Proposal: More realisitic tech sharing

Uberstein

In real life, "tech sharing" isn't like how we do it here in CNRP. It isn't just improving your nation completely. In real life, it's more of equipment loans and such. Even WWII Germany and Japan didn't "Tech share" like we do here, it was mostly just sending over jet engines and the like and hoping the Japanese could adapt them for themselves. The USSR sold tanks to Iraq, the US in WWII had the lend-lease program.

Tech sharing should be improving an entire country just because we write a single line about it, we should be RPing the selling of equipment, supplies, and support to other countries. It doesn't make sense logically for a nation to be getting all it's technology from another nation and still able to mass produce it itself.

Suggestions?

What, tech sharing requires documented RP? YES!

Also, a linear tech scale would be a good thing. And, would the tech share be a raise of effective tech level, or just a single component after a detailed and good RP?

A linear tech scale? When you were the one that came up with the current formula?

Anyway, I'll be fine with whatever you decide, though personally, just a rise in the effective level of the specific piece of technology shared does seem more realistic.

A linear tech scale? When you were the one that came up with the current formula?

Anyway, I'll be fine with whatever you decide, though personally, just a rise in the effective level of the specific piece of technology shared does seem more realistic.

Well, its seems now everyman and his dog have post present tech, and every man and his dog complain about it. A linear tech scale would almost totally remove any "hurr, my teck is stronga..." while forcing people to realise, no, we can't all have nice things. What is 1000 tech these days? Almost nothing. Some people out here have 3k, 4k, 5k tech. The log scale was not meant for lots of people over 3k when i made it. A simple scale, basically, one year per 100 tech starting at 1950 would be best. Even at 6k tech, its only 2010. No future tech guessing. People would have to actually role play.

And yes, with the new linear thing, I would support people gaining one specific item after going through a nice and detailed roleplay without spamming it needlessly.

I wasn't asking for a linear tech scale, I was asking that we have people instead of tech share, have to do stuff like RL, where you sell equipment and such.

We already have a GDP formla, so it's easy to see how many they can buy.

Yes, that would be lovely. I am just saying it would work well with a linear scale too.

Here's what I was thinking. With the tech sharing, you get the technology, and then reverse engineer it. This explains why you don't get the partner's actual tech level, but what ever tech you get from our fun little formula.

Yes. They give you the toys, but you have to figure out how to use them.

Which is why the original formula works fine, and doesn't need changing. Perhaps if you had to RP all the tech changes, we could make this more realistic.

The RP is needed, and it turns out to be only for a single item, not an entire national tech level increase.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that tech sharing should only be limited to a few items. No country in their right mind would trust all of their technology to a younger nation. Furthermore, this clashes with the "decay" treatment we used to give ships - if someone gave a ship of higher tech, it would eventually decay and maintenance would be impossible. The "decay" treatment also went to planes.

I'd say that if anything, tech sharing should almost be gone with. Countries can share planes and have standardized equipment, but in the end each country is different and tech sharing by itself on a national, country-wide scale is an unfair advantage to several other players.

Let's not forget that these are usually poorly RP'd..

I think that tech sharing should only be limited to a few items. No country in their right mind would trust all of their technology to a younger nation. Furthermore, this clashes with the "decay" treatment we used to give ships - if someone gave a ship of higher tech, it would eventually decay and maintenance would be impossible. The "decay" treatment also went to planes.

I'd say that if anything, tech sharing should almost be gone with. Countries can share planes and have standardized equipment, but in the end each country is different and tech sharing by itself on a national, country-wide scale is an unfair advantage to several other players.

Let's not forget that these are usually poorly RP'd..

I fully support this, no tech sharing should be allowed. You can sell units, but they will be at the unaltered base tech level of the receiving nation. If features have to be taken off the make that level, then they will be.

This would allow for a more advanced nation to sell to more than one, no? If I want a few tanks from someone is that going to stop them from giving to others?

Exactly, but now that we have 3 active GM's, and I am personally looking out for issues myself, I think we could easily get by without many issues. People need to be reasonable.

This would allow for a more advanced nation to sell to more than one, no? If I want a few tanks from someone is that going to stop them from giving to others?

Nothing, however, they would be tanks with equipment and features correct for your tech level. So not the same tanks as they are using.

Nothing, however, they would be tanks with equipment and features correct for your tech level. So not the same tanks as they are using.

So they are giving me tanks I already have, or more advanced tanks?

The United States sold Iran fighter jets, as long as maintenance is provided, they still work.

Though, that should cut into what your nation can support. You can't just hand out 200 tanks w/ maintenance while having a 200 tank limit, and then have 200 tanks yourself.

Getting rid of tech sharing altogether is a horrible idea.

Though I do agree we should have tech trading be RP'd properly: doing a tech share should not be a blanket thing, getting the tech share should be RPd a lot better and THEN when you get the tech share done you should need to RP developing anything new that you may want to use in your nation...so that instead of being a "generic lol upgrade" sharing tech simply means that your R&D department gets a boost - but if you don't RP the improvement, you still don't get it.

At the very least we should allow tech sharing in the form of the high tech nation simply exporting high tech goods to another nation, like computers. Or in the case of weaponry, exporting tanks - Kind of like in the cold war - though the tanks should then be as good for the smaller nations as for the original maker nation. That'd be another variant in which essentially a tech share deal is not an actual tech share deal but a formal trade agreement.

The key is that it all should be RPed better. But getting rid of it altogether would be bad. Tech sharing is the only thing more or less similar to economic interaction that is sustainable in CNRP.

Though, that should cut into what your nation can support. You can't just hand out 200 tanks w/ maintenance while having a 200 tank limit, and then have 200 tanks yourself.

No, because then there'd be no point in having this deal, as the "sender nation" would rather instead just deploy his troops on his allies' spots rather than doing a "fake selling" that'd cripple his own capacity - Also, selling is supposed to be profitable...not a deficit