Technology Stats Help

Voodoo Nova

[quote name='BaronUberstein' timestamp='1293537288' post='2556147']
What's with the nanotechnology in CNRP as of late? I remember when people laughed at the the word Nano around here.

Maybe I'm just tired and confused, but it would be great if the boundaries were cleared up for me.
[/quote]
About a year ago, there was a new technique for mass producing nanofibers. The link to the article is somewhere in my old GLP factbook. Though I'm not sure if the mass production of nanobatteries and carbon nanotubes can be achieved by 2021. Mass production of grahpene is feasible, but for some reason no manufacturers have coughed up the money to build graphene production facilities.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbon nanofibers? Yes, that is very doable as they mass produce them as of [b]right now[/b] in multiple industries (sailboat sails, awning sheets, etc.).

Carbon nanotubes? No, that isn't possible until way after 2020 (most recent estimates pin it at around 2027) for mass production.

Nanobatteries, although still in their infancy, are producible now and will be available for mass production in the coming five years.

[quote name='Kevin Kingswell' timestamp='1293573675' post='2556537']
Does it really matter that much about ETC weapons. I mean we all know when an actual battle is fought out all it will be is one side saying they lose X number of tanks and the other person says the same and either the fight continues along such a route or one person complains OCC or to a GM?
[/quote]
It's just a way to express our "lolteching". :awesome:

[quote name='KaiserMelech Mikhail' timestamp='1293577330' post='2556584']
You just lost all your internet points.
[/quote]

Mr. HHAYD, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Your quote reminded me of that Kaiser. :v:

Edited by SpacingOutMan

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' timestamp='1293582921' post='2556696']
Mr. HHAYD, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Your quote reminded me of that Kaiser. :v:
[/quote]
Um...

Megabyte, on Jan 6 2009, 07:03 AM, said:
[quote]Sir, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read to it. I lock this thread, and may God have mercy on your soul.[/quote]

Good job on being original. Really, I'm [i]not[/i] kidding.

Edited by HHAYD

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='King Timmy' timestamp='1295345446' post='2581050']
With the 1000 nmi range of their sonar, it would not take long.
[/quote]

Hey Timmy, do you have a source on that? I don't think 1000 nm is possible, much less on a submarine.

[quote name='iKrolm' timestamp='1295415110' post='2582892']
Hey Timmy, do you have a source on that? I don't think 1000 nm is possible, much less on a submarine.
[/quote]

Yea I read it somewhere, i'll try find it again.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong :(

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/UksMostPowerfulSubmarineJoinsTheNavy.htm

It's 3000nm :) Gotta love the British for that. Get ready for some lol-ISEEYOU-RP.

Edited by King Timmy

My Yankee class attack submarine is also based on Astute class, but really 3000 NM? how does that work? Or is it the ability to analyse data from that distance which travels over the thermals etc? Like how sonar gets reflected across various sonographic layers? Is that what it means?

From my understanding of sonar, submarines can pick up acoustic signals from very far away, much like how whales communicate over long distances. However ability to get signals does not mean ability to locate or engage. Due to the way acoustic signals propagate, it could be at any distance as a variable of the wavelength of the signal (I think). So yes, your sonar systems may have ability to receive signals from that far, but to triangulate you need an active sonar ping or some sort of triangulation system. So I really doubt you would be able to search and destroy it just based on that sonar especially at that range. If you have aerial and satellite assets to coordinate with the sub hunt assisting these subs you would be able to destroy it.

[quote name='king of cochin' timestamp='1295534381' post='2586310']
From my understanding of sonar, submarines can pick up acoustic signals from very far away, much like how whales communicate over long distances. However ability to get signals does not mean ability to locate or engage. Due to the way acoustic signals propagate, it could be at any distance as a variable of the wavelength of the signal (I think). So yes, your sonar systems may have ability to receive signals from that far, but to triangulate you need an active sonar ping or some sort of triangulation system. So I really doubt you would be able to search and destroy it just based on that sonar especially at that range. If you have aerial and satellite assets to coordinate with the sub hunt assisting these subs you would be able to destroy it.
[/quote]
Basically, they know "There's [b]someone[/b] [i]somewhere[/i] in that direction", but they've no idea about the distance?

[quote name='Lynneth' timestamp='1295540933' post='2586504']
Basically, they know "There's [b]someone[/b] [i]somewhere[/i] in that direction", but they've no idea about the distance?
[/quote]

Precisely. There is no way without triangulation that you can target a sub at such extreme ranges. Active sonar will not give target solutions at such ranges

Well this is all assumptions, for all we know Thales have found some way to detect speed and direction at 3000nm. It's doubtful that they have, but I can live with "there's something there" at 3000nm. You can't engage other subs from a sub till you're at 65km anyhow with a spearfish torpedo so it doesn't really matter.

I was reading Christian Wolmar’s book [i]Engines of War: How Wars Were Won and Lost on the Railways[/i] and am now wondering how battle trains should be represented in CNRP. Would an armoured train constitute a tank slot? What about railway guns? Would something with the size and guns of a Soviet second world war Hurban Armoured Train count a multiple tanks?

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/12inchRailwayHowitzersMkVCatterick12December1940.jpg[/img]
12-inch Mk V howitzers

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Pancierovy_vlak-Zvolen.jpg[/img]Hurban Armoured Train

Edited by Generalissimo

[quote name='Generalissimo' timestamp='1295641403' post='2589467']
I was reading Christian Wolmar’s book [i]Engines of War: How Wars Were Won and Lost on the Railways[/i] and am now wondering how battle trains should be represented in CNRP. Would an armoured train constitute a tank slot? What about railway guns? Would something with the size and guns of a Soviet second world war Hurban Armoured Train count a multiple tanks?
[/quote]
This is a tricky one. I think that they shouldn't have a limit simply because of how useless they are on the battlefield. They're extremely slow-moving, and can only go where the rail lines are. Plus, since you're probably the only one who's going to RP it, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Limits in CNRP has generally been placed on weapon systems that have tactical applications in CNRP war. Railway artillery like those fall into the realm of the obsolete, but still present some real challenges in design, construction and operation. In today's world of satellite reconnaissance, you just cannot hide such a weapon or the special tracks required by them. If someone forgoes these liabilities and wants to use them, I see no reason why not for the flavor of RP it brings, so long as the number is reasonable.

I dont think any sort of calculation would be needed for such a thing.