Universal Health Care Happiness

raskull

So I just picked up the Universal Health Care wonder a few days ago and I'm pretty sure my happiness went up by 3 points not 2 as stated in the information index. Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't think so. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is there anyone that remembers definitely getting an increase of only 2 points? I asked around a bit but couldn't find anyone who remembered when they bought theirs so I figured I'd post here.

If the UHC really is only +2hp then I'm thinking there must be some other component of the happiness formula that I'm missing, and was somehow triggered by the purchase. Maybe 12 wonders (1 years worth) has some significance? Or maybe I the +3% citizens caused me to pass some threshold? (Probably only Syzygy would be able to answer these questions.)

Oh, and before anyone jumps in with all the usual suspects, no my trades didn't change, no my environment didn't change, no it wasn't my nation's anniversary (I wish I still had birthdays...), and no I didn't have any events that expired.

Thanks for any insight.

I didn't actually record it (that's why I still have this tiny bit of doubt about the whole thing) but if I'm right the difference in income would've been about $12.15 (~ 3 * 4.15 * 0.99 minus a bit for the extra citizens), or about $3.65 in actual taxes. I just derived that from -3 happiness now, so if you're looking to derive happiness back from income, don't bother because we'd just be going in circles.

Did an event expire on the same day?

See last paragraph of my post. (No.)

Did you lose any trades?

Again, last paragraph, and I think I have an extra happiness point, losing trades wouldn't do that.

Did you have your government changed that day? (Intentionally or unintentionally)

Or a trade partner changed teams

Nope gov didn't change (and I obviously have the Great Monument so their preference didn't change either.) Again, trade partners changing teams would lose me a happiness point, not get me an extra one (but they didn't anyway).

Like a few others said, I'd imagine you lost an event that was providing -1 happiness.

Again, last paragraph. Losing an event was the first thing I thought of too. I checked my happiness and committed it to memory (possibly incorrectly) just before buying the UHC though, which was nowhere around update, and I have 0 expired events.

Oh well, thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Edited by raskull

My best guess for the +1happiness you got under the 60% Soldier Efficiency due to the 3% pop booster and gained -1 envi.

Once again, see the last paragraph (maybe I need to put it in big letters). My environment didn't change, and my soldier efficiency isn't close enough to 60% of my citizen count to have to worry about it. Good theory though (best one I've heard so far), had I had a bit more soldiers it could've indeed been the problem.

Holy crap does anybody even read the OP before making their own post sheesh. I don't know what to tell you raskull you may have stumbled on to something here we'll have to find someone buying the UHC and get them to do a before and after.

-Veritas

Holy crap does anybody even read the OP before making their own post sheesh. I don't know what to tell you raskull you may have stumbled on to something here we'll have to find someone buying the UHC and get them to do a before and after.

-Veritas

Since you are so far along, I volunteer you to take down your UHC and put it back again next month ;)

I maybe able to figure it out but I have a difficulty to find out what is the default happiness level of a brand new nation...

Since you are so far along, I volunteer you to take down your UHC and put it back again next month ;)

Heh, if it weren't for the whole one wonder every 30 days thing I might actually consider it. I could part with 100 million pixels to prove to myself I'm not crazy. :)

As for figuring out the happiness formula (or rather, the components of happiness, the formula is just summing them all up), CN:TE allows you to start with a band new nation and is a great way to experiment with things.

I read it, I just have a stupid sense of humour. Apologies all round.

Actually if just one person did it I probably would've chuckled and let it go, but the fact that it was nearly every reply kind of hit a nerve. Maybe they were all joking and my sense of humor is the problem, regardless, sorry your joke got lost in the shuffle.

Actually if just one person did it I probably would've chuckled and let it go, but the fact that it was nearly every reply kind of hit a nerve. Maybe they were all joking and my sense of humor is the problem, regardless, sorry your joke got lost in the shuffle.

this germ did :P

You sure you're accounting for your income modifiers (like Banks, etc.)?

I was comparing my happiness pre and post UHC, which is unaffected by the income modifiers. But yes, I'm aware that $2.00 base income is really $4.15 after max (non-SDC) modifiers.

You probably had an event that expired that day or a trade partner switched teams...

LOL... jk :)

I know in this day and age 3 happiness doesn't equal 3 happiness right? 3 HP only equals 3 HP if your environment is perfect (I think?!?)... So it should never have gone up exactly 3 happiness... never does when I add a stadium anyway... but I doubt your environment is bad enough for it to only go up 2.x and x be low enough for you to think it only went up 2.

Anyways, I'll be recording the exact change when I get my UHC wonder... so check back in about a year and a half and I'll have the answer for you :)

You probably had an event that expired that day or a trade partner switched teams...

That must be it! A dozen people can't be wrong! :)

I know in this day and age 3 happiness doesn't equal 3 happiness right?

Yep, I was already compensating for environment's impact on happiness. It was actually an increase of 2.97, and I expected 1.98.

so check back in about a year and a half and I'll have the answer for you :)

I'll be waiting! Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited by raskull