Liga Mundo - Season 5

Botha

Week 4 in La Liga

-Lutherville Press (LP)

Currently anyone with even a small comprehension of math can take a look at the tables and see that Transvaal has a comfortable lead. But the surprise this season continues to be the lack of competition for the top spot. The past champions are sitting 1 and 2 spots out of the relegation zone. Arcadia finally got it's first victory against Swamplandia, as did Estrella Roja. And the surprising Duckies are still up at the second position on the table.

Results:

Atlético Luz Del Mar 1 - 2 Estrella Roja

Poss%: 53-47 SoG: 3-7

Scoreline: ALDM: Cavaní (76') Roja: Romero (16'), Motta (63')

Subs: N/A

Bookings: N/A

SiPS 1 - 3 1984 Duckies FC

Poss%: 49-51 SoG: 3-9

Scoreline: SiPS: Öörni (2') 1984: Pedersen (46'), Thay Puu (70'), Pitt (78')

Subs: 1984: Mahony in for Thay Puu (86'), Bynke Carlsen in for Askehave (88')

Bookings: SiPS: Salomäki (R, 79') 1984: Pitt (Y, 11'), Stille (Y, 29')

VolNation Volunteers 1 - 2 Transvaal Springboks

Poss%: 51-49 SoG: 6-7

Scoreline: Vol: Robertson (62') Boks: Brennan (13'), D. Botha (43')

Subs: Vol: Stewart in for Calori (6') Boks: Hörtnagl in for Witchge (22')

Bookings: Vol: Robertson (Y, 32') Boks: van der Meer (Y, 3'), Botha (Y, 6'), van Buyten (Y, 10')

Arcadia FC 3 - 0 Swamplandia Sinners

Poss%: 66-34 SoG: 5-0

Scoreline: AFC: Murphy (13'), Curtis (49'), Napieralski (53')

Subs: AFC: Curtis in for Blundetto (26')

Bookings: AFC: Jackson (Y, 28')

Segunda:

Spartak MK 2 - 1 Estrellapuerto FC

Dendarii FC 5 - 1 Clyde Albion

Voobaha National 1 - 1 FC Franzharia

FC Stalybridge 1 - 2 Keville United FC

Tercera:

El Entrego 2 - 0 Boltonia

Compostela Artois 0 - 3 Dun Carrig Bohs

Durkastan 0 - 2 FC Jekerger

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transvaal likes to play hard. Yellow cards never go out of style on the 'Boks. You did give me a good run in both games tho'

We like to play hard too. Look forward to the next meeting.

Anyway, Keville starting a nice little run up the table and next match against Clyde Albion, whose form seems to have been weak lately so hopefully something in it for us. I like the Segunda, its always fun to be in a medium division where there is a way up and down close to each other. Its just like the real world Scottish Second Division. All I have to do now is sort out my leaky back four.

My backline has been a problem as well, which maybe crazy to hear from ALDM. Lulu and Roj taja are playing well, but Asenjo and Mugerza arnt performing to standards due to form. Other than that, Flores has been quite as of late and Cavani and Alba are still lacking teamwork qualities which makes scoring goals at ALDM hard to do. But, i must say when this team gets their teamwork value up, ALDM will be very very scary. for now, we must battle for every single point we earn.

Nothing against Machi but I would wait until at least after the halfway point in the season to give him the team, It allows all teams to get at least one walkover before facing a real manager.

Normally I would agree with this... however it appears that the League has already accepted a new manager for the former Rivendell club, so it's not really fair to Machiabelly if he has to sit and wait while his future team goes to pot while someone else new to the league doesn't.

I think in the future, if someone wants to take over a team during the first half of the season, tbey have to wait until the start of the second half - while if someone come on board in the second half, they have to wait for the off-season. That's my feeling. We don't want to make someone have to wait two or three months (should a team manager go inactive early in the season) otherwise we might lose them to another league.

Who do you have next? I got VolNation, my one-game winning streak may come to an end...

Its the battle of the Estrella's :D, i face Estrellapuerto FC in the cup on the 3rd April. Next up in the league is SiPS at the Estadio de Sierra Curon B)

And we draw ADLM in the third round of the cup? Well, it was a good run to get this far.

round 1 def Durkastan (welcome to La Liga)

round 2 def Arcadia FC (bye bye, Courtney)

And with injuries and suspensions mouting... suddenly the road just got a lot bumpier.

And we draw ADLM in the third round of the cup? Well, it was a good run to get this far.

round 1 def Durkastan (welcome to La Liga)

round 2 def Arcadia FC (bye bye, Courtney)

And with injuries and suspensions mouting... suddenly the road just got a lot bumpier.

With the problems of the "Big 3" I wouldn't count yourself out yet.

Welcome aboard Machiabelly! Are you planning on changing your team's name? If you are, I ask that you do not change it on a game-day as I keep track of the league history and it's just easier for my historial records if mid-season name changes are done on an off-day.

Coach Christie has been offered a provisional one-season contract, but can be cancelled at any time by the board. Could get interesting.

Since the Springboks' manager is also the Minister of Sport & Athletics in Transvaal, the only people who can sack him are the Prime Minister or Staatspresident... talk about job security or what?

Week 5 Preview

-Lutherville Press (LP)

Last week saw AFC and Roja win their first match of the season. Could this be a turning week in the campaign? Might there actually be competition for the 'Boks? Could 3 time champions Vols really be in relegation danger? This week could answer those questions.

Match of the Week:

VolNation Volunteers @ Arcadia FC

Before the season began this matchup was being billed as the matchup that would most likely crown a champion. Unfortunately these two teams have failed to live up to their billing this year, but that doesn't make this match less important for either of these squads.

The VolNation squad is yet to chalk up a victory this season. The three time champs have woefully underperformed and are still looking to start their season. The problem for the Vols has unquestionably come from their backs. The defense has already given up 9 goals which is only 2 less than they gave up all of last season. However a win for them could be just what the team needs to perk up and start a run at the top of the table. With a win the Vols can move up as high as third on the table.

Arcadia has also slumped in their first few weeks, failing to put the ball in the back of the net had been their downfall, causing the release of Coach Courtney. Their victory last week against Swamplandia, and the three goals scored, has already helped the fans adjust to the new hire. Coach Christie faces her first real test this week and it has to be on the back of her mind that the fans and the team board have a very low tolerance for loosing at the present time. Certainly she does not want to be the shortest tenured coach of all time. However it is also very possible, with the current talent at AFC, that she could manufacture a great turnaround and make a true stab at the championship.

This game will come down to which struggling side can outperform the other. Will the slumping forwards of AFC be able to finally opperate against the weak defense of the Vols, or will the Vols find relief in the misfiring forwards of AFC?

Arcadia FC 1 - 2 VolNation Volunteers

Other Predictions

Transvaal Springboks 3 - 1 Atlético Luz Del Mar

Transvaal fans will be happy to celebrate their team's homecoming this week as they invite defending champs ALDM into the Loftus Versfeld Stadium. The 'Boks are humming along this season and looking like a very difficult squad. As a squad they have been able to frustrate forwards this year having only given up 2 goals in 4 games in league play. Atlético is looking to rebound to last week's disappointing home defeat to Roja but will find it hard to do so in such a rowdy atmosphere.

Swamplandia Sinners 1 - 4 1984 Duckies FC

The Sinners are also happy to be back home this week for only the second time this season. They have had a difficult time in the Primera and are looking to get some points in any way possible. The only point they have captured this season was a road draw against recently promoted SiPS. They hope that their luck against recently promoted teams continue as they take on the Duckies. The Duckies are a surprise team thus far in the season and hope not to trip up against the Sinners.

Estrella Roja 2 - 2 SiPS

Estrella Roja look to have hit their stride since their week one loss. In the past 3 weeks they have not lost and their most recent result was a convincing win at Atlético. The SiPS are trying to pull themselves up this week after their first loss last week at home against rivals the Duckies. The biggest brightspot for the Sips has to be the play of their forward Joni Rasimus who leads the league in points through 4 weeks.

Serie Segunda

FC Franzharia 2 - 2 Spartak MK

FC Stalybridge 0 - 3 Voobaha National

Keville United FC 2 - 1 Clyde Albion

Estrellapuerto FC 2 - 1 Dendarii FC

Serie Tercera

Dragonia United FC 2 - 3 Compostela Artois

Dun Carrig Bohs 2 - 2 El Entrego

Boltonia 2 - 0 Durkastan

Good to see Keville tipped to beat Clyde Albion. Right now Segunda is quite exciting - all three outcomes - promotion, relegation, or safety are possible for most of the teams in the division. Mini-league works well in situations like this where all the teams are relatively well matched. It'll be interesting to see where we are mid-season, and if Spartak can maintain their lead on everyone else.

Oh and PEI FC (pronounced Pie?) is possibly one of the most amusing names for a football team, at least to anyone familiar with UK football culture (as in who ate all the...).

Oh and PEI FC (pronounced Pie?) is possibly one of the most amusing names for a football team, at least to anyone familiar with UK football culture (as in who ate all the...).

I'm pretty sure PEI FC stands for Prince Edward Island FC (which is probably too long a name to use in X11) so it'd be pronounced PEE-EE-EYE.

Machiabelly: did you want me to call the team PEI FC or Prince Edward Island FC in the Liga Mundo history stuff?

Botha, you are correct, both in the name and why I used the short form. Prince Edward Island would be great for the history, but if it will be confusing, then PEI is fine. I suppose I should have put it as P.E.I. to be more accurate.