A Question

Il Terra Di Agea

That sounds good. Although naval ships have to have a good benefit, like being huge ships that are very effective, or orbital installations or something.

I thought about the huge ship one, but that would still be a massive benefit. I like the orbital instalation idea.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've been saying a lot on here lol, but I'd also think curbing the importance of stats for this roleplay could have a benefit, make it more friendly and slightly less competitive. I.E. I think there's a predisposition for people to want to war with this sort of setting and genre, as every sci-fi movie I've seen except E.T. has to do with war.

Also, everybody would need a space navy, even if they don't have an IG navy. Why? becuase otherwise somebody who did have navy could bombard your planet into a lifeless rock in space. I suggest we use tanks as ships.

Tanks as ships? Nah...there could still easily be ground-based battles once planetary defenses are evaded, captured or destroyed. Planes could translate as space fighters and strategic bombers.

No need to have a navy, though, when planetary defenses might do the job of dealing with space navies... :awesome:

That sounds good. Although naval ships have to have a good benefit, like being huge ships that are very effective, or orbital installations or something.
I thought about the huge ship one, but that would still be a massive benefit. I like the orbital instalation idea.

I like the orbital instalation thing, too... :D

That solves the planetary map issue, but we would still need a galactic map with all the systems and planets.

We could just take a map with the starry backround and draw solar systems on it.

Tanks as ships? Nah...there could still easily be ground-based battles once planetary defenses are evaded, captured or destroyed. Planes could translate as space fighters and strategic bombers.

No need to have a navy, though, when planetary defenses might do the job of dealing with space navies... :awesome:

tanks could be tanks and ships at the same time. Plus, space stuff is no fun without epic space battles :awesome:

Edited by freakwars

I feel the same way Lynneth does I suppose. I'm not sure how I feel about aliens (Don't really have a problem as long as wars aren't decided by their physical advantages), but I would like very futuristic technology and perhaps each person's nation is a planet, the type of which could be whatever they choose.

From my rules I've been thinking over, species would be on a sort of give and take as far as their abilities. For example:

1: A ninety foot tall stone golem controlled by sentient moss would be stupid, as it has no reason to be intelligent, it would be the top of the food chain, and it would have very poor technology as it couldn't manipulate tools

2: The smartest creature in the galaxy/ galaxies would be physically weak, because that is the only reason it would have to evolve massive intelligence

3: A hive mind species would either be universally stupid, because everyone would have average IQ, unless you kill off your population to only have the most intelligent, in which case you have no soldiers

I could go on.

Or perhaps...instead of land miles...they could control AU's... :D

I've thrown around a few land ideas, and I was going to choose what to do by what people would want. What I have so far is:

1: Having some conversion rate of say 500 land=1 Inhabitable planet Planet, and 200 land= Each Uninhabitable planet

2: A similar conversion, but each 500 or so land= 1 Solar System

3: Some obvious system that I'm blanking out on

What if every 500 miles=1 planet? You could conquer others of course.

I should have read the whole topic first, but great minds think alike I suppose :awesome:

Also, everybody would need a space navy, even if they don't have an IG navy. Why? becuase otherwise somebody who did have navy could bombard your planet into a lifeless rock in space. I suggest we use tanks as ships.

My preliminary rule idea is that tanks go to land based vehicles that could be dropped onto the planet from space. Air force would be like space fighters and medium space ships with a crew limit of 100-500 that could not handle atmosphere, but could bombard a planet. Navy would go to things like space frigates with crew in the thousands that could bombard planets easily, and need to be built in space. Then things like massive ships (Like things with crews in the 10,000s to the Death star) would cost Navy and Infrastructure to build.

I know I've been saying a lot on here lol, but I'd also think curbing the importance of stats for this roleplay could have a benefit, make it more friendly and slightly less competitive. I.E. I think there's a predisposition for people to want to war with this sort of setting and genre, as every sci-fi movie I've seen except E.T. has to do with war.

Avoiding war would be hard, but I've been planning on a GM monitored thing wherein people with lesser stats, with good RP would have the benefit of the doubt over more powerful galactic empires with little to no RP, just because RP should be worth something.

By the way, I have nothing definite done, so any suggestions to this are more than welcome :awesome:

I like the orbital instalation thing, too... :D

What about Navy=Orbital installations and Planes=Ships? I think everyone should be able to RP with space-faring warships, personally. However, the IG Navy could correspond to Orbital installations of different types.

Also, I agree with Terra (By that I mean I like his euating of tanks with what he said, fighters with what he said and Navies with what he said.). For clarification, the 500:1 conversion was meant to be solar systems, but considering there is a 'life-support belt' for every solar system, dependant on distance from the star, it would mean roughly one planet. So I'd suggest every 500=1 solar system with 1 inhabitable planet. Although if you'd like to sacrifice a solar system and have a weird thing like two planets pulling on eachother in 1 solar system I think I'd be ok as long as it meets 500:1.

Edited by Cody Seb

That solves the planetary map issue, but we would still need a galactic map with all the systems and planets.
Planets? Or maybe solar systems, eh? If we make a maximum number of habitable planets per system...we have no problem then.
We could just take a map with the starry backround and draw solar systems on it.

tanks could be tanks and ships at the same time. Plus, space stuff is no fun without epic space battles :awesome:

I was planning on making a large map, and limiting the number of galaxies to three, and then doing maps of them. I was also thinking limiting automatically habitable planets to one or two per solar system.

What about Navy=Orbital installations and Planes=Ships? I think everyone should be able to RP with space-faring warships, personally. However, the IG Navy could correspond to Orbital installations of different types.

The thing is, Navy can go anywhere there is water (equivalent being space).

Space battles can still be handled by the fighters and smaller ships that wouldn't consume navy slots...

That's what installations and defenses are for... :P And fighters, of course. ;)

So are you thinking some kind of hovertank or something?

More like chicken walkers from Star Wars :D

Also, I think that 500 miles=Planet and 200=asteroid belt would be better

The thing is, Navy can go anywhere there is water (equivalent being space).

Space battles can still be handled by the fighters and smaller ships that wouldn't consume navy slots...

The navy could be carriers that transport the smaller ships and fighters

Edited by freakwars

Well, for one thing...Multipliers could potentially be huge for this thing--you're not going to have an interstellar civilization with only a few thousand troops and civilians... :awesome:

Yah, we would need somewhere around a x10,000,000 times multiplier for population to get even relatively realistic numbers.

More like chicken walkers from Star Wars :D

Also, I think that 500 miles=Planet and 200=asteroid belt would be better

The navy could be carriers that transport the smaller ships and fighters

I'm not sure about an asteroid belt, because they would be hard to populate, everything would always be crashing into everything else, however, I would support like 100 for an asteroid belt and 300 for an uninhabitable planet because it seems a litter more balanced.

I'm not sure about an asteroid belt, because they would be hard to populate, everything would always be crashing into everything else, however, I would support like 100 for an asteroid belt and 300 for an uninhabitable planet because it seems a litter more balanced.

The asteroid belts would be more for the resources, than the habitable space.

Also, the reason I want the tank=ship, is because, when you are defending a planet in space, you run into the classic problem of defense, cubed. An enemy fleet can come from any direction, bypassing any fixed defenses placed on placed like say, on the moons of venus or on Mars. You need a much greater number of vehicles to defend a planet, than a landside area.

Edited by freakwars

Also, I agree with Terra (By that I mean I like his euating of tanks with what he said, fighters with what he said and Navies with what he said.). For clarification, the 500:1 conversion was meant to be solar systems, but considering there is a 'life-support belt' for every solar system, dependant on distance from the star, it would mean roughly one planet. So I'd suggest every 500=1 solar system with 1 inhabitable planet. Although if you'd like to sacrifice a solar system and have a weird thing like two planets pulling on eachother in 1 solar system I think I'd be ok as long as it meets 500:1.

Well, the number two was based on how Venus could support life for a while before it had a massive version of global warming/ the greenhouse effect. So there is a life supportable range for two planets if Venus and Earth were farther away from the sun (Of course, The closer would be very hot, and the farther would be much colder.

But yah, that sounds good.