Founding an Arab alliance

The MVP

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good.

edit: just remember to have an intelligent and active leadership, and a protectorate agreement with an alliance which is large, and has an intelligent and active leadership, and you'll be fine.

Edited by Solaris

I'll be joining if I get my own 7arem !
On a more serious not, what part of Arabic culture you'd like to "use" ?
I mean there is more than 1400 years of history there ... which era you suggest ? Abassid empire ? Omayade empire ? Fatimid Caliphate ?

edit : spelling

Edited by 4SnwL

[quote name='4SnwL' timestamp='1282842145' post='2431830']
I mean there is more than 1400 years of history there ... which era you suggest ? Abassid empire ? Omayade empire ? Fatimid Caliphate ?

[/quote]

In IRC he seemed interested on the idea of a caliphate (most likely umayyad) when i suggested it, but seemed wary of using the name caliphate, given knee jerk reactions and such.
It'd be good to show people that arabs/muslims can and have been progressive, as the example of an empire that incorporated and preserved most of what we know about classic (greek) culture in their academia, other than christianized plato, stimulated and generated arts, science and philosophy and more or less were the "beacon of civilization" (jab at people who believe in such things) while the rest of the world was backwards.
:v:

[quote name='deSouza' timestamp='1282842937' post='2431837']
In IRC he seemed interested on the idea of a caliphate (most likely umayyad) when i suggested it, but seemed wary of using the name caliphate, given knee jerk reactions and such.
It'd be good to show people that arabs/muslims can and have been progressive, as the example of an empire that incorporated and preserved most of what we know about classic (greek) culture in their academia, other than christianized plato, stimulated and generated arts, science and philosophy and more or less were the "beacon of civilization" (jab at people who believe in such things) [u]while the rest of the world was backwards[/u].
:v:
[/quote]

Uhh, there were other places in the world during and before this period that were doing quiet well.

I also do not see the reason to back off from calling it a Caliphate, that is one of the periods of growth and prosperity.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1282845868' post='2431873']
I also do not see the reason to back off from calling it a Caliphate, that is one of the periods of growth and prosperity.
[/quote]

Maybe because the name Caliphate is linked to religion (The term caliph has it's origin from "Khalifat rassul allah", Representative/successor of the prophet).

[quote name='4SnwL' timestamp='1282846218' post='2431874']
Maybe because the name Caliphate is linked to religion (The term caliph has it's origin from "Khalifat rassul allah", Representative/successor of the prophet).
[/quote]
I know of at least one more religion based alliance already in existence. There ought to be no extra hurdles to a Caliphate than there are to the CCC. Or to the Knights Templar [dunno if it is a christian alliance though, sounds like one].

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1282738262' post='2430702']
So I'm curious how many of you are curious in founding an Arab alliance. Not a quasi-Islamic alliance like we've seen, but a true Arab alliance. Not necessarily full of Arabs but one that's all about Arab culture. I bet Michael von P. would like it...

Anyways I think if we can get this off the ground we can really get it to blow up and get a lot of members. Of course some things would be covered up but that's just how we do things. We'll develop nuclear weapons and everything, hopefully nothing comes about it.

What say you all?
[/quote]

Do I get to wear a turban?

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1282738604' post='2430708']
3alem el 3arab
(Land of the Arabs)
[/quote]
3alem= scientist
3alam= world....which i think the word you are looking for ;)

[quote name='Louisa' timestamp='1282750843' post='2430882']
Install ROMMELHSQ as Emperor, then we can talk details :)
[/quote]
I wouldn't mind to add that realm to the others (TOP and FOK) :P

[quote name='4SnwL' timestamp='1282842145' post='2431830']

[/quote]
1400 years?? i think then you are talking about islamic, not arabic...and all these are more islamic than arabic empires, except maybe the Omayyad's.

[quote name='deSouza' timestamp='1282842937' post='2431837']
[/quote]
If he want to go arabic purely...I think a title of Sheikh is the best.

Gentle Persons

I was always surprised that no alliance was themed upon the Moors. The possibilities are endless and certainly the cultural aspects achieved would have been well worth exploring. In addition you remove much of the RL complications of the Middle East from the table. An example of an empire where religious tolerance and the study of art and science was flourishing.The melding of the culture of three distinct ares to create a new and impressive new culture.

Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis

Rommel, el 3araby el Phillistiny mish el 3araby el Masry. ;)

3alem/3alam = World
M'a3lem = scientist/teacher

Hime Themis - the Moors aren't that interesting nor would it attract many people. The Berbers/Arabs that inhabited Northern Africa were referred to as the "Moors" and wouldn't be a good launching point for a Middle Eastern theme alliance.

Ancient Egypt also isn't Middle Eastern, it centers more on Africa even if it is North African.

Edited by The MVP

Good The MVP

I would agree if the thread said Middle Eastern based alliance. It is however Arab alliance and the Berbers and Moors were most assuredly that. As to them being not very interesting. I would have to disagree they showed amazing religious tolerance, great advances in science and medicine and remarkable works of art. They incorporated the cultures and architecture of many races from Roman time until the 1300s. It encompassed North Africa and most of Spain. If you have not done so I would highly recommend further study. The Berbers were simply the precursors to what became an amazing Moorish culture.That included old Berber and Arab cultures.

Respectfully
Dame Hime Themis

Edited by Hime Themis

There's a reason why Egypt is more of a focal point when discussing this. Egypt has a longer and arguably more unique history than the Moores. Furthermore the structure of ancient Egyptian society allowed for more potential than an ambiguous Arab-Berber alliance.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1282880159' post='2432388']
Ancient Egyptian, however would not be an Arabic Alliance. You could also, as a suggestion consider the Nasser era.
[/quote]

Ancient Egyptian isn't Arabic but it certainly gathers more interest than an Arab alliance would.

Nasser era is riddled with politics of pan-Africanism and pan-Arabism and a road I wouldn't like to take. We could replicate the Suez Canal War with NATO but that would suck. :P

Edited by The MVP

[quote name='ROMMELHSQ' timestamp='1282855265' post='2432005']
1400 years?? i think then you are talking about islamic, not arabic...and all these are more islamic than arabic empires, except maybe the Omayyad's.
[/quote]

Arabs didn't play a major role in history until Islam started... But I could be wron

Also, I disagree with MVP about Moors, however, major parts of their history is still unknown.
Egyptian culture would be interesting, but that won't be a an Arab alliance anymore.

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1282874409' post='2432285']
Rommel, el 3araby el Phillistiny mish el 3araby el Masry. ;)

3alem/3alam = World
M'a3lem = scientist/teacher
[/quote]
sorry but you are wrong.
3alam=world
3alem=scientist
M'a3lem= teacher, or can be even used to describe someone who is leading a profession or a shop.

I'm using the words 3alem and 3alam in the pure arabic language, neither the Palestinian way or masry way of speaking.

[quote name='4SnwL' timestamp='1282908795' post='2432694']
Arabs didn't play a major role in history until Islam started... But I could be wron
[/quote]
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Yemen"]Yemen?[/url]

[quote name='ROMMELHSQ' timestamp='1282949136' post='2433177']
sorry but you are wrong.
3alam=world
3alem=scientist
M'a3lem= teacher, or can be even used to describe someone who is leading a profession or a shop.

I'm using the words 3alem and 3alam in the pure arabic language, neither the Palestinian way or masry way of speaking.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Yemen"]Yemen?[/url]
[/quote]
Well I guess I need special courses on arabic history ...