Can someone give a history of CYBERNATIONS?

stepanek

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest, the idea of a fast and condensed version of CN for the uninformed is likely impossible. Scores of alliances shifting and minor wars going on all the time that change the power structures, plus thousands coming into these board trying to generate drama on a daily basis.

I've got over 4 years at this and pay fairly close attention, yet I'd be lucky to remember half that goes on and not for very long at that because it just keeps coming at you. If I took a 6 month break and tried to drop back into the info stream I likely would need another 6 months just to catch up.

If I could come up with a decent analogy it would be like taking an ant farm and removing central control. Then giving every ant his own thought process and own agenda, then give all the ants sharp teeth and surly attitudes. Try keeping track of something like that. Miss a day and there's no telling how much you missed. This place is Darwin to the 20th power at light speed.

About all a novice can do coming in is note the truly big wars that seem to run about 3 times every 2 years and the most dominant power structures at the time of those wars.

Then you just start living CN from that moment forward.

[quote name='stepanek' timestamp='1300944304' post='2674446']
What are typically the surrender terms after a war, and why was the NPO's terms harsh?
[/quote]
Read them for yourself and decide if they were harsh.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=63887

[quote name='hawk_11' timestamp='1300991167' post='2674811']
Oh boy, I better get in here and present the proper NPO version before duffman ruins everything.
[/quote]

Which is?

[quote name='flak attack' timestamp='1300990610' post='2674803']
Considering how badly that war sucked, I'm ok with that.
[/quote]

Why? Please explain!

[quote name='KingEsus' timestamp='1300957445' post='2674555']

Back then people did actually used to role-play, in that they acted like rulers of nations etc, rather than just attacking each other on the forums like these GOONS, MK etc do nowadays etc.

/sigh
[/quote]

I miss those days. I've been around for about 4 and a half years now. The early years were some of the best. Since KARMA the community as a whole has gone down hill. Slander, direct personal attacks and the likes are on the rise, and true national and alliance RP is on a downhill slope. I don't know what has caused it, but it was around that time period it happened.

edit: Karma war devastated a majority of the nations in NPO. The reparations kept us from growing for a good 8 months (no internal tech deals after all), and the post-reparations period saw amazing growth for the NPO. Personally, my nation was devastated by 3 months of constant war. I had just passed my pre-karma strength about 2 weeks before Doomhouse jumped us out o the blue, leaving us in this situation.

Edited by Feuersturm

[quote name='Feuersturm' timestamp='1300996879' post='2674918']
I miss those days. I've been around for about 4 and a half years now. The early years were some of the best. Since KARMA the community as a whole has gone down hill. Slander, direct personal attacks and the likes are on the rise, and true national and alliance RP is on a downhill slope. I don't know what has caused it, but it was around that time period it happened.
[/quote]
Were we playing the same game pre-Karma?

It is an important lesson for every budding historian to learn to ignore Duffman. The important note in this case is that there were in fact two different Polar Wars. The first, which could properly be referred to as the NAAC-NPO War, had nothing to do with spying. I wrote a brief history of it [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=104&showentry=1258]here[/url].

The Second Polar War was actually the NPO, GATO and Legion vs. NAAC, since NAAC was caught spying on all three (well, I say 'caught', their (not very good) leader tried to prove an unrelated point by blurting it out on the open forum).

History in general is best understood as a series of eras and revolutionary wars as we move from one to the other.

[list][*]The first was the Pacifican era, spanning from the NPO-ODN War to GW1 (Feb-August 2006).
[*]The second was the anti-Pacifican era (so-called because the coaLUEtion never formed a bloc and were bound by nothing more than the fact that they held a greater irrational hatred for the NPO than they did an irrational hatred for one another), spanning from GW1 to GW2 (Sept 2006-Jan 2007).
[*]The third was the Initiative era, spanning from GW3 to the Unjust War (March 2007-July 2007).
[*]The fourth was the Continuum era, spanning from its formation to the Karma War (Nov 2007-April 2009).
[*]The fifth and current can probably be defined as the MK era since they are the core alliance within it (much like the NPO was in the first third and fourth eras), spanning from the attack on TPF in January 2010 to present. The current war is just a cleaning up of potential competition so that we can live in an exciting world of stagnation for the next few years.[/list]

Within this framework it is much easier to understand the flow of politics -- why certain events mattered, why alliances took the stances that they did, and why these stances were often in direct contradiction to the stance they took in the following era (something of particular note in the current one). Outwith this context the whole of history is just a morass of self-contradiction and confusion.

[quote name='KingEsus' timestamp='1300957445' post='2674555']
Back then people did actually used to role-play, in that they acted like rulers of nations etc, rather than just attacking each other on the forums like these GOONS, MK etc do nowadays etc.
[/quote]

Yes, no Ruler or military commander has ever launched a pre-emptive attack against an enemy they know to be hostile ever. Well done with your analysis.

Edited by Deki

[quote name='Deki' timestamp='1301000428' post='2675013']
Yes, no Ruler or military commander has ever launched a pre-emptive attack against an enemy they know to be hostile ever. Well done with your analysis.
[/quote]

Wow. Way to miss the point. What i'm saying is they did it in style, they did it in character. They used the sort of language you would expect from a 'national leader', not a some college kid greifer only interested in point scoring.

[quote]I see all of you reading this post, I wish you all would answer this:
What events in the game are most memorable to you, and why? [/quote]
Were ya around for VE disbanding after one day of war? That is certainly one of the most memorable for me. It always makes me smile to know that they just couldn't quite cut it.

Edited by youwish959

[quote name='KingEsus' timestamp='1301008388' post='2675221']
Wow. Way to miss the point. What i'm saying is they did it in style, they did it in character. They used the sort of language you would expect from a 'national leader', not a some college kid greifer only interested in point scoring.
[/quote]

Ah, I see, but you can hardly accuse the Doomhouse nations of doing this without admitting that many from the Hopeless coalition are doing the same, if not worse.

So what usually causes conflicts? Spying? People talking smack against alliances? Has there ever been a rift within a team trying to eliminate competition?

The great TPF war was a month long build up to war followed by the worst feeling of blue balls the cyberverse had ever experienced, it was even know as the "Blue-balls War" on the wiki for a time.

[quote name='stepanek' timestamp='1301022872' post='2675557']
[b]So what usually causes conflicts?[/b] Spying? People talking smack against alliances? Has there ever been a rift within a team trying to eliminate competition?
[/quote]
Grudges. Old grudges die very hard.

See DH-NPO War as an example. DH had a very flimsy CB of accusing NPO planning on joining the PB-NpO War. They didn't have any evidences other than pointing to the treaty web. Lots of DH's members repeatedly refereed back to NPO's pre-Karma history, and that indicates lots of grudges.

[quote name='stepanek' timestamp='1301025614' post='2675617']
I'm seeing the phrase "pre-Karma" appearing repeatedly... can someone explain this?
[/quote]

Karma was the war that removed NPO from power. It was kicked off with a flowery statement from Archon of the Mushroom Kingdom about how the entire world was sick of NPO's various "crimes" such as unprovoked curbstomps, prolonged wars, harsh reparations, things like that. NPO and what allies it had that didn't bail for the other side lost that war. It lasted 3 months for NPO and did more damage than any war in the history of CN. To top it off NPO had to pay the largest reparations by far in the history of CN to quite a number of alliances for those "crimes" which kept the largest alliance in CN out of the game for a full year and a half. They still hadn't come close to a full recovery when DH launched their current war.

So when people say pre-Karma they refer to a time when NPO was in power and hadn't yet shed blood and tech for their various actions.

[quote name='Vol Navy' timestamp='1301032762' post='2675846']
So when people say pre-Karma they refer to a time when NPO was in power and hadn't yet shed blood and tech for their various actions.
[/quote]

OK, gotcha. Thank you!

[quote name='xoindotnler' timestamp='1300941634' post='2674392']
Wiki's tend to be as nutreal as possible or showing both sides,
[/quote]

In opposite-land maybe.

It's accurately made a stronger impression on me the other way. The whole 'showing both sides' thing is a farce when one 'side' relies on repeating lies until people start believing them - which is often the case.

This is interesting to read. And welcome back stepanek.

As a tree-hugging neutral, I see the world in a different light. I think the reality of any conflict is that neither side is 100% right and the truth is someone either in the middle or off toward the second star on the right. Some wars happen just because people are bored and think that this is a war game. And for them it is.

History. In the beginning there was the word and the word was from Admin and Admin saw there was darknesss on the world. And Admin said let there be Cybernations, and Planet Bob was born and like any creator, he tinkered here and there and there and here and there came wonders and more wonders and moon and mars wonders and then Admin saw that people wanted more war and Admin said let there be TE and Planet Steve was born with faster wars and shorter lives and prizes and players slew each other like there was no tomorrow and on the last day of each cycle there wasn't. And then Admin rested.

And here we are today. People have more money than any one ever dreamed they would have. Nations are huge and there are the have's and have nots and Bob begins to look more like that mythical world called Terra. Scary isn't it?

As a tree hugger I remember watching the global radiation level go up and up and up. You watch alliances come and go, wars come and go. No one any more memorable than the other because they are all too much the same.

Bob, like all the worlds in all the universes has become what it's inhabitants think it is - even if it is not.