I Need Some Feedback

Achilleus

Exploratory Poll  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the deal:

I'm slightly toying with the idea of founding an alliance in the not-too-distant future, and I'd prefer it to be founded on something in or about the ancient Mediterranean world (Classics is my university major, and it's jsut where I'm at).

Now, I get that this will appeal to a minority, but I want to find out whether it's a tiny or a sizeable minority before I start sweating blood over a charter, forum, recruitment, etc.

When you respond to this poll, please keep in mind that it disregards all other issues: tech-raiding, Team color, blah blah blah. Pretend you're looking for an alliance (whether you are or aren't), that it's your ideal vision of a small alliance, but it just happens to have a classical theme.

Feedback, por favor . . .

Edited by Achilleus

Well, you don't have to be Greek or Roman to like that theme, and "I hate Greeks/Romans" should sum up every other than loving them. But I changed it for you. :)

I know that there's an Athens, Sparta, and Roman Empire, but that's about it, really. I would call it something else: Hellenic, Aetolian, or maybe Aegean. But the Egyptian idea isn't bad.

Edited by Achilleus

Well we already have Athens, Sparta, Legion, Imperium Romanum, the Roman Empire, Troy, Carthage (I know the last two aren't really greek/roman, it's close enough), and probably more that I didn't catch... it's a good theme, but it's already overly represented. Personally I'd go for something more original, but that's me.

I my opinion, they are well represented in CN, not to say you shouldn't pursue it though.

I concur.

Voted option 3.

I'd prefer a horror themed one... I'd just love to see a Cthulhu/Lovecraft themed alliance.

Of the above posts, I like the Egyptian thing idea.

Pursue your dreams mate, just remember though, that you might not get the large support the others do because 1: they are already well established and have many of the people that would join an alliance with that theme, and 2: you'd be new, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, it'll be tough at first.

I'd say pursue your dreams if you can. Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you land amongst the stars.

No, because I don't join an alliance based on a theme. I go by their reputation, activity, and membership; and opportunities I would have there too.

But in my first post I said to assume that all those things were exactly as you wanted them (that's what the "blah blah blah" meant), thus leaving only the theme to consider.

But in my first post I said to assume that all those things were exactly as you wanted them (that's what the "blah blah blah" meant), thus leaving only the theme to consider.

I'm sorry, I guess I rushed through the opening post.

In that case I believe my opinion would still be the same, the last option. I have nothing against it but it's not really up my ally (never been a history guy).

Edited by Drai

Whoa, whoa . . . Troy and Carthage? Never heard of them before. I'll have to look 'em up.

Edit: I mean in CN, obviously

Troy is FoB's protectorate...

Also, I really don't care much about an alliance's theme. If I did, I probably would've joined Mushroom Kingdom.

I certainly didn't join The Corporation because it had a corporation theme and I think most experienced CN players feel the same way. Getting an interesting theme is good for recruiting young nations though.

Here's my response:

Oh my god! Me too! I love the ancient Mediterranean world! (Classics is my university major too! And I jsut love it! Truly I do!)

Now, you'll have to understand that till will only appeal to a minority, but I want you to know that I love it! I'd jsut like to see a charter/forum etc.

When talking about this alliance, I think we should keep in mind whether or not we'll allow tech raiding, what color we'll be on etc., etc., etc.. But for now I'll just pretend I found the best alliance ever (even though I have not), and I'd like to point out that this is my ideal vision, which happens to have a classical theme.

Repondez vous.

Edited by This Charming Man

When talking about this alliance, I think we should keep in mind wheter or not we'll allow tech raiding, what color we'll be on etc., etc., etc.. But for now I'll just pretend I found the best alliance ever (even though I'm not), and I'd like to point out that this is my ideal vision, which happens to have a classical theme.

Repondez vous.

I get the message, but young nations respond to a popular theme that's catchy and attracts membership (also maybe RPing on the forum), so the first consdieration does need to be theme and aesthetic appeal. The solidity and functionality of an alliance will only appeal to those who are old and experienced enough to look for it, and odds are I'm not going to get a bunch of pros signing up in the first two days.

Could you elaborate a little on your idea?

Like... what things of this ancient culture would you take to your alliance's structure?

Names, government, military and economic structure, views on politics and war...

How much would your alliance's theme influence your moves on the FA department? Would you aim to get treaties/wars with other ancient cultures themed alliances just because of the theme, trying to recreate the history of those civilizations?

I get the message, but young nations respond to a popular theme that's catchy and attracts membership...

I disagree here. I think the best way to get a new nation to join you is by sending sexy recruitment messages. You may have the coolest alliance ever and never get new recruits because of a poor message and vice versa.

Good question.

The only thing for certain that would carry that theme is the name and flag -- titles for officials might see a carryover, but that's no sticking point. It wouldn't carry over to other alliances (not necessarily reaching out to Athens, Sparta, etc.).

A few people who are in on this with me would be involved in RPs, but that ain't goin' anywhere, I can tell you that right now.

I disagree here. I think the best way to get a new nation to join you is by sending sexy recruitment messages. You may have the coolest alliance ever and never get new recruits because of a poor message and vice versa.

Very true. I just mean that the community has to be appealing -- if you're into Lord of the Rings or Medieval stuff (choke! blah! ack!), you probably won't get a kick out of RPing or getting involved in something that's such a drastic departure from what you like.

Very true. I just mean that the community has to be appealing -- if you're into Lord of the Rings or Medieval stuff (choke! blah! ack!), you probably won't get a kick out of RPing or getting involved in something that's such a drastic departure from what you like.

True. Back in the day I was a little interested in joining The Order of the Black Rose but after reading about them I didn't feel like RPing that.

Said that, to catch more people, the theme of the alliance must be kinda mainstream, no matter if it's about an ancient civilization, ie; I bet more people would feel attracted towards an Egyptian themed alliance than a Mamluk Sultanate themed one.

Another example could be Star Wars. Most people know who are the Sith and who are the Jedi and the statistics of these alliances reflect that. Now, if you go and start an alliance about the Otolla, I'm afraid it wouldn't get more than 5 members.

The Greek and Roman themes are played out, we're allied to three and I can count at least a half dozen more. Besides that there's already Mongols, Huns, Aztecs, Atlantis, Germans, Prussians, American Indians, Finns, Brits, Canadians, Russians, Japanese, Norse, Egyptians, Filipinos, Dutch... you name it, it's probably been done. If you're going for an ancient civilization theme I'd suggest a sub-Saharan Africa theme. It's about the only one that hasn't been done to my knowledge.

But then there's the best option of all, don't leave us! :)