What do you think is the most influential event is Cybernations history?

Emperor Whimsical

Not really. The consequences and betrayals of the First Great War shaped foreign policy well into the following year, and the consequences of that foreign policy's decay shaped the consequences of the following year, and so on...it really does all chain back to what occurred during the First Great War.

So if we follow this to its logical conclusion, Tygaland is the most influential player in the history of the game.

Or maybe Yaridovich :gag:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if we follow this to its logical conclusion, Tygaland is the most influential player in the history of the game.

Or maybe Yaridovich :gag:

I'm not sure I would necessarily argue that. Though there are a lot of other people for whom you could make the case, in either the establishment of the initial situation, or the reaction of the New Pacific Order following the first War.

Failure of The Legion to become properly involved in GWI and the subsequent failure of CoaLUEtion diplomacy afterwards. This allowed the uber-bloc "The Initiative," to form out of basically every major incoming alliance - FAN, GOONS etc who were so crucial in League/Aegis destruction in GW II and III. Had CoaLUEtion (incl Legion) actually sought to put down the NPO post GWI and engaged in active diplomacy I don't think The Initiative could have been formed.

GWII was short and unspectacular i'm not sure Legion and ODN could have actually turned the tide. League using nukes would have just made it more destructive.

UJW- This was more a consolidation of power than anything else, although key alliances were destroyed NPO dominated CN both before and after the conflict.

What might have happened?

League was unlikely to ever control CN politics, overall the League Alliances did not take CN as seriously as those who joined post GWI. Because of this I think it possible that a FAN or GOONS bloc would have grown to dominate CN at least for a time before being challenged by a resurgent NPpO bloc.

GWII probably. Two years later and its outcome still rings the same. It was the last stand made against Pacific and it failed. I don't know if nukes or if the Legion or ODN would've made a difference, and I don't really count their absence much of an event. The war itself, however...

But perhaps I'm a bit biased. That was the last time that the game was, to me, "whole". I don't know if it's the most influential event so much as it's the climax of the game's story.

I'd have to agree with Doitzel here. Were legion and ODN involved the war would perhaps have ended with both sides roughly equal (though whether the initiative would've accepted that I'm not sure of) but it would've set the stage for a more confident counter-bloc or at least coalition to keep trying to take us down more often. Were the sides deemed even then I think we would have had a more polarized web for a much longer time, though whether GWIII were to end the chances of a rebuild or not again I'm not sure as it'd depend on how effectively they would've rallied alliance from GWII to GWIII.

I think you can too easily get lost in the attempt to draw back each event's predecessor as the more "important" occurrence. For those that claim the Great Stupidity (GW1 for most) as some sort of critical turning point, you then perhaps lend credence to saying the appearance of LUE among the most influential events. The same could be said of the appearance of GOONs and the subsequent and inevitable UJP war.

As an active participant in the Great Stupidity and it's resolution, I started to make a series of point to argue the end of that war as the most influential event on digiterra. I think, however that Doitzel has found the mark. The NPO was able to rebuild and regain the position of hegemon following that war. This is significantly what separates the Great Stupidity from GWII. Had the NPO not been able to recapture a position of clear dominance, or had a coalition been able to reform to realistically challenge the NPO, then importance of the outcome of GWII would be diminished. As it stands the resulting political landscape remains basically unchanged and GWII stands as the last and therefore perhaps the most influential event in our shared history.

The last line of the quote in my signature applies to the newer folk who believe that the Third Great War or the Unjust War were the most influential events. In my opinion, the failure of the CoaLUEtion to properly punish NPO after the First Great War was the most important. The NPO was able to quickly re-establish itself and learned from its mistakes by surrounding itself with new allies in the Intiative. And from there the past two years have taken shape

Edited by Jagged Fel

When /b/ crashed the forums - set a precedent no one has, of yet, topped; just throwing it out there.

It's sort of like how Google has changed Sillicon Valley, a lot of people's play books end with, instead of the usual "IPO/Nuke Moo" (which still happens, don't get me wrong) there's now always "just go crazy [like /b/]"/sell out to Google. I know, it's a fairly poor analogy, but for being one of the few times the IC directly affected the RL in a meaningful way; there are few contenders. Too be honest, of all the time people have put into this, the only other event which has some sort of true historical worth would be -of course- Nordreich. Especially it's "almost fame" in Norway because of that YouTube movie.

Clearly, many would debate how my criteria is more in favor of items that have effected Real Life in a meaningful way. Almost entirely side-stepping the question of how influential those actions were in the context of just the 1010111's of CN History/Game, like the Great Wars (or whatever we call them). Yet if we would all be entirely honest with each other, and ourselves; winning GWII was okay, yes it changed the landscape forever. However, becoming something of national news in Norway (or shutting down the CN forum's access) is something entirely different, and in my opinion, on a entire different level.