CN:TE Round 61, Supplemental Resources, and the Absence of a Navy

Don't get me wrong, the Supplemental Resource system is amazing. Trades are always difficult, and this allows greater levels of flexibility; it was a brilliant change, and one of the rare instances where firingline has made a constructive contribution.

However, it has introduced a new issue - or rather, exacerbated an existing one - nations are not harshly penalised for remaining under the blockade limit set by the game.

In CN:SE, this limit makes sense. Smaller nations with no navy getting blockaded by much larger and older nations with one is sure to be particularly frustrating. But in CN:TE, where nations always start on the same footing every round, to not build into a navy is a choice. Why should those nations who build a navy be worse off than those who do not, in a war-based game mode?

A nation who is so inclined can build a harbour, fix their trades, build, and collect; then immediately decommission their harbour and sell to under 250 land. This process takes, what, half an hour at most? And for the rest of the round, they need not waste money on building and upkeeping a navy, or risking being blockaded.

One assumes XP could be a solution, since not building a navy removes the opportunity to own one of four generals; however, the amount of XP required for an econ general is 14, which simply requires sending one boat on a suicide run 3 times a day, for 5 days, and one is set for the rest of the round.

So, what is the solution? Remove the restriction on blockades; a nation should always be at risk of being blockaded in the dedicated war-mode that is CN:TE. While it makes sense in CN:SE, it has no place in TE. This would require nations to plan their military, and restricts the ability for them to hide away. Hopefully, this shouldn't be a particularly arduous implementation for @admin!

On 6/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, Levonscott said:

Don't get me wrong, the Supplemental Resource system is amazing. Trades are always difficult, and this allows greater levels of flexibility; it was a brilliant change, and one of the rare instances where firingline has made a constructive contribution.

However, it has introduced a new issue - or rather, exacerbated an existing one - nations are not harshly penalised for remaining under the blockade limit set by the game.

In CN:SE, this limit makes sense. Smaller nations with no navy getting blockaded by much larger and older nations with one is sure to be particularly frustrating. But in CN:TE, where nations always start on the same footing every round, to not build into a navy is a choice. Why should those nations who build a navy be worse off than those who do not, in a war-based game mode?

A nation who is so inclined can build a harbour, fix their trades, build, and collect; then immediately decommission their harbour and sell to under 250 land. This process takes, what, half an hour at most? And for the rest of the round, they need not waste money on building and upkeeping a navy, or risking being blockaded.

One assumes XP could be a solution, since not building a navy removes the opportunity to own one of four generals; however, the amount of XP required for an econ general is 14, which simply requires sending one boat on a suicide run 3 times a day, for 5 days, and one is set for the rest of the round.

So, what is the solution? Remove the restriction on blockades; a nation should always be at risk of being blockaded in the dedicated war-mode that is CN:TE. While it makes sense in CN:SE, it has no place in TE. This would require nations to plan their military, and restricts the ability for them to hide away. Hopefully, this shouldn't be a particularly arduous implementation for @admin!

Different games.

TBH, trades are not that hard in TE . I have 3 people that can trade  atm.

Blockades, yes, had a few this round but managed to pass them mostly back and with interest.

Send me your TE name and I will try to hook you up.

Whinging about trades whilst not showing your Alliance is not the fastest way to get a trade is it?

7 hours ago, Adel said:

Different games.

TBH, trades are not that hard in TE . I have 3 people that can trade  atm.

Blockades, yes, had a few this round but managed to pass them mostly back and with interest.

Send me your TE name and I will try to hook you up.

Whinging about trades whilst not showing your Alliance is not the fastest way to get a trade is it?

I don't think you understand the OP. Levon is an active member of Ordo Paradoxia. He has no issue finding trades. His issue is with harbor abuse to dodge blockades.

14 hours ago, Tevron said:

I don't think you understand the OP. Levon is an active member of Ordo Paradoxia. He has no issue finding trades. His issue is with harbor abuse to dodge blockades.

Ehh.. I've been on both sides of this by having the large navy and the one being blockaded.  I always start buying a navy so ya I sink money into that every time. 

I don't think nations should be able to dodge it, but I also don't think they need a huge blockade penalty (thinking about newbies - not those lifetime vets that turtle all round) I don't know if there is a cap but looking into that if this is adjusted might not push people away from the game but still will do some damage.

Al

1 hour ago, AL Bundy said:

Ehh.. I've been on both sides of this by having the large navy and the one being blockaded.  I always start buying a navy so ya I sink money into that every time. 

I don't think nations should be able to dodge it, but I also don't think they need a huge blockade penalty (thinking about newbies - not those lifetime vets that turtle all round) I don't know if there is a cap but looking into that if this is adjusted might not push people away from the game but still will do some damage.

Al

Also seems smart. I think the key is making it not viable to avoid navies.

2 minutes ago, Tevron said:

Agree, as long as we are not 100% blockading newbies to get xp haha

On 6/29/2022 at 1:00 PM, AL Bundy said:

Al

Most seasoned players know how Al  runs a round.

Turtle is not new to him. I have seen more than one round where he turtles and leave

his alliance  to pick up the pieces.

Certain tricks to do certain stuff.

Seasoned players know how it works, that is why Al tends to be a bit of a target each round.

Sure it has little to game play.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:38 PM, Tevron said:

I think I understand the game better than most.

The issue you refer to on Levon/ op and "harbour abuse" trade is no different to a newb coming into the game and trying to get a trade.

Back in the day all nations were stuck with initial trade sets and had to work hard to be nice to each other for continued trade.

They were good days when TE had more than 100 nations in many alliances.

What do we have now?

Largest alliance with 27 members and just short of 110 total players?

21 hours ago, Adel said:

I think I understand the game better than most.

The issue you refer to on Levon/ op and "harbour abuse" trade is no different to a newb coming into the game and trying to get a trade.

Clearly not. You're not even referring to the suggestion from Levon.

On 7/4/2022 at 7:42 AM, Adel said:

Most seasoned players know how Al  runs a round.

Turtle is not new to him. I have seen more than one round where he turtles and leave

his alliance  to pick up the pieces.

Certain tricks to do certain stuff.

Seasoned players know how it works, that is why Al tends to be a bit of a target each round.

Sure it has little to game play.

Hahahaha I never turtle but glad to know that you know nothing about the game and made an irrelevant comment in the tread hahaha....

Thanks!

On 7/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, Tevron said:

Clearly not. You're not even referring to the suggestion from Levon.

Hard to tell when the op refers to two different games.

Pretty sure the opening line was a complaint about how hard it was to get trades.

It then goes on to the suggestion that an easy way around blockades and gaining a navy general  is thus;-

"which simply requires sending one boat on a suicide run 3 times a day, for 5 days, and one is set for the rest of the round."

Tevron could have pointed out the obvious flaw in that suggestion given a little more game experience, but failed to pick up on the flaw. ;o)

On 7/5/2022 at 11:02 PM, AL Bundy said:

Hahahaha I never turtle but glad to know that you know nothing about the game and made an irrelevant comment in the tread hahaha....

Thanks!

Perhaps I could have worded it differently.

Forced to re roll due to inexperience suit you better?

On 6/29/2022 at 2:43 PM, Tevron said:

Bonkers idea.

What next, force everyone to purchase nukes so as not to allow people to spy them away?

Get a grip man.

10 hours ago, Adel said:

Perhaps I could have worded it differently.

Forced to re roll due to inexperience suit you better?

Hahhaa who are you even, does anyone even know.... Just looking in the records and TE awards it's recorded I have experience. I'm top casualties every round... Ask anyone with any actual history in TE. 

And again your comments are not relevant to the topic.

Put on your big boy panties and hit me in game, TE or SE instead of trolling on the OWF like a immature teenager.

Al

10 hours ago, AL Bundy said:

Hahhaa who are you even, does anyone even know.... Just looking in the records and TE awards it's recorded I have experience. I'm top casualties every round... Ask anyone with any actual history in TE. 

And again your comments are not relevant to the topic.

Put on your big boy panties and hit me in game, TE or SE instead of trolling on the OWF like a immature teenager.

Al

Just a quick glance  shows you have no idea.

The award for top casualties went to Lee land last round alone, so catch you on a lie I get a pretty good idea you do not even know what the top casualties award is.

Proof   - https://tournament.cybernations.net/tournament_awards.asp?Page=4&Order=ASC&Field=AwardName&Round=60

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since this round will come to an end within hours, I'd just like to humbly push this to the front of the agenda, again.

Any other thoughts?

On 7/20/2022 at 9:28 AM, Tevron said:

Fortunately you have a vast record of experience to speak for.

Levon's suggestion remains a good one. It doesn't make sense for TE to allow navy dodging mechanics since it's competitive.

It doesn't make sense to allow turtle-nuking either, and yet here we are.