Savings?

Decomposition

Hi All,

Currently having a small debate with others about the "right" amount of money to save up for times of war (measured as number of days of tax collection in order to control for nation size). Some seem to spend everything on infra, tech, and military while others keep up to 15 days worth of tax collection in reserve for war times.

Would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others on this matter. What do you do?

Hi All,

Currently having a small debate with others about the "right" amount of money to save up for times of war (measured as number of days of tax collection in order to control for nation size). Some seem to spend everything on infra, tech, and military while others keep up to 15 days worth of tax collection in reserve for war times.

Would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others on this matter. What do you do?

Depends on the size of the nation. New nations up to mid-sized nations should be basically ending each day dead broke. Growth is more important at that stage and they are easy to send aid to. Once a nation starts to get up to having bills of $1.5 million a day, it becomes more important for them to have a war chest set aside in case of war since if they are anarchied, they can become bill locked and can not be aided out of it, so being able to pay ones bills while waiting anarchy to end becomes more important than growth.

Edited by Count Rupert

I'm currently saving up for a $100 million warchest, I'm almost at half way right now so it should be another 6-7 days before I get there.

My bills are about $5.5 million, I just really want to be prepared if I do get into a war.

If you are at war you should not have many days of taxes saved up since it's likely that you will be anarchied and you really don't want to be forced to collect in anarchy.

He meant how much do you have in cash right now saved, not days of collections.

For anyone over 5k infra: Infra * 5000 = warchest

That's a nice, reasonable number for a warchest, IMO. :)

That's 250mil at 5k infra. The alternative is to go for broke and pay your bills by winning ground battles, which is not always going to happen, no matter how good you are.

I'm at 5800 infra. Bills are 3mil per day. So I only need 60mil for 20 days of bills, which is the absolute worst case scenario. The extra 230mil goes towards amenities such as replacing nukes, missiles, and spies, as well as sending out aid.

Edited by x Tela x

Warchests are over-rated. As long as you aren't a complete noob you can loot the money you need for bills.

This is true in conventional warfare and at infrastructure levels at or around 4,000 or lower. The higher you get, the harder it is to pull it off. When 2mil pays your bills, it's doable. When you need 3mil, 4mil, 5mil etc, you're screwed. Eat a nuke? You're REALLY screwed.

It's an option, but stealing your bills doesn't always work in today's high infra game.

For big nations just labor camp swap at about a 10 day interval. That's what I do and i never have less than 100m lying around except for maybe the 5 minutes before I collect taxes. Just mix it up a bit by collecting on the 11th or 12th day sometimes so that your opponenets can't accurately predict when you're low on cash, and you'll have enough to pay bills for atleast 12 days. Granted this has the downside of if you get anarchied your lost big time on the 10 days you didn't collect but most of the time you'll have some warning about a war so just collect at the first sign of danger without buying infra first and you'll be sitting on some very nice cash.

-Veritas

Warchests are over-rated. As long as you aren't a complete noob you can loot the money you need for bills.

Agreed^

The more money you save the more money can be looted from your forces during ground attacks. Also the more money you have, the less you will be able to loot from the nation you are at war with. What you need to do is focus on getting modifiers that lower your daily bills.

Agreed^

The more money you save the more money can be looted from your forces during ground attacks. Also the more money you have, the less you will be able to loot from the nation you are at war with. What you need to do is focus on getting modifiers that lower your daily bills.

this is prety much only true at low levels. Once you are in range of nuclear nations, you need to bite the bullet and get a war chest, otherwise 1 nuke will bill lock you.

Wouldn't that be Infra * 50000?

I was thinking the same thing when I looked at my 35m result...

It seems a bit large to me though, unless some of it is there to buy infra once the war is over...

He speaks the truth ^ up there. Although labor camp swapping will take care of the warchest for you. The cap of money that can be stolen from you is 1m an insignificant amount when your bills top 8m a day.

I would be worried if a large nation fought a war without having labour camps in place.

Edited by Myalam