STA November Press Conference

pezstar

Welcome to the STA November Press Conference. This is the place to ask your questions and get open and honest answers from STA government.

This month, we're adding a caveat. Please don't ask us what we think of your alliance. Those questions are stupid and generally self serving. We're just not going to respond to them anymore.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1288789272' post='2500823']
How many twinkies did you offer to get MagicalTrevor to leave MK for you guys?
[/quote]

None. He paid us 300 to get in.

[quote name='hankidan' timestamp='1288789349' post='2500824']
Which alliance that you're not treatied to would you most like to have ties with?
[/quote]

None. We don't have any extra treaty level friendships at the moment. That said, I, personally, have been thinking a lot about a couple of alliances lately. I like ODN, for example. They're nothing like many of their detractors decry them to be. They're solid, they have proven they value their allies, and they tend to be easy to get along with.

[quote name='Poyplemonkeys' timestamp='1288798014' post='2500894']
How do you feel about the treaties MK has (re)signed so far?
[/quote]

We are completely unsurprised. We liked MK better in the underdog role.

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1288807796' post='2501016']
See my last response to previous question.
[/quote]

I did and I'm having a hard time understanding what has changed about us.

MK's attitude and culture has been consistent throughout its existence so a statement like that, without explanation, seems entirely unfounded. I thought things would change when Archon left but Lebubu is just a centrist and boring.

Now this is an assumption but I'm willing to bet everything suddenly changed when MT left and divulged the heinous things that go on beyond our forum embassies, things no man or woman should ever bear witness to.

Edited by tamerlane

[quote name='tamerlane' timestamp='1288808337' post='2501018']
I did and I'm having a hard time understanding what has changed about us.

MK's attitude and culture has been consistent throughout its existence so a statement like that, without explanation, seems entirely unfounded. I thought things would change when Archon left but Lebubu is just a centrist and boring.

Now this is an assumption but I'm willing to bet everything suddenly changed when MT left and divulged the heinous things that go on beyond our forum embassies, things no man or woman should ever bear witness to.
[/quote]

You don't think things have changed? All righty. I'll give you an example. In fact, I'll give you an exact quote from your embassy on our forum.

"This is what you have made a conscious decision to move CLOSER to, rather than to people who have proven over and over again that we are loyal, we have your back, and we love you."

For reference sake, I was referring to a thoroughly disgusting, offensive and homophobic image from GOONS mercy boards. Also, to head off your argument, I know that MK has been posting things of a similar nature on Toad's Kitchen for ages. There's a fundamental difference. Folks are there by choice. Folks visit the mercy boards because they have to.

So yeah. Things have changed. Never, in a thousand years, would Archon have chosen to sacrifice MK's relationship with STA over trash like that.

Edited by pezstar

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1288801459' post='2500940']
None. We don't have any extra treaty level friendships at the moment. That said, I, personally, have been thinking a lot about a couple of alliances lately. I like ODN, for example. They're nothing like many of their detractors decry them to be. They're solid, they have proven they value their allies, and they tend to be easy to get along with.
[/quote]
they are very solid Allies, and great friends, not to mention good people.

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1288808873' post='2501025']
So yeah. Things have changed. Never, in a thousand years, would Archon have chosen to sacrifice MK's relationship with STA over trash like that.
[/quote]

Does this make it a bit pointless to ask "what would your opinion be if/when MK were to approach STA about resigning your treaty"?

Second question, where have you guys hidden -Spectre-?

[quote name='Vladisvok Destino' timestamp='1288809284' post='2501029']
Does this make it a bit pointless to ask "what would your opinion be if/when MK were to approach STA about resigning your treaty"?

Second question, where have you guys hidden -Spectre-?
[/quote]

Spectre is around. He's suddenly become busy with some new things happening in the Other Realm.

Also, they didn't approach us about resigning. I don't believe they intended to. We also told them we wouldn't sign.

For reference sake, I was referring to a thoroughly disgusting, offensive and homophobic image from GOONS mercy boards.
[/quote]

Wow, I've never seen one of those on our mercy boards. I suppose it wouldn't be surprising that I don't really consider myself to have the sensibilities of a 12 yr. old girl. C'est la vie.

You don't think things have changed? All righty. I'll give you an example. In fact, I'll give you an exact quote from your embassy on our forum.

"This is what you have made a conscious decision to move CLOSER to, rather than to people who have proven over and over again that we are loyal, we have your back, and we love you."

For reference sake, I was referring to a thoroughly disgusting, offensive and homophobic image from GOONS mercy boards. Also, to head off your argument, I know that MK has been posting things of a similar nature on Toad's Kitchen for ages. There's a fundamental difference. Folks are there by choice. Folks visit the mercy boards because they have to.

[/quote]

I don't think you know Archon as well as you think you do but what you said does confirm exactly what I was thinkign.

You have a fundamental misconception as to the rationale behind our choice in allies. I happen to love STA and have deep respect for the longstanding relationship we once had but I would say **my opinion of course** that one of the biggest factors in the choice to not re-sign with STA is your (unofficial) relationship with a little brown alliance that has been the ire of many within MK for some time and not because of GOONS'love of photoshop and offensive imagery.

I'm surprised you resorted to such simplistic reasoning.

Edited by tamerlane

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1288810452' post='2501043']
Wow, I've never seen one of those on our mercy boards. I suppose it wouldn't be surprising that I don't really consider myself to have the sensibilities of a 12 yr. old girl. C'est la vie.
[/quote]

You're right. I'm of the opinion that if you can't see how someone would find the image in question thoroughly offensive, I'd say you're sensibilities are more akin to those of a 12 year old boy.

[quote name='tamerlane' timestamp='1288810520' post='2501044']
I don't think you know Archon as well as you think you do but what you said does confirm exactly what I was thinkign.

You have a fundamental misconception as to the rationale behind our choice in allies. I happen to love STA and have deep respect for the longstanding relationship we once had but I would say that one of the biggest factors in the choice to not re-sign with STA is your (unofficial) relationship with a little brown alliance that has been the ire of many within MK for some time and not because of GOONS'love of photoshop and offensive imagery.

I'm surprised you resorted to such simplistic reasoning.
[/quote]

It's not simplistic. The bottom line is that a relationship we cultivated for literally years was cut off with no warning. We, just a month before this happened, sat down and had a long talk with MK leadership in which we were assured we had nothing to worry about, and the NSO issue wasn't even brought up. This was a conversation regarding our treaty and our future as allies. Then, just a few weeks later, STA is cut off and we don't hear a peep from MK for three weeks. After we vowed to defend you during your treatyless period, should anyone be so foolish as to think you were friendless just because you were treatyless. The first thing we heard from you was via the OWF when you started announcing new treaties. In the weeks between contact, it occurred to us that we cared a whole lot more for MK than MK cared for STA. We explored several issues, and we made the decision that we wouldn't be re-signing, should it be offered.

In the last few months, we've had several conversations with MK government regarding our friendship and our future relationship. All ended positively. I don't recall NSO ever being brought up as an issue. We did raise issue with a couple of your treaty partners. The response was to remind us that our treaty with MK is not chaining, and we would never have to defend alliances we cannot stand. To say now that NSO was an issue the whole time is kind of a cop out. Especially in light of the fact that, by MK's own reminders to STA, our treaty was non-chaining. In reality, I've heard from several MK members that much of your membership finds us to be insufferable moralists and you'd rather go down the path that is most definitely the opposite of what we would support. We agree with you, for the record. Let's not blame it on our friendship with NSO. Let's just call a spade a spade.

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1288811223' post='2501051']
You're right. I'm of the opinion that if you can't see how someone would find the image in question thoroughly offensive, I'd say you're sensibilities are more akin to those of a 12 year old boy.
[/quote]

You mean 'your sensibilities', I'm sure. If you're (note the proper usage) under the impression that the tendency to gasp and be offended at off-colour humour is appropriate for a man of my age and history, I'll happily readjust your perspective for you. It's depressing how quick some people are to take offense. Also, if you really think GOONS is 'homophobic', I suggest you refresh the definition of the word. The one in your head obviously needs to be replaced.

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1288788320' post='2500814']
This month, we're adding a caveat. Please don't ask us what we think of your alliance. Those questions are stupid and generally self serving. We're just not going to respond to them anymore.
[/quote]
Not a question so much as a "Holy God, thank you!"

Seriously, I hate the "What do you think about my alliance" questions. Thank you for your progressiveness in this matter.

[quote name='Manis B' timestamp='1288812192' post='2501067']
NSO is rad.

What did you think of 10/10/10? Waste of time or Party of the Year?
[/quote]

If the participants had fun and broke up some of the monotony in the Cyberverse, good for them. We were fortunate, though. We knew what was going on and didn't have the 2 weeks of speculation.

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1288801459' post='2500940']
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]I'm actually going to agree with you about ODN. They've long since disearned the "optional" moniker.

Anyway, how excellent is that wonderful grouping of alliances known as Pandora's Box?[/color]

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1288812429' post='2501071']
[color="#0000FF"]
Anyway, how excellent is that wonderful grouping of alliances known as Pandora's Box?[/color]
[/quote]

They're amazing, bro. :awesome:

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1288812429' post='2501071']
[color="#0000FF"]I'm actually going to agree with you about ODN. They've long since disearned the "optional" moniker.

[/quote]

I don't think the leadership of any of the PB alliances are stupid enough to be as bad as most people think they will be.

[quote name='Hadrian' timestamp='1288812504' post='2501072']
What do you think of my-

Nah, I'm kidding. :P

Does a majority of people in the STA think there will be a war this winter?

E: A global one, that is.
[/quote]

We haven't discussed it at all.