Transvaal World Cup 2009

Botha

It surprises me that LA Galaxy and NY Metrostars can reach the World Cup Quarter Finals...

Doesn't surprise me, it all really boils down to match-ups - Arctica beat VolNation (another MLS squad) while Voobaha beat a Norwegian team (not too difficult to accomplish). Every year there is at least one mediocre team that goes far in the playoffs because luck of match-ups.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SEMI-FINALS - APRIL 7

2ephbvn.jpg

Arcadian Empire’s Vieri scores from a bicycle kick against Atherton of Transvaal while Baako and Brennan look on

Arcadian Empire 1, Transvaal 0 ET (0-0 at half)

VENUE: Unification Stadium, Cape Town

GAME STATS: Shots: ARE 10; TRA 2; Shots on net: ARE 6; TRA 1; Tackles: ARE 13; TRA 17; Fouls: ARE 0; TRA 1; Corners: ARE 0; TRA 2; Passing: ARE 90%; TRA 92%; Possession: ARE 58%; TRA 42%

GOAL SUMMARY: ARE Vieri (F) 96

mn0tj9.jpg

Maakay scored Deutschland’s second goal of the match

Deutschland 2, Melloria 0 (0-0 at half)

GAME STATS: Shots: DEU 3; MEL 3; Shots on net: DEU 2; MEL 0; Tackles: DEU 14; MEL 9; Corners: DEU 0; MEL 2; Passing: DEU 95%; MEL 93%; Possession: DEU 51%; MEL 49%

GOAL SUMMARY: DEU Pizarro (F) 59; DEU Makaay (F) 86)

a8bvm.jpg

ARE 10; TRA 2

Wow, when you said I was in the top echelon of attacking teams you weren't kidding - but I'm a bit disappointed that from ten attempts, we only scored once. Funny how with a bicycle kick, a very difficult chance, we score... It's like if you watched the Manchester United v FC Porto thing today, FC Porto had so many chances, but the finishing wasn't that good and you just thought it was going to go Man U's way, and then in the final minute...

Deutschland had three chances, and scored twice. So our strikers better get on the move on or we are going to have a tough time on April 10.

And now, Deutschland... I really, really, really, cannot believe I'm in the World Cup Finals. Hopefully it will be an epic match, as it should be.

And in other news, Coach Courtney successfully applies her anger from being fired at Arcadia FC to at the task at hand - i.e. beating Transvaal. Can she repeat it again? Maybe.

Wow, when you said I was in the top echelon of attacking teams you weren't kidding - but I'm a bit disappointed that from ten attempts, we only scored once.

What's also telling was the amount of possession Arcadia had. There was one stretch for about 10-15 minutes in the second half where Transvaal simply could not clear the ball out of their own end and our keeper got was literally bombarded. I think there were 1 or 2 posts as well and one shot where Atherton was horribly out of position but the shot swung wide and only missed by a ball's width. The score *should* have been around 3-0.

As for Deutschland's win, they were helped by a real flat Mellorian performance more than anything else despite having a 2-goal margin of victory in a tournament which has seen almost all 1-goal wins (if not shootouts the decider). My money would be on Arcadia to win the final.

APRIL 4, 2009 – CONSOLATION 9th to 16th

Eskandarian scoring for VolNation

VolNation 1, Dragonia 0 (1-0 at half)

GAME STATS: Shots: VOL 3; DRA 4; Shots on net: VOL 2; DRA 1; Tackles: VOL 6; DRA 13; Corners: VOL 2; DRA 0; Passing: VOL 93%; DRA 87%; Possession: VOL 52%; DRA 48%

GOAL SUMMARY: VOL Eskandarian (F) 13

VolNation finished in 9th Place

Dragonia finished in 10th Place

Irlande finished in 11th Place

Children of Odin finished in 12th Place

ASSIGNED SQUADS

VolNation = DC United

Dragonia = Corinthians

Irlande = West Bromwich Albion

Children of Odin = Rosenborg

How sweet it is!!!!! I'll take 9th!

I did have a feeling that I had DC United, and I'm glad we did so well!

Great match Dragonia! We'll pick this back up in the Liga, I'm sure...

The Voobahian football team was celebrated for it's eighth place finish in it's first ever international major with a parade on the streets of downtown Tillery.

As the crowd screamed and wore the Voobaha flag, it was noticed that more than a few in the crowd were seen wearing a strange jersey reading "Galaxy" across the front with the name "Beckham" on the back. Strange.

Arcadia.... we wish you good luck in the finals. (gotta represent Liga, yo!) Though if you DO lose, we'll feel honoured that we were knocked out by the eventual Cup winner.

Edited by Voobaha

The Worst of the World match scheduled for yesterday in Gaborone has been reschedule to tonight in Windhoek (at the Welwitschia's home field) after a major earthquake rocked the northern territories yesterday morning causing severe damage to some of the towns and villages located there.

Tonight's Bronze Medal match in Johannesburg is unaffected and will be played as scheduled.

(OOC: earthquake = in-game event)

Edited by Botha

Mellorian President Rob Maiello wishes luck to Botha and Transvaal in the Bronze Medal Match and hopes for a cleanly-played match. After secretly descending into the locker room to lash his national side after their dismal performance in the semis, he gave a motivational speech to his team and wished them the best for the bronze.

* It'll be Melloria's highest finish in soccer in the nation's history, and hopefully catapults them into the FIFOB Top 25.

APRIL 9 – BRONZE MEDAL MATCH

23hruxg.jpg

#18 Cassano of Melloria scoring against Alderton of Transvaal

Melloria 2, Transvaal 0 (1-0 at half)

VENUE: Jake Felan Stadium, Johannesburg

GAME STATS: Shots: MEL 7; TRA 2; Shots on net: MEL 3; TRA 0; Tackles: MEL 13; TRA 11; Corners: MEL 0; TRA 2; Passing: MEL 94%; TRA 95%; Possession: MEL 59%; TRA 41%

GOAL SUMMARY: MEL Cassano (F) 10; MEL Totti (F) 61

APRIL 9 – WORST OF THE WORLD

4kfyw3.jpg

Checors and Windhoek Welwitschia make their entrance on to the pitch

Checors 1, Windhoek Welwitschia 1 (4-3 PK) (1-0 at half)

VENUE: Khomasdal Stadium, Windhoek

GAME STATS: Shots: CHE 7; WWA 4; Shots on net: CHE 3; WWA 3; Tackles: CHE 17; WWA 21; Fouls: CHE 0; WWA 2; Bookings: CHE 0; WWA 1; Corners: CHE 3; WWA 1; Passing: CHE 96%; WWA 90%; Possession: CHE 55%; WWA 45%

GOAL SUMMARY: CHE Baki (F) 37; WWA Schulp (F) 80

PENALTY KICK SHOOTOUT: CHE (4) 0-1-0-1-1-1; WWA (3) 1-0-1-1-0-0; winning goal CHE Bastien (M)

Melloria finished in 3rd Place

Transvaal finished in 4th Place

Checors finished in 43rd Place

Windhoek Welwitschia finished in 44th Place

ASSIGNED TEAMS

Meloria = Roma

Transvaal = Ajax Amsterdam

Checors = Lorient

Windhoek Welwitschia = Wycombe Wanderers

2vijp6e.jpg

TRANSVALER DAAGLIKSE NUUS - Championship Final Preview

In their first TWC appearance last year, Arcadian Empire entered the tournament ranked 6th but ended up missing the playoffs by 2 points to finish 5th in Pool ‘C’. Arcadian Empire then had an easy time in the consolation round as they defeated PDSAR 4-1 and then Dun Carrig 4-0 to finish up in 17th Place.

This is Deutschland’s third appearance in the TWC, only one of four nations (Transvaal, Sooners, and Children of Odin) to have participated in all three tournaments. In 2007, playing in the then-called Nordreich Cup, Deutschland finished in 4th Place in Pool ‘A’ and made it as far as the quarter-finals before bowing out in 7th Place. In 2008, Deutschland was ranked in the top-six and won Pool C but then were upset in their opening playoff match after losing a player to an early red card. Deutschland finished in 9th Place – not before thrashing Melloria 4-0 in the first round of consolation placement matches.

Deutschland and Arcadian Empire have both competed in the same pool – Pool ‘C’ – in 2008 and 2009 in which they have split their head-to-head meetings: Deutschland defeated Arcadian Empire by the score of 2-1 in 2007 while Arcadian Empire won in 2009 with the scoreline reversed. Arcadian Empire goes into tomorrow's match the last undefeated team of the tournament.

APRIL 10 – TRANSVAAL CUP III GOLD MEDAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Deutschland 1, Arcadian Empire 0 (0-0 at half)

VENUE: Staatspresident Botha Stadium, Pretoria

FIRST HALF STATISTICS

Shots: DEU 3; ARE 4

Shots on net: DEU 2; ARE 3

Tackles: DEU 4; ARE 4

Fouls: DEU 0; ARE 0

Bookings: DEU 0; ARE 0

Corners: DEU 0; ARE 2

Passing: DEU 91%; ARE 93%

Possession: DEU 43%; ARE 57%

FINAL MATCH STATISTICS

Shots: DEU 5; ARE 7

Shots on net: DEU 4; ARE 4

Tackles: DEU 7; ARE 11

Fouls: DEU 0; ARE 0

Bookings: DEU 0; ARE 0

Corners: DEU 0; ARE 2

Passing: DEU 91%; ARE 92%

Possession: DEU 45%; ARE 55%

GOAL SUMMARY: DEU Makaay (F) 59

MAN OF THE MATCH: DEU Kahn (GK)

2v2ei4k.jpg

Deutschland and Arcadian Empire squads entering Staatspresident Botha Stadium

2qtj2o7.jpg

The view prior to kick-off of the full house at Staatspresident Botha Stadium in Pretoria

2zta91v.jpg

Deutschland goalkeeper Kahn on an early goal kick

2l9t9o3.jpg

Arcadian Empire’s midfielder Davids tackling Deisler

2r26tlu.jpg

Makaay booting in the championship-winning goal

COMMENTARY: In what has been regarded a shock upset, Deutschland won the third annual Transvaal World Cup after forward Makaay scored an opportune lone goal at 59 minutes to steal victory from the jaws of defeat from an obviously more dominant squad from Arcadian Empire.

“It was a matter of substance over style” said Transvaler midfielder Detlef Botha, who was handling the colour commentary on the international television broadcast feed. “Arcadian Empire by far looked the better team today – in my humble opinion they should have won – however they could not convert their whole host of early chances into goals. They looked too fancy and pretty at times while Deutschland only had one real attempt which I would have called dangerous – an open net rebound off the right post but the ball missing by mere inches. Makaay’s goal was simply one of those shockers which just came fast out of nowhere and caught Arcadian keeper Toldo flatfooted. He intercepted a clear from the Arcadian left back, I think he then had two or three defenders covering him – they should have been able to stop or block him. My guess would be that Toldo was screened on the shot because he was ral slow to re-act”

Thurston Alderton, goalkeeper of the Transvaal Springboks, took in the match with his family and commented the following to the press when asked for his take on the match: “I thought it was a classic goalkeeper duel, in that Kahn saw a lot more action than his opposite Toldo but he held the fort down better. When Toldo had to make the one important save, he came up short. Arcadian Empire really challenged Kahn of Deutschland, while Toldo was never really put to the test. Sometimes the more pressure a keeper faces, the better he reacts and performs because his reflexes and timing are sharper and better tuned to the game.”

“Arcadian Empire should have buried Deutschland in the first twenty minutes, but they didn’t and then tired out late in the second half when they needed to mount a comeback” was Springbok’s manager Bartnel Botha’s observation. “Arcadian Empire had the ball in Deutschland’s end for almost 25 minutes after the opening whistle but tried too hard for the perfect goal, if that makes any sense, when they should have just taken the easy shot. They wasted all their energy in the first half while Deutschland played a more reserved game, pacing themselves much better throughout.”

After the final whistle blew, both teams assembled at centre field as Staatspresident Botha and Prime Minister Jakob Hertzog appeared to present the Breytenbach Memorial Cup to goalkeeper Kahn, the captain of the Deutschland team. Botha then thanked all the teams and foreign supporters which had made the long journey to Southern Africa to participate in the annual event. He wished them all a safe journey home and expressed hope that everyone would return again next year to take part again in 2010 before he officially declared the tournament over for another year.

Deutschand won Transvaal World Cup III

Arcadian Empire finished in 2nd Place

ASSIGNED SQUADS

Deutschland = Bayern Munich

Arcadian Empire = Inter Milan

2qaoi8o.jpg

9880vr.jpg

Arcadian comes up short at the worst possible time hahahah

Yeah... much like Deutschland choked in 2007 and 2008.

Maybe next year will be Arcadia's turn - they were by far the cream of the tournament, a real shocker they couldn't pull it off when they had to.

What I really liked about this year was just how close almost all the matches were. No blowouts and everyone had a shot compared to previous years. If we get a large number of returnees, then it should be an even tougher tournament in 2010.

Hail!

As the team returns to Deutschland, they will be received by crowds and widespread festivities as they secure the World Cup. Once that they arrive to Berlin, Kaiser Martens will personally congratulate each and grant each member the title of "Ritter", an equivalent to the English knighting.

Their victory came in a period of rebirth and reconstruction in Germany and therefore they are recognized by again showing the world that the Nation still is in many ways a force to be reckoned with, filling the folk with new hopes to fight in all fronts in the same way as the players did on the field.

Second place!

Unexpected really, although I did predict a loss - as I believe I was given a 4-star team while Deutschland was a 5-star team. But, that being said, silver medal's are great! We came here expecting another low finish, we came 17th last time, and to jump from that to 2nd is a great feat in itself! I'm very happy with the result.

So really, no hard feelings - I congratulate Deutschland on their World Cup win and hopefully we can improve on our result next year.

Congratulations Deutschland!