Technology Stats Help

Voodoo Nova

[quote name='Fizzydog' timestamp='1299909639' post='2661077']
I'll still build that. I don't plan on RPing the Atlas Empire long, so maybe when I get a new nation I can build it with you cochin, no? :3

Of course, can I ask, michi, why you want polar bears? Seems like an...interesting idea.
[/quote]

Building such a colossal wall is an economic RP opportunity I would never miss, ;)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you are not exactly an equator bound nation thermal insulation wont be much of a challenge. As regards protection, forget about it!! You can never protect such a large and delicate structure against any military attack. As to the power, it will not be cheap. It will be a gargantuan drain on your power grid. But then of course if a Cochin company is building it, one or two TROPS reactors could also be installed as part of the deal, :D

[quote name='Chernarussia' timestamp='1300269623' post='2666399']
could i take one of these - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_class_patrol_boat

and replace the 40mm cannon with one of these? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_45_5%22/54
[/quote]

No, To replace a 40mm gun with a 127 mm gun you would need extensive redesigning of the hull which would change it from designation of a patrol boat. Your ship would need to be bigger to withstand the force of firing those guns, bigger magazines etc. That would effectively make it a corvette or higher.

• 3 weeks later...

Taking this out of the GM's court...

[quote name='Emperor Mudd' timestamp='1301978474' post='2684479']
Yes I'm quite serious.

5 years working in biology research, 3 or so at a cancer research center. 4th year medical student and in a few months emergency medicine resident. :smug:
[/quote]

I wasn't contesting your credentials; I was contesting your "highly unlikely at the current time" statement. It is unlikely to merge EBOV and [i]V. v. major[/i] (as I explicitly stated); it is, however, 100% feasible/plausible/possible to implant EHF-related genes (the precipitating disease caused by EBOV) into a viral vector. That's how the Russians did it... they used recombinant gene expression via what I would presume to be a expression vector (since they were only intending to get the EHF out of the EBOV information).

[quote]More recently, Alibek claims, the Vector researchers may have created a recombinant Ebola-smallpox
chimera. One could call it Ebolapox. Ebola virus uses the molecule RNA for its genetic code, whereas
smallpox uses DNA. Alibek believes that the Russian researchers made a DNA copy of the disease-causing
parts of Ebola, then grafted them into smallpox. Alibek said he thinks that the Ebolapox virus is stable -- that
is, that it will replicate successfully in a test tube or in animals -- which means that, once created, Ebolapox
will live forever in a laboratory, and will not uncreate itself. Thus a new form of life may have been brought
into the world.

"The Ebolapox could produce the form of smallpox called blackpox," Alibek says. Blackpox, sometimes
known as hemorrhagic smallpox, is the most severe type of smallpox disease. In a blackpox infection, the skin
does not develop blisters. Instead, the skin becomes dark all over. Blood vessels leak, resulting in severe
internal hemorrhaging. Blackpox is invariably fatal. "As a weapon, the Ebolapox would give the hemorrhages
and high mortality rate of Ebola virus, which would give you a blackpox, plus the very high contagiousness of
smallpox," Alibek said.[/quote]
[sup]Source: http://mcdb.colorado.edu/courses/4350.2006/Biowarfare/The%20Bioweaponeers.pdf[/sup]

[quote]The Soviet defector-scientist, Colonel Kanatjan
Alibekov, known as Ken Alibek, attests that Soviet
scientists have developed a recombinant chimera of the
Ebola and smallpox genomes. The ebolapox hybrid would
cause pruritic smallpox, or ‘blackpox’, due to severe
haemorrhagic pustulation of the skin lesions. Ebolapox
would thus combine the violent haemorrhaging and high
fatality rate characteristic of the Ebola virus and the
contagiousness of the smallpox virus with resultant near-
100 per cent fatality rates (Zubay et al. 2005, 73-6)6.[/quote]
[sup]Source: http://rusinsw.org.au/Papers/2008SP02.pdf[/sup]

[quote]
Yet we know that this is only a limited scenario. The potential of chemical and biological
warfare has been with us for most of the 20th century. As Sheridan reported recently, in many
centres, in many countries, it would seem that the capacity to produce biological weaponry is
well established. In less than two months after Sheridan’s article global discussion has moved
from ‘capacity to produce’ to ‘possibility of use’ to ‘actual use’. Sheridan’s writing is evocative.
Anthrax – the ‘gold standard of biological warfare…(with)…a 100% mortality rate’; Ebolapox –
the ’most genetically engineered combination’; Smallpox – ‘no one is immune to it now that it
theoretically no longer exists…it is assumed that some of the cultures have been sold to rogue
states’; Plague or Black Death – ‘drug resistant varieties have been developed’. He concludes:

[i]Nothing, not even a nuclear weapon, is so singularly well designed for the use of
sophisticated terrorists…Mankind (sic) thought the spectre of the plague was banished by
antibiotics and modern drugs. But now we have invented new plagues that can defeat even
our drugs.[/i]
(Sheridan, 2001)[/quote]
[sup]Source: http://www.acsa.edu.au/pages/images/2001_technology_education.pdf[/sup]

Additional source: http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=UjfyzpIOZ5kC&oi=fnd&pg=PA59&dq=Is+ebolapox+real%3F&ots=EpDudD3-fr&sig=aNAq8lvugxkffkbITVfGqRdWrBA#v=onepage&q=ebolapox&f=false

I will admit, though, that I misread some of the information. The first smallpox hybrid was made in the 1990's, not the 1970's, which does, in fact, make a lot more sense. <_< I was kind of second-guessing the '70s thing since genetic techniques required for something like this would be rather intense... to be honest, I couldn't imagine doing DNA/RNA extractions without the help of Illumina DGE and other nifty toys we have today. :unsure:

Edited by SpacingOutMan

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1302488764' post='2688234']
After the airfield is constructed, a underground airfield (50-100 meters deep, landing/takeoff paths slant toward the surface).
[/quote]
I eagerly await the coming abundance of horrible, fiery crashes.

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1302555103' post='2688721']
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13033437"]Laser gun stuff[/url]

Theres a read for those interested in laser weaponary. Thought it might be interesting.
[/quote]

The US Navy has been using THEL systems since 2005 as acting C-RAM (Counter Rocketry, Artillery, and Missiles).

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' timestamp='1302555460' post='2688725']
The US Navy has been using THEL systems since 2005 as acting C-RAM (Counter Rocketry, Artillery, and Missiles).
[/quote]

Yeah I know just spotted this article whilst surfing the news headlines and thought you guys might like to read it.

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1302555874' post='2688735']
Yeah I know just spotted this article whilst surfing the news headlines and thought you guys might like to read it.
[/quote]

It was interesting, especially how they are using HELs to defeat other water-craft.

Those types of lasers are pretty much the only weapon in the 21st century thats going to make surface combatants at all capable of surviving against a high or medium tech adversary operating anywhere within 1000 miles of a coast. I've been employing them aboard my warships since 2008.

To go along with Kevin's link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42574651/ns/world_news-africa/

They successfully tested Free Electron Lasers (FEL), or rather what I [i]presume[/i] to be a FEL. They tested a steady-state laser. Seeing as how FELs and HELs are so similar, I'm not sure if it was just called an HEL in the article or if they abandoned the FEL project for the Zumwalt-class Destroyer and are taking on HELs.

[quote]NAIROBI, Kenya — A ship-based laser tested by the Navy's research arm could put the heat on Somali pirates.

The Navy for the first time last week successfully tested a solid-state high-energy laser from a ship. The beam, which was aimed at a boat moving through turbulent Pacific Ocean waters, set the target's engine on fire.

The Office of Naval Research says the laser traveled over "miles, not yards." For now, the test is a proof of concept, and it's not yet known when it might be deployed as a weapon.

The baseball-sized laser beam, though, could be used to stop small crafts from approaching naval ships. It could also target pirates.

"You can use the laser to ward off an attack, or you can dial it down to a non-lethal level where it basically becomes a very bright light so they know they are being targeted," Michael Deitchman, the director of air warfare and weapons at the Office of Naval Research, said Wednesday.

Deitchman said the laser provides two benefits not seen in other military weapons. The laser is precise, unlike bullets that can ricochet and hit unintended targets, and the laser's strength can be dialed down from a lethal level to a nuisance level.

Graeme Gibbon-Brooks, the head of Dryad Maritime Intelligence, said the test was "remarkable" for how the Navy was able to concentrate the beam over such a long distance at sea, and given how the boat was being tossed about in rough water.

"Hats off to the U.S. Navy because that is very, very impressive," he said. "It was pitching and rolling and yet they got this very fine beam to focus on one part of an engine casing. That they managed to keep the energy in one place is remarkable."[/quote]

Edited by SpacingOutMan

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1302727930' post='2690175']
How much does a short ton (2000 pounds) of graphene cost?
[/quote]

For electronics-grade? An astronomical sum because reliable techniques to mass produce it haven't been developed yet.

Edited by iKrolm

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1302727930' post='2690175']
How much does a short ton (2000 pounds) of graphene cost?
[/quote]

[quote]Multiwall CNTs (MWCNTs) tend to be metallic as chances are good that at least one of the nested shells is metallic, but the 3 semiconducting shells may still be dead weight. Cost is also a significant issue, as SWCNTs can cost ~$100,000/kg, and MWCNTs can cost ~$5,000/kg, while activated carbon costs just ~$15/kg.[/quote]

Source: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA528738

That is the closest "estimate" I could find for graphene/CNT costs.

Assuming that it is around $50,000/kg, and there are 907.18474 kilograms in one short ton, you would be looking at $45,359,237 per short ton. That is kind of a lot.

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' timestamp='1302732767' post='2690207']
Source: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA528738

That is the closest "estimate" I could find for graphene/CNT costs.

Assuming that it is around $50,000/kg, and there are 907.18474 kilograms in one short ton, you would be looking at $45,359,237 per short ton. That is kind of a lot.
[/quote]

That's for the carbon nanotubes, not graphene.

Edited by iKrolm