Zargathians behind Somalian election fraud

Sargun II

barack-obama-speech.jpg

President Obama calling on the Zargathian operatives to give themselves up peacefully.

Carthaginian operatives deployed to Somalia to root out any pro-Fascist movements have discovered a large-scale, Zargathian-supported operation. The operation resulted in the election of Junio Vincetta as Governor and Juli Peaceheart as Secretary of State. Junio Vincetta was heavily involved and covered up many of the Zargathian funds with false records, giving the appearance of a regular Fascist campaign contributions. However, millions of dollars were put into bribing and buying out Somalian officials, who were kept in office after the Italian colonial reign.

Thirteen key Zargathian operatives remain at large while twelve were arrested, two committed suicide, and one died in a shootout. President Barack Obama called on the Zargathian operatives to give up peacefully and for a formal apology from the Zargathian government.

//OOC: If you wanted to rig my vote, you could have simply asked, spy rolled, and RP'd something good. You didn't - you resorted to crossing the OOC/IC line and rigging it. You're as low as Sumeragi, and I'm not going to sit idle. You cross the OOC/IC line, I will too.

I see your post here, and I accept your OOC apology. Now I require an IC one. I hold no grudges (I'm a bit miffed at Borghese, but he insulted me) out of character.

Edited by Sargun

OOC: Not a problem, i'll RP this out as part of the consequences.

IC:

"Zargathia is unpleasantly surprised to hear of this organized attempt to sabotage a democratic voting process, even more so at the scale at which this has apparently been taking place. While there are currently no restrictions to creating political parties as part of Zargathian law on freedom of speech, this becomes an entirely different matter when this basic right is abused to hinder freedom of speech abroad. Needless to say, Zargathia recognizes the crimes committed and will offer its cooperation with the Carthagians in tracking down and apprehending the operatives involved as part of a pending investigation on election fraud. To the Somalian people we can only offer our sincere apologies for this entire situation."

A true shame, Zargathia was one Australia's hope as the last true balance nation on the continent of Asia. But with this movement, it will be much harder to trust any of their movements in the world and in Asia, if they are willing to meddle in the affairs of African powers and on the side of the deposed colonialists. In addition, my view of the Asiatic Unity Pact has plummeted even more so, Asia needs to learn the morals of political process, even if you may not agree with it, the actions of the world have led to this, an underhanded move as this is truly...unfortunate for the future.

-HRH Hannah Asgeirsson

Statement from the Steward of the League

I am appalled by what has occurred in Somalia of late, that Zargathia would stoop so low as to support the undermining of another people's democratic process is shocking to me. While it is good to see that Zargathia is now attempting to mend its ways and is cooperating with the Aphrikan authorities, this does not immediately absolve them of all guilt. While I hope this will be only a single isolated incident, only time will tell if Zargathia has changed it's ways.

The Sicilian League calls for a new round of elections to replace this now tainted Somalian government.

-Jean d'Aosta

Steward of the Sicilian League

"While Zargathia is a member of the AUP, this does not mean that the AUP as a whole is 'corrupt', 'evil', or an interference in other continents. As a bloc, we stick to our own continent and handle our own internal affairs per our own wish. While this is a blow to the AUP regardless, because a slight on one is a slight on all, it does not mean much in the long run of things.

Speaking for my nation as a whole, the PDHRK, we are upset that Zargathia would resort to this. However, the bond between our two nations is too strong to let such a small incident shift relations drastically. We are still, however, disappointed in the actions of the government of our beloved ally. Certainly, this is a wakeup call for those in the AUP with external agendas that harm the bloc as whole."

- Kagami Hiiragi [AUP Representative to the PDHRK]

"Overall, the response I believe could appropriately sum up my thoughts is displayed below."

Kagami-n.jpg

Edited by Elrich von Richt

"While Zargathia is a member of the AUP, this does not mean that the AUP as a whole is 'corrupt', 'evil', or an interference in other continents. As a bloc, we stick to our own continent and handle our own internal affairs per our own wish. While this is a blow to the AUP regardless, because a slight on one is a slight on all, it does not mean much in the long run of things.

The AUP sticks to its own continent? We find the very notion of the AUP not sticking its nose in every ones affairs, laughable, at best.

Not to mention, the countless time Michuraza has called out for war, more or less specifically against Furon. For such an "internal bloc" you are rather vocal about things that do not concern you.

Not to mention, the countless time Michuraza has called out for war, more or less specifically against Furon. For such an "internal bloc" you are rather vocal about things that do not concern you.
"Michuraza has a tendency to slip off it's leash. Maybe it's time we did something about that..."

- Nagato Yuki, Minister of Defense

Michuraza is not the point of this matter. This concerns only Zargathia and Somalia. If you wish to discuss Michuraza, discuss it elsewhere.

"Michuraza has a tendency to slip off it's leash. Maybe it's time we did something about that..."

- Nagato Yuki, Minister of Defense

If that were the case, I believe that it is something that Furon would proudly assist the PHDRK in, cooperatively, surely a first in our nations' existences.

"I have personally met with the Zargathian Queen on more than one occasion. While I will not contest that elements of the Zargathian government are involved, as proof does undeniably exist, I am highly doubtful that she would order something like this to be done. If a mistake was made on her poart, it was trusting the wrong people."

"I am also shocked that people point to the actions of one nation and use it to slander an entire set of their allies."

~Anthony Harlem, Grand Duke, Queendom of Australia

"I have personally met with the Zargathian Queen on more than one occasion. While I will not contest that elements of the Zargathian government are involved, as proof does undeniably exist, I am highly doubtful that she would order something like this to be done. If a mistake was made on her poart, it was trusting the wrong people."

"I am also shocked that people point to the actions of one nation and use it to slander an entire set of their allies."

"It is i fear not uncommon in this day and age... We are, however, relieved as well as grateful for the continued faith our allies continue to hold in our competence and ability to govern."

*** Classified to Australia ***

Dear Grand Duke Harlem,

There is a rather delicate problem we've encountered while trying to remedy the exploits used by these criminals. ZEIS exists for internal security as well, but the truth of the matter is that our spy network consists of decentralized cells, lacking a true central command. Guarding hidden facilities and state secrets are no problem, neither are tracking down and neutralizing a known threat, but when it comes to non-singular goals such as -- in this case -- finding evidence of shady transactions when it is unsure whether these transactions are there in the first place, such acts can slip through the nets with remarkable ease due to ZEIS' relative inexperience at conducting nationwide, coordinated investigations.

Much like last time, we would therefore ask for any assistance, verbal or otherwise, you might be willing to give. This scandal has pointed out a grave inefficiency in the workings of our spy network, and we assure you we are just about as dedicated to solving this problem as we can get. Understandably, preventing the repetition of a scandal of this nature by removing the circumstances that allow it to form is a matter of the utmost priority right now.

Sincerely,

(scribble)

Amyante Tojimaru

Queen of Zargathia

Edited by Amyante

***Classified to Zargathia***

Dear Amyante Tojimaru,

Your Majesty, I can sympathize with the problem. Though there is little I believe we can do to help rectify the current issue, perhaps I can authorize a team to help overhaul the system. The decentralization is good in that there is less risk of more being uncovered should one of your agents be exposed, however, it also means lack of coordination, in my opinion a much higher problem than the increased risk.

As stated, I don't believe there is much that can be done about this voting issue, but perhaps if you gave me more information to work with.

How are business transactions recorded? What are the ways in which your subjects might be able to hide less than savory transactions?

*** Classified to Australia ***

Dear Grand Duke,

You've hit the nail on the head concerning the thought process that eventually resulted in a decentralized network of cells, led by two or three people at most. Though lack of coordination was a problem that was discussed, we have mistakenly believed it to be manageable by temporarily merging cells when and where needed. While effective at keeping secrets, such an organizational structure is much more adept at infiltration techniques than large scale monitoring.

Business transactions are recorded, though with the limited resources available to us (OOC: tech level, no IA improvements) we can only monitor transactions of Ƶ 50.000,-- and above. Though a full investigation is still in its starting phase, we believe it was circumvented by utilizing a number of 'middle men' both in Zargathia and Somalia making numerous small transactions as opposed to a few figureheads donating large sums, thus being able to escape the system's notice. Additionally, some companies may have been used as slush funds under the guise of setting up a Somalian branch, or other techniques usually reserved for money laundering as that money in itself does not legally 'exist' to begin with.

Sincerely,

Amyante Tojimaru

Queen of Zargathia

Edited by Amyante

***Classified To Zargathia***

As I said, I can send some experts to help overhaul your system (OOC: perhaps translated into sending some IG aid to allow one of those agencies... ;)) if you wish, but as for actual investigation, that is not as much my area of expertise.

If you can actually find even one of the 'middle men,' however, and actually prove they are involved in something shady, you might be able to press him or her into revealing more, perhaps in exchange for a lighter sentence.