Manhattan Project

GOONS

I am a young nation at the moment but when I finally can get wonders I will try get the Manhattan project as quickly as possible with out stunting my nations growth if I were to get before I entered the top 5% when should I get it?As my 10th wonder 5th?Is it worth it at all?

I am a young nation at the moment but when I finally can get wonders I will try get the Manhattan project as quickly as possible with out stunting my nations growth if I were to get before I entered the top 5% when should I get it?As my 10th wonder 5th?Is it worth it at all?

It is worth it. As you develop your nation; at some point you'll reach a point where most of the other nations in your range are going to have them. Now do you what to have to fight a nuclearly armed nation with or without nukes yourself?

I would get it as your 5th wonder.

I would get it as your 5th wonder.

It really depends on your nation. Giving numbers can be a bit arbtrary if a nation doesn't follow an exact path. Some people will sit at infra jumps where others race ahead, and all will be importing, buying and/or raiding technology in differing amounts. You should base your MP purchase on how much it will hurt your income compared with how many people in your NS range have nukes already. The exact balance for determining which is better for you even then really depends on personal preference and circumstance for the most part.

If you want or think there's a reasonable chance of you getting into a major war then certainly get MP early on.

The costs are not as significant as some people suggest, the daily bill costs for even 20 nukes is only around 0.25mil depending on your resources, or you could get just 10 and cut the bills to about 80k. You also miss out on some income by having MP over an economic wonder but it's not that massive a difference either - at 4999 infra I'm getting 5.10 mil taxes a day atm compared with about 5.35 mil if I had bought NRL instead of MP.

So the question is: do you think MP will save you more than you lose in income? For me the answer is certainly yes. Almost everyone expects the next big war to be nuclear, and with only 15% of nations in my range being nuclear, I'll be far more effective with the capacity to cripple the tough ones, and by losing far less infra will almost certianly save the amount I've lost in income. The same goes for SDI which I plan to get soon before a second economic wonder.

Edited by Chairman Cao

If you want or think there's a reasonable chance of you getting into a major war then certainly get MP early on.

The costs are not as significant as some people suggest, the daily bill costs for even 20 nukes is only around 0.25mil depending on your resources, or you could get just 10 and cut the bills to about 80k. You also miss out on some income by having MP over an economic wonder but it's not that massive a difference either - at 4999 infra I'm getting 5.10 mil taxes a day atm compared with about 5.35 mil if I had bought NRL instead of MP.

So the question is: do you think MP will save you more than you lose in income? For me the answer is certainly yes. Almost everyone expects the next big war to be nuclear, and with only 15% of nations in my range being nuclear, I'll be far more effective with the capacity to cripple the tough ones, and by losing far less infra will almost certianly save the amount I've lost in income. The same goes for SDI which I plan to get soon before a second economic wonder.

THIS^^

Bought the SDI as wonder #5. Don't forget spies and technology.

The Manhattan Project won't save you any money, but it will however make sure your opponent pays for the damage dealt to you.

I wouldn't, because if you got into a nuclear war, you'd be sitting there, and be getting nuked, and wouldn't have any way to do any real comparative damage to the enemy.

This.

Sure, the SDI will make your opponent spend more nukes on you but you're still getting nuked and won't be able to respond, with the MP you can nuke back.

I bought the SDI as my 4th wonder, I still don't have a MP as I'm well above the 5% but I'm still going to get one, after my WRC.

The Manhattan Project won't save you any money, but it will however make sure your opponent pays for the damage dealt to you.

If I can get my opponents into nuclear anarchy and bill-lock it certainly will save me money because they won't be able to do any damage, so I'll have to rebuy less military and more importantly less infra at the end. MP works both offensively and defensively.

Granted that SDI is probably the better first choice in pure money-saving terms though, but it's not half as fun :)

If I can get my opponents into nuclear anarchy and bill-lock it certainly will save me money because they won't be able to do any damage, so I'll have to rebuy less military and more importantly less infra at the end. MP works both offensively and defensively.

Granted that SDI is probably the better first choice in pure money-saving terms though, but it's not half as fun :)

Oh, I apologize, I thought we were talking about capable opponents, ones who keep warchests.

Oh, I apologize, I thought we were talking about capable opponents, ones who keep warchests.

No problem, it wasn't suggsted anywhere though.

Even against those with significant warchests having nukes will still save me money - though I can't bill lock them I can still take out their aircraft and navies much faster, as well their infra and tech, all of which will lower the damage they can do to me and thus save me money. Someone who has enough warchest to fully buy back all the infra in addition to aircraft and navies over the course of a long war would be an exception.

Edited by Chairman Cao

No problem, it wasn't suggsted anywhere though.

Even against those with significant warchests having nukes will still save me money - though I can't bill lock them I can still take out their aircraft and navies much faster, as well their infra and tech, all of which will lower the damage they can do to me and thus save me money. Someone who has enough warchest to fully buy back all the infra in addition to aircraft and navies over the course of a long war would be an exception.

You will be getting nuked as well though, so the odds won't be that high, and comparitively, you'll still save so little an amount on the tech multiplier, it doesn't really save you that much, if anything. An opponent with a warchest would just buy back his aircraft. So sure you may save money on damages, but the cost for the nuke is probably the same price, if not more.

Edited by youwish959

The advantage SDI has in terms of nukes vs. SDIs though is that in most wars your target will have at least two others they are fighting, if all three of you have SDIs his nuclear stockpile will disappear very quickly. If you have one, but the other nations do not, he will most likely ignore you and concentrate his nukes on targets without SDIs.