A Question

Il Terra Di Agea

Just a consideration people might like to consider for this.

Building a space ship of decent size say like a battleship will take years unless you build them really small and then we have to work out what weaponary would be used as I doubt modern shell based armament would work that well in space to be honest. Also you have the problem of deciding whether everyone has to have the same FTL drive system or if we can make our own up.

Il be honest making a multi-system large scale space RP is a very trying and difficult process, I know as I have tried it myself. The best thought might be having it within one extremly large solar system and keeping the actual combat figures small scale though this can lead to its own problems.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a consideration people might like to consider for this.

Building a space ship of decent size say like a battleship will take years unless you build them really small and then we have to work out what weaponary would be used as I doubt modern shell based armament would work that well in space to be honest. Also you have the problem of deciding whether everyone has to have the same FTL drive system or if we can make our own up.

Il be honest making a multi-system large scale space RP is a very trying and difficult process, I know as I have tried it myself. The best thought might be having it within one extremly large solar system and keeping the actual combat figures small scale though this can lead to its own problems.

So if you take a lot of the industrial capacity of earth and apply it to a large space ship it would take several years? Also, people who do armaments based mostly off of current tech use rockets as weaponry.

A shortcut through time and space, making travel instantaneous.

As long as you can't go back, I wouldn't mind.

As for King Kevz, I think that the timescale will still be ambiguous and I'm not sure, but we may be able to use Plasma and Directed Energy for weapons here. I think this is iming for total science fiction by the way discussions are going.

Also, I'm still in favor of the multi solar system system.

Edited by Cody Seb

I would be more than willing to be a neutral party. For example, I could keep all the stats in one database, edit in on request, keep "secret" weapons secret..

on top of that, I wouldn't be RPing my own civilization for I am too fond of CNRP for me to take on another.

third, I could do random events and stuff. for instance, if there's a time of peace I could do a random event where Minor Civ A and Minor Civ B provoke each other - and a random number generator determines who gets picked. That person gets to decide what to do about the random event and they can get a bonus, whether it be intelligence, military, economics, etc.

oh, and the bonuses/negatives are all hidden, unlike CN events, that way you respond to them in a logical manner instead of a "which gives me more stats"

it makes it a bit more interesting, and random events are one of my favorite parts of the civilization series. It could mean you discover a planet that nobody else has (hidden due to a nearby black hole, perhaps?) and once you have enough land you can take it for yourself, or it could mean that your blasters get upgraded and you have +10% efficiency. On another side, you could have a "spy" event where you could find out information about the other people, or there could be a strong solar wind that leaves your planet vulnerable.

that way it keeps things interesting and not all about war.

Edited by Sargun

So if you take a lot of the industrial capacity of earth and apply it to a large space ship it would take several years? Also, people who do armaments based mostly off of current tech use rockets as weaponry.

Yes it would take several years becuase you would not be building just one at a time as that would be very inefficent for replacing and maintaining your fleets numbers. Not to mention that having an entire planet's infra devoted to ship building means one very poor and left behind ground population and don't forget you will need to focus on repairing and maintaining said ships.

Also yes rockets would be good if you can get a good and efficent enough drive system.

I think I like Sargun's idea, but I'm afraid for balance. That being said, I'm more than willing to try it.

I would, of course, make sure that somebody doesn't get three negatives in a row or something. And the random events would mainly be minor - the major ones would be rarer and more difficult to get the best reward.

I would, of course, make sure that somebody doesn't get three negatives in a row or something. And the random events would mainly be minor - the major ones would be rarer and more difficult to get the best reward.

I like your system Sargun but it still leaves a large number of questions still hanging. My main question is will we all be using the same technology or will we be limited to certain tech dependant on our IG tech level? Also how do we work out a way to factor in people's technology ideas?

I like your system Sargun but it still leaves a large number of questions still hanging. My main question is will we all be using the same technology or will we be limited to certain tech dependant on our IG tech level? Also how do we work out a way to factor in people's technology ideas?

Instead of 2000 tech being ten years in the future of a 1000 tech civilization, they would be slightly more efficient, better repaired, you could build ships faster and you might get an additional response to a random event. The higher technology, the slightly better your economy - but it widens the gap between the rich and the poor.

As for technology ideas, this is using futuristic technology. Nobody knows exactly what things can do. I would suggest everyone can have their own special units but we just assume they all work with the same principles: laser weapons, energy missiles, things like that. And speeds would be relatively the same for each class of ship that you have: interceptors are faster than fighters, no matter who builds them.

And everyone could be allotted two "super weapons" - special, private (or public if you wish) weapons that aren't all-powerful but stronger than your normal things and usage is devised on strength: if it's a machine that allows you to build weapons uber fast, you can only use it in war-time and only for two battles or something. That way it balances out.

I would be more than willing to be a neutral party. For example, I could keep all the stats in one database, edit in on request, keep "secret" weapons secret..

on top of that, I wouldn't be RPing my own civilization for I am too fond of CNRP for me to take on another.

third, I could do random events and stuff. for instance, if there's a time of peace I could do a random event where Minor Civ A and Minor Civ B provoke each other - and a random number generator determines who gets picked. That person gets to decide what to do about the random event and they can get a bonus, whether it be intelligence, military, economics, etc.

oh, and the bonuses/negatives are all hidden, unlike CN events, that way you respond to them in a logical manner instead of a "which gives me more stats"

it makes it a bit more interesting, and random events are one of my favorite parts of the civilization series. It could mean you discover a planet that nobody else has (hidden due to a nearby black hole, perhaps?) and once you have enough land you can take it for yourself, or it could mean that your blasters get upgraded and you have +10% efficiency. On another side, you could have a "spy" event where you could find out information about the other people, or there could be a strong solar wind that leaves your planet vulnerable.

that way it keeps things interesting and not all about war.

That was actually something I was considering, running random space evens like I run my own weather, just on a large scale. Doing things like "A star goes into a super nova, shooting radiation out. Al people in thise area are unable to send large ships out of their solar systems"

holy !@#$

you know that link I posted earlier? for every terrestrial (inhabitable) planet it contains detailed information, including a full-scale map.

EXAMPLE

edit: HOLY !@#$ IT EVEN HAS "TECHNOLOGY LEVELS" AND "SPECIAL FEATURES"

I'M IN LOVE

It is nice, but I ceratinly don't want to be bound by it. I want to be able to use my nation for my stats and be able to name my own planets. Plus Freakwars put up the planetary generator that gives you more control on its surface.

It is nice, but I ceratinly don't want to be bound by it. I want to be able to use my nation for my stats and be able to name my own planets. Plus Freakwars put up the planetary generator that gives you more control on its surface.

I intend fully to make my own planets, and I have all the equipment to make maps of them

Space_by_Voi_Asino.png

:awesome:

This thing with solar systems might actually be cool if we took it completly away from CNRP. Just get a random solar system that you control, and the bonuses for the planets are yours and technology and all that. Could be interesting.

I would much prefer this to a CN-based roleplay, but either way I'm in.