NADC Announcement

Sounds like a laziness problem to me.

Have an admin sit down and go through all your foreign diplomats and create seperate permission masks for each alliance so that no one can see another alliance's embassy.

-OR-

Give those in your foreign affairs department exemption from having to type in embassy passwords.

I am a strong proponent against open embassies, and I feel I am not alone on this one.

Our forums do not allow us to give exemptions. Everyone must type in the password. Great idea and I would love it if I could do that, but I can't.

Edited by Lord Damien

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our forums do not allow us to give exemptions. Everyone must type in the password. Great idea and I would love it if I could do that, but I can't.

Then get new forum software? I mean, generally its better to do the work and inconvenient yourselves, versus inconvenienting your guests.

Just my 2 cents though...

Then get new forum software? I mean, generally its better to do the work and inconvenient yourselves, versus inconvenienting your guests.

Trust me, when I done with it, there will be no one inconvenienced.

Not quite sure I see the purpose for this. I'll trust you have one.

Anyhow,if it were me, I'd take pains to notify people individually instead of making a forum announcement. This isn't exactly a glorious return to the forums for NADC. ^_^

Alright, we'll let the mob decide if open embassies are a favorable policy or not. ;)

Not quite sure I see the purpose for this. I'll trust you have one.

Anyhow,if it were me, I'd take pains to notify people individually instead of making a forum announcement. This isn't exactly a glorious return to the forums for NADC. ^_^

That is part of the plan. I'm just covering all the bases by posting here also. Each alliance that has an embassy with us will be told. And no one seems to understand what I'm saying here even though I've repeated myself. I plan on talking with each alliance and giving them my plan in detail.

EDIT: To allay certain fears which have arisen, we will be setting up private conference rooms for those alliances who need them. The reason we're taking the passwords off is because, for the most part, alliances don't need the security, and it's much harder for our FA staff to check them consistently when the passwords are enabled.

You are solving the wrong problem.

Sounds like a laziness problem to me.

Have an admin sit down and go through all your foreign diplomats and create seperate permission masks for each alliance so that no one can see another alliance's embassy.

Agreed. Separate masks for each alliance works well for us, with our embassies. Any alliance that has had an embassy with us should remember our particular permissions setup.

I am a strong proponent against open embassies, and I feel I am not alone on this one.

Yana :D

Edited by Shakyr

I don't understand all the hate in this thread. Lots of alliances are set up like this, the two leaping to the top of my head being Umbrella and Valhalla. Most embassies are not used to discuss sensitive issues and if they are, they're given a private passworded embassy. As long as the diplomats take the time to acquaint themselves with the embassy setup (like checking to see if they can read other embassies) then this should cause absolutely no problems.

I don't understand all the hate in this thread. Lots of alliances are set up like this, the two leaping to the top of my head being Umbrella and Valhalla. Most embassies are not used to discuss sensitive issues and if they are, they're given a private passworded embassy. As long as the diplomats take the time to acquaint themselves with the embassy setup (like checking to see if they can read other embassies) then this should cause absolutely no problems.

This is what I've come across in the embassies I've visited. I'm not going to name names, but I've never needed a password. I started this knowing that not all would like the idea.

Yeah, that's my opinion as well. As far as I know NPO doesn't have protected Embassies for over 2 years now?

It's nothing new, it makes things easier, and I have never seen secret stuff in an Embassy.When people release secret stuff, they release IRC logs from secret channels, queries, or screenshots from the private Member area. I have hardly seen someone posting secret stuff from someone else Embassy.

Edited by Baden-Württemberg

Well, at iFOK we use different masks for different alliances, that way we leave nothing by chance. This way someone from lets say TOP, can only see the TOP Embassy, whilst someone from VE can only see the VE embassy.

That way people can post sensitive information and have discussions, without any worries that somebody not authorized or meant to can read it.

I prefer our system > its a 'just to be sure' system, and not a lot of work at all.

My thoughts exactly. Most of the chat that goes on in embassies isn't confidential information anyway. The information that is can be moved to one of NADC's more secure conference rooms. If a more well-liked alliance had made a similar announcement, I wonder if the same people would be giving them crap...

Good luck making your forums work better for you NADC.

My thoughts exactly. Most of the chat that goes on in embassies isn't confidential information anyway. The information that is can be moved to one of NADC's more secure conference rooms. If a more well-liked alliance had made a similar announcement, I wonder if the same people would be giving them crap...

Good luck making your forums work better for you NADC.

Lots of people like their diplomatic talks to be somewhat guarded. It kind of creates a feeling of trust and amicability when you are one on one with people. Mostly I am criticizing this move because it just means the FA department is lazy. Some simple forum wizardry and you can create individual masks and embassies for everyone and everyone is happy. It doesn't make sense to switch to this more open policy.

Also, congrats on updating from passwords. I hate those mother$%&@ers.

Honestly I don't have a problem with this. I am also not a diplomat to the NADC though. I did a similar thing when I was Minister of Truth for the New Polar Order. What I did though, was to keep passwords in place for those few embassies that actually requested or required it. We all know most embassies are full of spam and newsletters, which there is no need to password protect.

So my recommendation to the NADC is, enable security for those who really need it and feel it is important.

The reason no-one says anything interesting in an embassy is because they aren't secure, to a large degree :P. I know there are lots of meaningful topics in various embassies on the Grämlins board, and in our embassies on other people's boards – though fortunately not on NADC's.

If your forum won't let you set up the masks (or individual overrides which is what we do) then get better forum software.

Lots of people like their diplomatic talks to be somewhat guarded. It kind of creates a feeling of trust and amicability when you are one on one with people. Mostly I am criticizing this move because it just means the FA department is lazy. Some simple forum wizardry and you can create individual masks and embassies for everyone and everyone is happy. It doesn't make sense to switch to this more open policy.

Also, congrats on updating from passwords. I hate those mother$%&@ers.

So, you'd rather set up an individual mask for every alliance on Planet Bob? Seriously dude, you need a girlfriend... friend with benefits... hell, a bottle of moisturizer and some tissue. You got way too much time on your hands.

Nueva Vida recently switched to a mixed system... secure embassies for our allies, and an open hall for everyone else with the option of having access to a secure conference room if the need arises. I doubt non-allies are going to be posting anything that's too confidential anyways, so why do they need secure embassies?

So, you'd rather set up an individual mask for every alliance on Planet Bob? Seriously dude, you need a girlfriend... friend with benefits... hell, a bottle of moisturizer and some tissue. You got way too much time on your hands.

Nueva Vida recently switched to a mixed system... secure embassies for our allies, and an open hall for everyone else with the option of having access to a secure conference room if the need arises. I doubt non-allies are going to be posting anything that's too confidential anyways, so why do they need secure embassies?

That's the system I've always thought most effective. With alliance numbers well over 200 (or is it 300 now?), a different mask for every alliance simply isn't practical.

People need to relax. There are other alliances who don't do private embassies. Not to mention, it's not like other diplomats are gonna go into your embassy and read all your secrets. Most diplomats only visit their alliance's embassy anyway.

A lot of alliances have this system, and it doesn't even take a lot of time. Two minutes, at the most. ;) Not to mention, it's not like he goes through the list of alliances in Planet Bob and creates an embassy with private mask one by one. You make them as they come. :P

Edited by Star Gazing

Set up a couple pre-requisites, 50 members, 250k NS, or something along those lines and then make them apply for an embassy, the list doesn't get too big. And to be fair, Dajobo did all the work and his $@! is married, so he has all the time in the world ;)

Edited by Willaim Kreiger