Neutrality Question

Mentor

Why is everyone declaring neutrality before anything has happened? If you have treaties honor them (or don't) if you do not then why tell everyone else you are neutral? In my opinion this is equivalent of saying "hey dudes we are not with anyone, do not attack us by mistake, we are the good guys!" I think that you will most likely attract more attention and someone will end up attacking you for the sake of it :P

Also, has this ever happened in real life? I mean did Ghana declare neutrality when the USA attacked Afghanistan? Need to look that one up *off to check the wiki* nope..............Ghana did not declare anything :rolleyes:

Edited by Mentor

Why is everyone declaring neutrality before anything has happened? If you have treaties honor them (or don't) if you do not then why tell everyone else you are neutral? In my opinion this is equivalent of saying "hey dudes we are not with anyone, do not attack us by mistake, we are the good guys!" I think that you will most likely attract more attention and someone will end up attacking you for the sake of it :P

Also, has this ever happened in real life? I mean did Ghana declare neutrality when the USA attacked Afghanistan? Need to look that one up *off to check the wiki* nope..............Ghana did not declare anything :rolleyes:

Likely this--they want to avoid being declared on, even if confused. If someone's hunting, say, the Global Order of Darkness, the Green Old Party wants nothing to do with it.

They also don't want to be seen as part of the reason the GRL is going over 20, possibly.

This is just speculation here, but I'm also thinking that they want to remind some folks that they really aren't trying to claim a stake in whatever upcoming conflagration is coming.

Meh, neutrality gets you nowhere.

Look at NADC, sure we got to 600~ members and a nice #4 sanction spot at our peak-- mostly by being neutral for GW2-3; but it gets you no dedicated friends and your members get no much needed war experience.

Think I see what you mean. Stick around and fight, and you might make some friends on your side, even if you do lose. And occasionally you can make friends with the enemy too. Hard to do either when neutral. Especially when the two sides who bomb themselves flat then get friendly after all the tension's gone, and start seeing YOU as a threat for being unscathed..

I think I've only seen one "preemptive" DoN, and that was by a micro alliance seeking attention. They couldn't even wait until the war had begun.

And what you said makes sense also, if you're not going to be fighting you don't need to tell everyone. Some people may get mad and just attack you for sheer stupidity.

I believe it has a lot to do with alliances not knowing how to handle a longterm war where the odds are more or less even instead of a 3 to 1, 5 to 1 or 10 to 1 gangbang.

Why fight a just and honorable war straight up when you can cower in peace mode?

I concur with Comrade Ivan. Look at MK, 2 major wars with 10 to 1 odds and we are still here, and our military prowess is respected across the lands. Odds aren't everything.

I believe it has a lot to do with alliances not knowing how to handle a longterm war where the odds are more or less even instead of a 3 to 1, 5 to 1 or 10 to 1 gangbang.

Why fight a just and honorable war straight up when you can cower in peace mode?

Exactly, a series of victories over roughly the last two years has bred a sense of complacency where the weak have prevailed in positions of power. However, that error may soon be rectified. ;)

Edited by Lycurgus Rex

I think it has more too do with that wars being messier and messier, that if you really have no stake in it (i.e. your a nub alliance, no offense GOP, and your made up of a lot of players who don't care for one side or another) it doesn't make a lot of sense to be like "Charge of the Light Brigade" because really... You're not the British, in GOP's case, or even the Russians, your some random $@!-end-of-no-where African tribe with sling shots trying to take on some machine gun heavy Afrikaans no one cares about either.

I guess people are trying to cover their bases... But this whole war business seems like a nervous market, where rumour hits of bad performance by a company, everybody rushes to sell, big depression... Only to find out that the rumours were false... Chillax everyone =)

K

There have been a total of 2 preemptive DoNs that I've seen.

One was by a neutral-in-the-Charter alliance that also happens to be a UJA protectorate. Since UJA has been put under a lot of stress by the preparations for war, people were naturally wondering which way they would go, and not realizing that they were constitutionally neutral.

The other was by UBD, who're in a rebuilding phase from getting rolled by MK.

So I don't think anyone should really come down on these guys too hard.

Hmm... It's better to fight and make friends than to just sit alone and not make friends... You can even make friends with your enemy because of putting up a fight against them... Honoring a treaty is a good and bad thing for some... depending on the circumstances... some may not like the views of their friends so actions must be taken to not get caught up in the mess... when the opportunity presents itself, friendship will be restored...

sacrifices must be made for the better of the alliance and friends... if you really want to gain war experience either avoid neutrality or join CNTE... but if you're just here to make friends, don't create an alliance only to be the Teletubby Alliance of CN...