Transvaal Cup IV - Qualification Round

Botha

[font="Tahoma"][color="#006400"][IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/mc893b.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/66b2v9.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i]Opening kick-off between Rhodesia and Pravus Ingruo at Maputo Stadium[/i][/b]

[i]TRANSVALER DAAGLIKSE SPORTNUUS: [/i]With the major stadiums located in Pretoria, Johannesburg, and Bloemfontein currently unavailable or unusable due to the ongoing war, facilities located in cities such as Gabarone, Windhoek, and Maputo have been pressed into use so that the qualification matches for next month's Transvaal Cup IV can be played. The top eight teams in the ten-team single-game round-robin will advance to the 32-team tournament. Each team in the qualification round will play one match against every other team.

Unfortunately due to scheduling issues and communication problems throughout the Republic, we cannot bring you any match results from the qualification matches. We hope to have full coverage resumed in time for next month's main tournament kick-off.

[i]OOC: FIFA-5 won't give me match results from a 10-team set-up. I also cannot control the AI scheduling[/i][/color][/font]

Edited by Botha

[color="#006400"]Looking at the actual 32-team tournament, in my opinion the teams to watch out for are Deutschland (defending champions), Sooners, Transvaal, Dun Carrig, Mac Land, Arcadian Empire (finalist), The Cheeselands, Tahoe, Cataduanes, and Costa Libertad - with The Children of Odin, Arctica, Viniland, Voobaha, Killallippies, and Kevodia possible spoiler teams. This is the first time both champions and finalist have returned, so any possible match-ups between them will be keenly watched.[/color]

[quote name='Botha' date='17 February 2010 - 07:02 PM' timestamp='1266462141' post='2188688']
[i]OOC: FIFA-5 won't give me match results from a 10-team set-up. I also cannot control the AI scheduling[/i][/quote]

OOC: Ouch Botha, that's a nasty bug to have in FIFA-5. As a fellow statmonkey, I'd be losing my mind over that. :)

[quote name='Voobaha' date='18 February 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1266510332' post='2189739']
OOC: Ouch Botha, that's a nasty bug to have in FIFA-5. As a fellow statmonkey, I'd be losing my mind over that. :)
[/quote]

[color="#006400"]Ja, I don't like [i]FIFA'05[/i] for the tournament set-up. [i]FIFA'02[/i] which I used for the first 2 Transvaal Cup had an awesome tournament and stats set-up and even allowed for customisation of team formations and playing style. Last year's Cup wasn't so much a problem because there were 16 teams in the qualification so I could set it up differently than I had to for the 10 qualifying team this year. Unfortunately my PC now has a glitch when I now try to run FIFA'02.

Now I think about it, what I *should* have done is added two 'dummy' teams into the mix (like Windhoek Welwitschia and Kaapstad Hornets) so there was 12 teams to work with. Anything not divisible by 4 becomes a real headache in FIFA'05.[/color]

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='18 February 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1266537303' post='2190573']
OOC: Oh you got to be kidding me.[/quote]

Yeah I am actually quite surprised by your teams performance so far considering you ended up with a slightly-stronger than typcial for a first-time entry. I was expecting you to be up in the top 3, but then there is still 7 more matches for you to play.

At the end of the entire tournament I'll reveal which teams everyone had assigned, so don't bother asking me now who you have got.

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='18 February 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1266537303' post='2190573']What does the line mean?[/quote]

[color="#006400"]You need to finish above the line to qualify for the main 32-team tournament in March.[/color]

[b]FCN, ROME[/b] - With a second straight loss placing the national team in 8th, the last spot for advancement into the actual World Cup, concerning is abounding among many Federation fans. While the team's defense has been strong, only allowing 3 goals in 4 games, their offense has been non-existent, scoring only one goal in that period.

With so much offensive talent on the team, many are beginning to speculate whether the manager may be offed should the team drop below the line needed for Cup entry.

Every living person in Debate Land seems a bit down after two straight losses, but with the team still in the race for qualifying, in 7th place at this time, it still allows the citizens to have a smile on their face, knowing that even just after a brutal war, their team was still in the running. Though, many citizens could be heard praising the defense, but not giving much love to the offensive part of the team.

[b][color="#FF8C00"][size="4"]QUALIFICATION STANDINGS AFTER DAY 6[/size][/color][/b]
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/dqmcm8.jpg[/IMG]

[color="#000080"]Sorry for no update yesterday - I played out the matches but forgot to post the update. The qualification standings are now current as of today's matches.

At this point, with 16 points I can officially confirm that Cascade has qualified for the main event. Right now the points theshold is 13 so any team that gets more than 13 points will be advancing to the 32-team tournament next month. No team has been eliminated yet although if Rhodesia doesn't pick up a win in their next match I think they'll be done.[/color]

Edited by Botha

the people in Debate Land were seen with many a smile on a face, feeling that the team was on the verge of victory. Noticing the jump right back into 2nd place overall, it was simply amazing to many a citizen on just how much the team had shown improvement, having gone 2-0-1 in their past 3 games, as well as showing some sort of offensive output. Either way, the government is planning a large celebration, should the team finish strong in their qualifications...

With the fourth win, Promised Land fans are overjoyed to see that they have qualified for the tournament.

Having never before competed in the Transvaal Cup, hopes were high but expectations low that their team would perform so admirably, and the jubilant fans are dancing in the streets.

[quote name='Fizzydog' date='25 February 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1267141808' post='2203882']OOCLY, I really need this reward cash, my nation is almost in debt. :unsure:[/quote]

You DO realise this is *just* the qualification round. There is still the main tournament with 32 teams which you'd need to get past to get any $$$.

Most folks enter the tournament for bragging rights. The $$$ is just a nice distraction.

Edited by Botha

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='25 February 2010 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1267139898' post='2203807']With the fourth win, Promised Land fans are overjoyed to see that they have qualified for the tournament.[/quote]
[color="#000080"]
Yes, your team looked a little shaky there at the start but proceeded to quietly edge its way up the standings. [/color]