OOC Comments

Sumeragi

Note to Spock: This is aimed at all RPers, not just CNRPers

When comparing RPs from about six months ago, I noticed that OOC comments (as opposed to OOC whining/tackling) has become a lot fewer recently.

I'll admit, I'm one to love lots of comments on what I write, and this trend is 'disturbing' to me. Is it just a lack of comments, bad writing, or just tring to be respectful?

Anyone have any ideas?

I'll admit, I'm one to love lots of comments on what I write, and this trend is 'disturbing' to me. Is it just a lack of comments, bad writing, or just tring to be respectful?

Same here, I can't tell if my RPing is decent, horrible, or it is just that no one wants to comment my RPing.

EDIT: In fact, several times I was tempted to end my RPing of the TUO's and it's rivals' face palming failures because I felt that no one was interested in it.

Edited by HHAYD

I don't see the problem. People comment if they want to, I personally do not OOC comment on threads unless I have a problem with it. If I can't comment IC-wise then I just read the story and leave. If its really good I'll respond at the end possibly, but I'm not going to OOC for every post. I wouldn't worry about it and just keep writing. Write for yourself and if people want to comment then they will, but write for the art of writing, not for promised comments or anything. Also, there's always the "who's reading" thing at the bottom of the screen.

If your becoming that dependent on the popularity of your RP's, then make it a poll thread as well; just put the title "Do you like this roleplay thread?" with the options "Pure Awesome", "Yes", "Sorta" or "Meh" or "50/50", "No", and "No Opinion". Then your thread does not get cluttered by any OOC posts while allowing people to voice their opinion.

I think part of the reason people don;t respon OOC'ly as much any more is because they're intimidated by people like LVN (no offense meant). If you do not mind OOC comments, or actually wish to encourage them in your Rp's, make a note of it in the OP (Original Post) of the appropiate threads. That way people will know you aren't bothered by the comments.

I don't mind OOC comments so long as it's not something like "lol cool." There has recently become a stronger attitude against off-topic OOC babbling in threads, which some people might interpret as an attitude against OOC comments in general, so that might be it.

So we've noticed... :D
What's that supposed to mean? )):
He means he noticed that you don't OOC comment because you don't OOC comment. ^_^

Well, Jed, you've explained it pretty well. ;) Here, have a cookie.

I don't mind OOC comments so long as it's not something like "lol cool." There has recently become a stronger attitude against off-topic OOC babbling in threads, which some people might interpret as an attitude against OOC comments in general, so that might be it.

Yes, that no doubt has a lot to do with it.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

I think its better this way, although in other sense, I simply cannot stand posts such as this:

The Nation/Ruler XXXX

Condemns/condones this move

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

(Typical body of an announcment, ie: moves X amounts of troops

here, sends such and such here, etc...)

These are RP's, not chess moves! I mean, seriously try to add a sense

of theatrics! Make it interesting for the reader to read! Fluffed up and

fleshed-out posts, although longer, are much better contributions to

threads IMVHO

These are RP's, not chess moves! I mean, seriously try to add a sense

of theatrics! Make it interesting for the reader to read! Fluffed up and

fleshed-out posts, although longer, are much better contributions to

threads IMVHO

EM...exactly...I couldn't agree more and to be honest I make tons of posts of saying. I'm interested in what's going on. Just put two characters in a room together and have them either agree or talk.

As far as I am concerned, posting that you like a character RP or that something is interesting, or that you're watching something, or that you have no comment on something, is simply a way to get your post count up and should be reported as spam, mostly because I don't really think anyone cares that you're watching a situation with interest.

If you're that dependent on the popularity of your RP's, then do what Jerryrough suggested.

I am with LVN on this issue.

EM...exactly...I couldn't agree more and to be honest I make tons of posts of saying. I'm interested in what's going on. Just put two characters in a room together and have them either agree or talk.

That suggestion is what I try to do when I have something i want to say but need to flesh it out a little bit.

As far as I am concerned, posting that you like a character RP or that something is interesting, or that you're watching something, or that you have no comment on something, is simply a way to get your post count up and should be reported as spam, mostly because I don't really think anyone cares that you're watching a situation with interest.

If you're that dependent on the popularity of your RP's, then do what Jerryrough suggested.

I am with LVN on this issue.

Even if, for example, it's something like Sarah suggested? You never know WHAT might potentially advance the RP's you currently have going.

In what way would a comment like this, "OOC: ooh I can't wait for the end! :popcorn: " advance an RP?

Not like that Merger...http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=59654&view=findpost&p=1590025

Its not saying much...but at the very least its saying you're paying attention.

Not like that Merger...http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=59654&view=findpost&p=1590025

Its not saying much...but at the very least its saying you're paying attention.

The problem arises when people make five word comments or say things OOC. Something like that, I would agree, may actually be helpful, however rarely do people other than yourself actually do something like that. I find that there are far more people who favor one line comments saying that their nation is watching something. In reality, would any nation really make a statement like that? I try and run a nation the way that I might run an actual nation (policies and things of that sort are not included... I would never run a nation so oppressive), and I really find one line posts despicable and they tend to make a mockery of those whom actually try and RP.

The problem arises when people make five word comments or say things OOC. Something like that, I would agree, may actually be helpful, however rarely do people other than yourself actually do something like that. I find that there are far more people who favor one line comments saying that their nation is watching something. In reality, would any nation really make a statement like that? I try and run a nation the way that I might run an actual nation (policies and things of that sort are not included... I would never run a nation so oppressive), and I really find one line posts despicable and they tend to make a mockery of those whom actually try and RP.

But you have to remember that everyone has different RP styles...you and I tend to make longer posts, while others desire a more straightforward one-liner. Sure it would be nice to see more time done, but writing is not easy, it is an art that is crafted with much time and constant improvement and while this is a writing forum, its a game as well. For someone that might not be a great writer, but who still want to participate, a one liner makes them feel that, yes, I am in this game.

I doubt it would stop, but my only statement would have to be...guys just maybe try to elaborate on your 'interest' posts. There's much more creativity to be found inside there than just a few words. :)

But you have to remember that everyone has different RP styles...you and I tend to make longer posts, while others desire a more straightforward one-liner. Sure it would be nice to see more time done, but writing is not easy, it is an art that is crafted with much time and constant improvement and while this is a writing forum, its a game as well. For someone that might not be a great writer, but who still want to participate, a one liner makes them feel that, yes, I am in this game.

I doubt it would stop, but my only statement would have to be...guys just maybe try to elaborate on your 'interest' posts. There's much more creativity to be found inside there than just a few words. :)

That is all I ask in this case.