agenda item.

The first item on the agenda is the political and economic stability of the Asian region. It has been our experience that, for the most part, governments in Asia are relatively stable, but we are unable to make a full assessment of each individual nation’s government or political situation. We hope that we will be able to agree to the formulation of a network of Non Aggression pacts between the nations represented here under the umbrella of a new organization to be known as the “Asian Union”. This proposed union is, in our view a significant step towards political stability in Asia as the union would include pacts of Non Aggression as a condition of membership.

We envision this proposed union to be primarily economic in nature and structured in such a way so that nations in the Union will have reduced or eliminated tariffs on goods and services moved within the member nations of the Union. This would, in our view help to improve the competitiveness of the Asian economies and allow us to further advance our own individual economies. Several aspects of this proposal will be discussed at this summit.

At this time, I invite the input of those present here on the economic portion of the proposed Asian Union.”-FM Onatopp

Foreign Minister Onatopp switched off her microphone and waited with a notepad in front of her, for another nation to offer their views on the matter.

Vladimir Sarandov, owner of Shif Shipping, took the microphone.

I am probably the person with the most knowledge of international transportation in my country. I also satisfy shipping needs for arguably one of the poorest nations on the continent, if not the poorest. I can be reasonably sure that my country (and my business) will thrive in an era of low taxes and tariffs. Marscurian Pakistan already has virtually zero tariffs because imports far outweigh exports. I mean, our trade deficit is bigger than my ex-wife, may she rest in peace. While many countries may view the removal of tariffs to be inviting cheaper exports and the loss of jobs, I remind you, there are always national champions.

photos-from-lord-of-war.jpg

Vladimir, on the right, is seen here inspecting a cargo shipment of weapons, Marscurian Pakisan's largest export.

Vincent looked down at his phone for a minute while he typed a long message to Erik. After a few seconds, another message came back. Vincent read it a few times over, nodded, and wrote some notes down in his notebook. He then leaned into the microphone and said, "An economic union would be great for Austervania, however we must express our opposition to outsourcing. It does nothing but harm, unless the two nations are very close on an economic level. Decreased tariffs on foreign good would also be alright, although most of what we need we either grow or make ourselves. Military equipment is the only thing we have trouble making, as we are using slightly outdated, but still effective equipment."

After listening to the diplomat from Austervania and immediately noted it down in his book-

Items needed for countries-

Country Name Item Needed

Austervania Military Equipment

Rorschach immediately spoke into the micro-phone after that-

Our sentiments are more or less the same of Austervania. Our military while not bad, is not the best and could be much better. We also have slight problem with food and water as we have been having drought in PRC for two consecutive years and it is finally catching on with the surplus of food in PRC. Also I was updated by my second in command about a recent attack on the Khmer government by the Dragon Empire and wonder how they wish to work for unity when it seems their diplomacy is based solely on firepower."

The Elective Dictatorship of Palintine is hesitant to sign into an economic agreement that promotes the abolishment of tarriffs. We are currently in a deep recession (although we're showing signs of growth), and job losses due to foreign competition would hurt us more than anything else at the moment.

Another present businessman, Usman Bhatti, director of sales and exports for Marscurian Military Works, heard all the camotion.

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, if weapons are what you desire, why don't you help out the Marscurian Military Works group? We can supply you with all your weapons needs. Here, take a look at our brochures and our catalogues." He took the booklets out of his briefcase and passed them around for everyone to see.

OOC: If you want to know the products, just look in the Military section of my factbook :awesome:

Evangeline coughed deliberately. "If we could get off the topics of out-dated weapons for a moment. The Hansa, has been exploring economic options for some time now. Trade rights and so on and so forth. Lady Tintagyl has always been a firm believer in lower tariffs, therein bringing countries closer together. But we realize that perhaps creating a no tariff zone would be disastrous to some economies, especially the Palintinian market which in recent times has been suffering. What I would suggest, besides the creation of an economic union or of reducing or destroying tariffs is focusing on improving Asian infrastructure across the board. Building rail, road, canal systems across the continent, linking our countries closer together."

"Trade will flow more freely, our work forces will be intertwined, and we will establish a common brotherhood. Which considering recent events, is something this continent desperately needs. In addition, with the reduction of tarrifs, I would propose a stipend for economies who are still weak from the recent depression so they could integrate into the Asian and Global economy faster again."

The Empire representative spoke up. "The Economy of the Dragon Empire is diverse and expansive. Most of us strongly believe in the power of free and open markets. I would not mind seeing resolution written up that presents a free trade and co-operation zone which encompasses Asia where tariffs and quotas are strictly prohibited among the member states. It would be something I am certain the Legislature would give strong consideration."

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

The Empire representative spoke up. "The Economy of the Dragon Empire is diverse and expansive. Most of us strongly believe in the power of free and open markets. I would not mind seeing resolution written up that presents a free trade and co-operation zone which encompasses Asia where tariffs and quotas are strictly prohibited among the member states. It would be something I am certain the Legislature would give strong consideration."

Antonio Pilar replied, "Judging by the few opinions on removing tariffs expressed so far, there will certainly be strong discussion. Perhaps we could agree on a zone of significantly lowered tariffs rather than their complete elimination. To those who oppose the elimination of tariffs, keep in mind that an agreement would have no impact on how you tax imports from non-asian nations."

Antonio Pilar replied, "Judging by the few opinions on removing tariffs expressed so far, there will certainly be strong discussion. Perhaps we could agree on a zone of significantly lowered tariffs rather than their complete elimination. To those who oppose the elimination of tariffs, keep in mind that an agreement would have no impact on how you tax imports from non-asian nations."

Asian nations are currently the biggest consumer of our two most important products: livestock and wine. Our wine industry nearly collapsed entirely with the Palintinian Winery Alliance filing for bankruptcy, and the decision by then-CEO to slash standards due to high ingredient prices has only made foreign sales worse. Until the situation is able to be rectified (OOC: Until my nation-strength rises), we cannot afford to hurt the industry any more than it is.

"Since it appears that we are not entirely agreed on the abolition of tariffs, perhaps we could begin by simply reducing the tariffs significantly to promote additional trade. We would also wish to see terms to encourage members of the proposed union to import goods and materials from other union members rather than from non-union nations provided that their are set standards. We welcome your thoughts on this."

"We submit the following draft text for consideration"

Economic Co-operation

All members of the Asian Union shall be a part of either the Asian Economic Zone (AEZ) or the Asian Free Trade Zone (AFTZ). Whenever a member nation is able to provide goods and services of appropriate quality and quantity at a reasonable price, other member nations are encouraged, but by no means required, to purchase those goods within the Asian Union

1:Asian Economic Zone (AEZ)

Members of the Asian Union who choose to join the Asian Economic Zone (AEZ) shall make a meaningful reduction of tariffs levied on goods from other AEZ member nations. Goods transported through the AEZ from one member to another must be of a particular mutually agreed upon standard.

2:Asian Free Trade Zone (AFTZ)

Members of the Asian Union who choose to join the Asian Free Trade Zone (AFTZ) shall eliminate all tariffs on goods and services from other AFTZ member nations. Goods transported through the AFTZ from one member nation to another must be of a mutually agreed upon standard.

Should a nation who is a member of the AFTZ transfer any goods or services to a nation who is only a member of the AEZ, then the transaction will be treated as an exchange of goods between two AEZ nations.

"We invite input on the text, as well as suggestions of possible changes and amendments. We are also prepared to discus the possibility of an exemption to the above clauses in the case of Palintine."

"We invite input on the text, as well as suggestions of possible changes and amendments. We are also prepared to discus the possibility of an exemption to the above clauses in the case of Palintine."

These terms appear agreeable, although we will be signing on the AEZ level.

Edited by iKrolm

"We are interested in signing the AEZ but will go no less then 10% reduction on tariffs. "

"Tariff reduction percentages have yet to be discussed. Your stance on that matter has been noted."

===

The Foreign Minister glanced at her notes before continuing:

"While it appears that there is a general consensus regarding the Economic aspect of the Asian Union, we wait for the response of Palintine before we put the draft to a vote. Until that point, we will move on to the next item on the agenda which is how to confront expansionism in Asia. We seek to reach an agreement on how to halt or restrict needless expansionism in Asia by nations both inside and outside of the proposed Asian Union.

Is the solution to impose economic restrictions, or is the solution to create a political framework under the Asian Union treaty that would create an avenue for reaching a common agreement to confront expansion in a united manner? While we note that some people may believe that the only counter to expansionism is military force, we do not believe this. We feel that a united Asia would allow us to have a stronger hand to use the tools available to us, namely diplomacy. economic restrictions, political pressure, and as a last resort military force. We will state that it will be up to all members of the Asian Union to determine how to proceed when faced with expansionism, but the Asian Union treaty will not have a provision requiring Asian Union members to go to war against expansionism. Such a provision would be extremely dangerous.

Once again, I welcome your input on this."