Can someone give a history of CYBERNATIONS?

stepanek

I used to be a member of TDO a couple years ago, and decided to start up playing again. I was just wondering if someone who has been around for a while could tell me about the history of politics in this game... I.E. Alliance shifts, alliances that internally fell apart (and why), the major wars and why they were started, key updates to the game, just anything in general that people wish to share.

I think this could potentially be an important post for those who don't know the history of the game, as well as a chance for people to share there interpretations of key events and milestones in the game. Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone that has anything to contribute. Cheers!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link, it's nice and helpful. I was more curious on people posting their opinions on events that have happened, and getting the history from different sources, not so much a wiki.

[quote name='stepanek' timestamp='1300941409' post='2674388']
Thanks for the link, it's nice and helpful. I was more curious on people posting their opinions on events that have happened, and getting the history from different sources, not so much a wiki.
[/quote]
Wiki's tend to be as nutreal as possible or showing both sides, but if you want to hear people that only tell what benefits them and only them sure.

[quote name='xoindotnler' timestamp='1300941634' post='2674392']
Wiki's tend to be as nutreal as possible or showing both sides, but if you want to hear people that only tell what benefits them and only them sure.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I want to hear actually.

With all respect the wiki is a bit light on the details of a great many things and many articles are either completely missing when there should be an article, or incomplete if an article exists. It is mostly just a repository of treaties, alliance constitutions and vanity pages, there is not much there to help a person get some sense of the history of alliance politics and no real central portal for researching important historical events. There was some articles written on the forums a couple of years back about the history of CN when we still had a academic discussion sub-forum but these are extremely outdated now.

And it is doubtful that a neutral complete history of CN could even be written now due to just about everyone with the inclination to write one being biased to one side or the other. So it would not end well since one side would object and the usual results would ensue.

[quote name='Prime minister Johns' timestamp='1300942349' post='2674411']
the wiki is a bit light on the details of a great many things and many articles are either completely missing when there should be an article, or incomplete if an article exists. It is mostly just a repository of treaties, alliance constitutions and vanity pages, there is not much there to help a person get some sense of the history of alliance politics and no real central portal for researching important historical events. [/quote]

Exactly, not to mention it's quite unorganized and difficult to navigate. What major wars have there been? I believe the last time I had played, which was about 4 years ago, there had 3 or 4 major wars.. correct me if I'm mistaken...

[quote name='duffman04' timestamp='1300942672' post='2674419']
What do you wish to know young one
[/quote]

What are some memorable moments in this game, that had the biggest impact on your nation/gameplay/alliance that come to mind first?

[quote name='stepanek' timestamp='1300942785' post='2674421']
What are some memorable moments in this game, that had the biggest impact on your nation/gameplay/alliance that come to mind first?
[/quote]
NAAC-NPO War
GW1
GW2

I remember those three wars the most out of them all. GW1 is easily the most memorable though great moment in time when the game banded together to stop tyranny

[quote name='duffman04' timestamp='1300942990' post='2674424']
NAAC-NPO War
GW1
GW2

I remember those three wars the most out of them all. GW1 is easily the most memorable though great moment in time when the game banded together to stop tyranny
[/quote]

Stop tyranny... what do you mean?

[quote name='stepanek' timestamp='1300943264' post='2674429']
Stop tyranny... what do you mean?
[/quote]
Almost every war before GW1 save maybe the GATO-INC war and maybe the LUE-ICSN war was NPO rolling over alliances over allegedly catching them spying on them. (This includes how the NAAC-NPO war started by the way)
They were given harsh surrender terms, not very fair. After the NAAC-NPO war infact NPO created NpO to try and replace NAAC in the blue sphere. They also tried getting into the green sphere with IGC, fortunately that was a huge failure, probably because no one liked Rysonia.

Not many people liked them, and you'll notice that by how many alliances hopped in GW1 to fight them [b][/b]

Edited by duffman04

[quote name='duffman04' timestamp='1300943810' post='2674438']
Not many people liked them, and you'll notice that by how many alliances hopped in GW1 to fight them [b][/b]
[/quote]

Is that still the way it is?
I remember the name Rysonia...

1 - Karma happened. NPO lost their power. C&G/SF took over.

2 - NpO decided to be the new moral police and hit \m/. This, by an extremely random and confusing chain of events, lead to TOP/IRON/other people hitting C&G. NPO's power base from pre-karma war sided with TOP and yet again lost the war. C&G/SF retained power.

3 - Post war MK and TOP decided that they respected each other and worked on a relationship. Meanwhile MK dropped all their treaties and formed Doomhouse with Umbrella/GOONS, which is generally considered an offshoot of the recently formed Pandoras Box bloc (Umbrella, GOONS, FOK, iFOK, VE, PC).

4 - A while later the Orders were gaining a bit of strength again, although the "quality" of said strength was considerably lower than average when considering pound for pound strength in their nations. SF/C&G was no longer considered the main powerbase in the world after Fark left SF and MK left C&G, and at this point it stood at DH/PB as one major power and The orders and their allies as the other major power, with a bunch of alliances in the middle.

5 - VE said NpO spied on them. NpO said they were set up. War ensued, sides were skewed all over the place, lots of alliances got either strained and/or ripped apart by separate commitments, and generally this war sucked for everyone involved...except VE. Right now it is continuing in the forum of DH/FAN vs NPO. Every other front involved has closed.

Well the game started in early 2006. Lot's of people came from a game that we're not allowed to mention.

Game developed and you basically ended up with a big alliance on each colour sphere. This kind of made sense. So GATO was on brown, NPO on red, NAAC on blue, Legion purple. I joined about the time the NPO and NAAC were fighting over blue and the NpO was founded.

Back then people did actually used to role-play, in that they acted like rulers of nations etc, rather than just attacking each other on the forums like these GOONS, MK etc do nowadays etc.

Anyway so NPO got a bit big for their boots and LUE and just about everyone in the game attacked them. I remember my nation getting pretty messed up in that one. NPO had to say sorry, but terms were less harsh back then. For the next year and a bit the NPO basically got revenge in the Great Patriotic Wars, us GPW veterans knew what it was like to see defeat, unlike the new breed of kids joining who just wanted to nuke everything. Hmm, i guess the NPO membership has a little more humility now.

So yeah, the years kind of fly past between 2007 - 2009. I suppose the game changer came at Karma where the older alliances that were kind of allied together got badly hurt. I suppose the longer term story is that the home-grown RP-lite based alliances are or have already been eclipsed what are effectively 'invasions' from other communities and games. It'll be interesting to see where that takes us.

/sigh

Most of the action in this game revolves around wars, whether its the maneuvering and posturing leading up to it, the actual fighting or the aftermath/rebuild. If you want first hand accounts of how things went down, your best bet is probably to go on the wiki, read about the war, then go on IRC and find someone who was around/there/involved and ask them about it. The more specific you can be with your questions, the better.

In general, asking for a full history of CN is like asking how to build a reactor. The answer is long and complicated, and there aren't a lot of people out there who can do it justice.